Oil Can Harrys.....

Booked......

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tartan Docs

Tartan Docs
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

.....approximately 10 seconds after the draw was made.....looking forward to going back to one of the most welcoming bars that we have ever partied in.....

#2 mariokempes56

mariokempes56
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

A few good nights there were had.

#3 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Was fantastic last time  :ok:

Hopefully they have a air conditioning unit put in, as even the winter game v Northern Ireland you were drenched with sweat after just minutes of walking into the place  :-))

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#4 TheBoysinGreen

TheBoysinGreen
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Good to hear you lads enjoyed yourself. I've had a good few in Oil Can Harrys myself. 

Baggot St is a great spot for pints too. Some of Dublin's oldest pubs are along that stretch. I always tell away fans to avoid the Temple Bar area. Far too touristy and and pricey, Nice area though

#5 VivaLaAndy

VivaLaAndy
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

I ended up in here on my first away trip against N Ireland a few years back. Good night to be had! Can't wait to go back!

Scotland is OUR country. VOTE YES! 2014.

#6 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

We had 1 drink here for N Ireland game but it was awful. Hot, Sweaty and cramped as well as packed full. Also took ages to get served. We then found the school house just up the road and it was excellent, spacious and clean breathable air and not packed to the rafters with TA so got to mix with the locals. For wales and ROI we headed straight to School house and avoided this place.

#7 Green_Tide_Rising

Green_Tide_Rising
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

We had 1 drink here for N Ireland game but it was awful. Hot, Sweaty and cramped as well as packed full. Also took ages to get served. We then found the school house just up the road and it was excellent, spacious and clean breathable air and not packed to the rafters with TA so got to mix with the locals. For wales and ROI we headed straight to School house and avoided this place.

Ya know  - ive never gotten the fascination with Oil Can Harrys myself either

Not a big fan of it

But it does seem to be well liked by not just football fans but rugby fans who come over for a game

Anyway Jagtag  - schoolhouse is a lovely bar , particulary on a sunny day  - sitting outside is great , plus its right beside the stadium which helps

If you want to drink near the stadium , then I suggest going into the Ballsbridge/upeer baggot st area area - some nice pubs there - plus VERY near the stadium

See link

http://www.dublintou...ty/ballsbridge/

#8 Green_Tide_Rising

Green_Tide_Rising
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Shud say folks  - if anybody is booking hotels or whatever for the game - please feel free to PM me if you want my opinion on it before u book it

I live in Dublin btw

Will be glad to help

Cheers

#9 Mabozza Ritchie

Mabozza Ritchie
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

^^ how big is your house? :-)

Ayrshire Alliance TA

#10 Green_Tide_Rising

Green_Tide_Rising
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

^^ how big is your house? :-)

Its an Open Invite to all the T.A  :ok:

#11 Flora MaDonald

Flora MaDonald
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I've been in Dublin many a time and never heard of this Can Harry's place.

Is Kennedy's on Drumcondra Road still trading?

#12 Bristolhibby

Bristolhibby
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

We were the same for the NI game. However we ended up managing to get two barstools at the bar. We never moved for hours. (Obviously moved for piss breaks). It was great, we got served immediately, chatted to numerous TA and helped order pints, with us taking money and passing back pints. Nearer KO we mooved along to the School House.

OCH Looked far too full for the Ireland game so went along to the School House, sat in the sunshine had a few beers. We can echo the liking for the place.

J

#13 Green_Tide_Rising

Green_Tide_Rising
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've been in Dublin many a time and never heard of this Can Harry's place.

Is Kennedy's on Drumcondra Road still trading?

Kennedys is slightly outside the city centre in the north dublin area (drumcondra)

AFAIK it is still open for business - will check that out for you and get back to you on that

#14 Flora MaDonald

Flora MaDonald
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Kennedys is slightly outside the city centre in the north dublin area (drumcondra)

AFAIK it is still open for business - will check that out for you and get back to you on that

Cheers, GTR :ok:

Aye, wee Bertie Ahern drinks in the boozer next to it (Fagan's).

#15 Charlie Endell

Charlie Endell
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

I mind going into the Cat & Cage on Drumcondra Road and having an uneasy feeling that the place seemed familiar - it was only after a while I realised I'd called in for a nightcap the night before.

Kennedys (they haven't bothered with an apostrophe on the signage) was where I had my first pint of Guinness outside of GB & NI - I was a bit miffed when the barman only poured some of my pint and then went back to reading his paper :lol: .

Edited by Charlie Endell, 27 February 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play.