• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

BT have bought the naimg rights to Murrayfield

http://www.scotsman....-deal-1-3411756

£20 million. Wipes out the debt of £11 million, so the one million a year servicing the debt and 2 million paying it off is now available for other uses. £9 million war chest available as well.

Two objectivs at pro level in my mind - a new stadium for Edinburgh and a third pro team (in that order). Also might look at the semi pro league to bring the standard of prem one up.

I awoke in the night with a fever .....

#2 AbductedbyAliens

AbductedbyAliens
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Excellent news. I didnt realise the debt was that low.

Going to take a long time before we can rebuild scottish rugby though....

#3 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Good to hear  :ok: because of the debt the club game in Scotland has really been held back for 2 decades now.

Also hopefully a chance to get a more high profile national team coach in, rather than the bargain basement coaches we have had to look for.

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#4 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Excellent news. I didnt realise the debt was that low.

Going to take a long time before we can rebuild scottish rugby though....

Yep, for all that McKie did, he introduced some financial rigour and got the debt down by about ten million in his five years. The twenty mill won't all be up front obviously, more likely over five years, but it gives some stability and it's possible to consider a scenario five years from now with Edinburgh in a new home and a third pro team in Aberdeen.

#5 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Yep, for all that McKie did, he introduced some financial rigour and got the debt down by about ten million in his five years. The twenty mill won't all be up front obviously, more likely over five years, but it gives some stability and it's possible to consider a scenario five years from now with Edinburgh in a new home and a third pro team in Aberdeen.

I think the Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire pro-side is something they have really wanted to get off the ground for years.

Edinburgh has always been talked about getting their own stadium for years, but think SRU were hoping it would get off the ground once the club was more self sufficient (I think SRU would be very wary about building another ground, unless its for use for the nation team youth sides also)

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#6 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Good to hear  :ok: because of the debt the club game in Scotland has really been held back for 2 decades now.

Also hopefully a chance to get a more high profile national team coach in, rather than the bargain basement coaches we have had to look for.

We've just secured one of the most successful coaches in Europe for the national team, so no need for that!

#7 Duncan Blackheart

Duncan Blackheart
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:42 AM

I hope a significant amount is made available for 4g pitches across the country. Means players can practice all year round if the sru are determined not to switch to summer rugby.
All imbeciles are more or less Thompsons from Sunderland.

#8 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Deal announced today. Appears to be £20million over four years. Great bit of work by the SRU.

#9 jailender

jailender
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

No third pro team though.

#10 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

No third pro team though.

Not the best way to spend the money at the moment.

Four or five years time

#11 jailender

jailender
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Don't think that will happen, unfortunately. Hopefully, if as the SRU are saying, some of the money is to be spent on grass-roots rugby, the game will get a boost in areas like the Borders, where the chahnge to pro rugby has had a detrimental effect, with most of the money coming from sponsors in bigger population areas.

#12 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Don't think that will happen, unfortunately. Hopefully, if as the SRU are saying, some of the money is to be spent on grass-roots rugby, the game will get a boost in areas like the Borders, where the chahnge to pro rugby has had a detrimental effect, with most of the money coming from sponsors in bigger population areas.

I think it'll happen but in a few years (arund 5 I reckon). To get a third pro team we need

1. More young players of pro quality coming through

2. Two good existing teams (top 6 in the league, regularly getting out of European groups)

3. A way to pay an extra £6-7 million a year to run it

This deal should go part way to delivering each of these. The first is what the focus of the money is being put towards. The second will be achieved partly by delivering the first. Paying off the debt makes a few million more available each year, success on the pitch puts extra tickets on the gate and therefore money in the coffers and helps Dodson and co lever more money out of sponsors and broadcasters. But I think 5 years is the minimum for this

#13 rasputin

rasputin
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

I certainly would love to see an Aberdeenshire pro team come into things, whether that is realistic at the moment i don't know. I definitely think that investment in the lower levels of rugby with particular emphasis in the borders is a must.

I have thought for a number of years that there is real opportunities for Rugby to gain fans from football, however i don't think the SRU have it in them to push that forward marketing wise.

With Edinburgh, i think Murrayfield holds them back, they need to be in a ground that looks busy when there is 5-6,000 in attendance.

Not Me First. All Of Us First. 

#14 Chesney Hawkes TA

Chesney Hawkes TA
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

With the cash in the French and English leagues, more and more Scottish players will play in those countries.  Difficult to see how we will have the depth to support three competitive professional teams.  Other than ship in loads of South Africans, a la Edinburgh.

#15 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

With the cash in the French and English leagues, more and more Scottish players will play in those countries.  Difficult to see how we will have the depth to support three competitive professional teams.  Other than ship in loads of South Africans, a la Edinburgh.

Only four Saffers confirmed in next year's squad, one of those Scottish Qualified.