Getting To Georgia Diy Style

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lazy_ar*e_student

lazy_ar*e_student
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi.

I see from other the other thread that there is the option of a fans charter to the game next year. I see that it is possible to get to Georgia using commercial flights via Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Munich. Did any fans do it this way when we last played Georgia? Me and a couple of friends are keen to go but slightly hesitant about getting back in time for the Germany game on the Monday. I'd imagine that flights for this area might start to be released soon.

Any thoughts?

Now a lazy ar*e for the cooncil

#2 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

September/October time flights will be released from the main airlines (probably have a bit longer to wait for the "cheapo" airlines if you are planning on using them to go via another destination that has onward travel to Tbilisi)

A fair number of straight forward routes, but also a couple "interesting" routes from Scotland.

Only problem for getting back for the Germany game is if you are planning on returning via Germany (and Amsterdam) as I would assume the Germans will be fast booking up flights to Scotland on the Saturday and Sunday for the game on Monday, so price might jump up fast.

Edited by wanderer, 03 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#3 Donaldo87

Donaldo87
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Provisionally looking at flying via Warsaw. Hoping to come back on the morning of the game. Hopefully pick up those flights at the end of September and then pick up some cheap flights to Warsaw later on when they come up.

#4 lazy_ar*e_student

lazy_ar*e_student
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

<script language='javascript'> </script>

September/October time flights will be released from the main airlines (probably have a bit longer to wait for the "cheapo" airlines if you are planning on using them to go via another destination that has onward travel to Tbilisi)

A fair number of straight forward routes, but also a couple "interesting" routes from Scotland.

Only problem for getting back for the Germany game is if you are planning on returning via Germany (and Amsterdam) as I would assume the Germans will be fast booking up flights to Scotland on the Saturday and Sunday for the game on Monday, so price might jump up fast.

Thats a really interesting point- and lets be honest the Germans have history aboout invading Europe during September! Something that I have to look at.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Now a lazy ar*e for the cooncil

#5 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

<script language='javascript'> </script>

Thats a really interesting point- and lets be honest the Germans have history aboout invading Europe during September! Something that I have to look at.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Aye. My planned route involves me going via Amsterdam from and to Glasgow, and will be booking that leg of the journey the day the flights are release. Got my onward route to Tbilisi all sorted, just a case of waiting until I get the first leg booked.

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#6 kumnio

kumnio
  • 15,271 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Flights seem much more reasonable, and many more options than last time.

Wikipedia is great for things like planning trips, stick in Tbilisi Airport and you can see what destinations are available, sometimes the more adventurous are the best.

Im hoping to spend a week or so in Tbilisi, maybe with a stopover in Istanbul.

Let 2014 be the start of a better Scotland.

#7 allyfaelargs

allyfaelargs
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Turkish airlines Edinburgh-Istanbul-Tbilisi, about a 4-5 hour flight each leg. 

#8 tattiescone69

tattiescone69
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Turkish airlines Edinburgh-Istanbul-Tbilisi, about a 4-5 hour flight each leg. 

Problem is the Turkish flight gets in around 6 pm , need to hole up for the night in Istanbul or wait four hours for a connecting flight which arrives in Tbilisi at 2 am or something .Georgia Airlines from Schipol looks better , not sure about the cost though

#9 Khana Lagur

Khana Lagur
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

We went via Frankfurt last time and it was a good price and good connection. But we've also looked ahead and saw the possible difficulties with transiting back via Germany, so will be going through Istanbul this time.

#10 heid

heid
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

air baltic via riga for us last time

#11 WillfaeSwindon

WillfaeSwindon
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hi.

I see from other the other thread that there is the option of a fans charter to the game next year. I see that it is possible to get to Georgia using commercial flights via Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Munich. Did any fans do it this way when we last played Georgia? Me and a couple of friends are keen to go but slightly hesitant about getting back in time for the Germany game on the Monday. I'd imagine that flights for this area might start to be released soon.

Any thoughts?

Think we flew via Vienna the last time, with Austrian.

$FA - Shafting Fans Again!

#12 euan2020

euan2020
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

last time i went KLM to Kiev and then Ukranian Airlines Kiev to Tblisi  - had a stopver in Kiev on way back (although Kieve is a trek to City Centre )

#13 tattiescone69

tattiescone69
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

last time i went KLM to Kiev and then Ukranian Airlines Kiev to Tblisi  - had a stopver in Kiev on way back (although Kieve is a trek to City Centre )

Doubt if many will go anywhere near the Ukraine this time

#14 BremnerLorimerGray

BremnerLorimerGray
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

The route I looked at was via Amsterdam(1 night), Istanbul(1 night).  Arrive in Tbilisi the day of the match and fly back the same route with 1 more night in Istanbul.  3/4 of us fancy doing it this way.

Chino Army. Scotlands only Chino based supporters club. We don't do Kilts, We do Chino's

And what about you, my fair lady? Can i trouble you for a quick Lewinsky?

#15 tattiescone69

tattiescone69
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

The route I looked at was via Amsterdam(1 night), Istanbul(1 night).  Arrive in Tbilisi the day of the match and fly back the same route with 1 more night in Istanbul.  3/4 of us fancy doing it this way.

We're going via istanbul , means arriving and leaving in the middle of the night but hey ho