Photo

Commentators And Pundits

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 irnbruman

irnbruman
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

I cant recall 2 sets of worse teams from the State Broadcaster and ITV.   

Mowbray was ok but partnered by Phil Neville (jeez was he awful).

Tyldesley and Townsend (impossible tow fin 2 more moronic buffoons than these two).

Gary Lineker and the panel - Seedorf, Lennon, Juninho ,Lawrenson - even Lennon is subdued. - just awful, bland and boring.

Adrian Childs (muppet)  - Hoddle - boring, Dixon - still boring , Viera - boring , Poyet - whats he fooking saying? . Where's Keano - the only panelist worth his salt.

Bring back Jack Charlton.

#2 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,897 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Strachan is the best I've seen which is very encouraging for us.

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#3 irnbruman

irnbruman
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Ive not seen Strachan on yet. Like hi m as a pundit as well.

#4 Robroysboy

Robroysboy
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I cant recall 2 sets of worse teams from the State Broadcaster and ITV.   

Mowbray was ok but partnered by Phil Neville (jeez was he awful).

Tyldesley and Townsend (impossible tow fin 2 more moronic buffoons than these two).

Gary Lineker and the panel - Seedorf, Lennon, Juninho ,Lawrenson - even Lennon is subdued. - just awful, bland and boring.

Adrian Childs (muppet)  - Hoddle - boring, Dixon - still boring , Viera - boring , Poyet - whats he fooking saying? . Where's Keano - the only panelist worth his salt.

Bring back Jack Charlton.

Were ROI not doing a tour of USA?

At least Roy speaks him mind. You would think england had a great performance, "lets stay positive" seems the party line and everyone is happy to go along with it. Like ostriches with their head in the sand.
I thought england were rank rotten, especially rooney.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0PcpeiJsADM

Alba GU Brath, vote YES.

#5 scottincarlisle

scottincarlisle
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hoping for cBeebies alternative commentary on the red button like in last Euro's.  :D

SCOTTISH CUFF LINKS AVAILABLE AT THE LITTLE SILVER FINGERS WEBSITE OR AT

https://www.etsy.com...leSilverFingers  :ok:

#6 ErsatzThistle

ErsatzThistle
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Cannae stand Tyldesley and his "England, England, England ! If it's not English it's shit !" style of commentary.

The BBC must know that Mark Lawrenson is one of the most unpopular pundits on the TV, has been for years. Why the hell do they keep employing this negative, pompous priick who's outlook on football is best summed up by a comment he made in the Brazil vs Croatia game -"we don't want to see the goal, we want to see the foul"

Thank badger theres no sign of the miserable Davie Provan and his unique skill of describing the complete opposite of what is taking place during the match.

“I may as well confess that at the back of everything I write is the dream of an independent Scotland, completely cut off from it’s present association.”

Compton Mackenzie - March 7th 1939

#7 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Agree with all thats been said, Absolutely shit from both sides with complete idiots who don't have a clue.

Tyldesley the other day sayin costa Rica haven't read the script, they are supposed to be the whipping boys in this group.

Chiles today saying group of death? This is group of easy with france and Switzerland going through without a problem.

If there isn't half the team playing in England none of them seem to know anything about them and just dismiss them out of hand.

#8 Mark frae Crieff

Mark frae Crieff
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Linekar to Thiery Henry before anything about France.. What did you think of Englands performance... I hope he said you got yer erses on a plate.. didn't see answer turned tv over before i launched the remote at it.. I like ma TV to much. 

i believe only Smarties have the answer..............

#9 allyc

allyc
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Prefer BBC coverage to ITV.can't stand chiles...who the he'll thought it was a good idea to have Robbie 'world cup winner' savage on as a pundit?

#10 harrystarfish

harrystarfish
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Savage must have some good photos of BBC execs in compromising positions, it's the only explanation to his continued appearances on the TV, five live and BBC website columns.

Good work Henry putting him in his place.

The man who pretends to be a modest enquirer into the truth of a self-evident thing is a Knave.

#11 neil r

neil r
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Phil Neville.

So bad. He's outstanding. Does anyone. Know. When he's. Doing his. Next game?
"The EBC"... "Unionist Conspiracy"... "Eck"... "Establishment Stitch Up"... "Blatant Pro Union Bias"... "Nicola"... "Unionists"... "SNP"... "The Hootsman"... "Unionist Lies and Propaganda"... "Butchers Apron"... Blah...de Blah...de Blah...

#12 Return of Yermaw

Return of Yermaw
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

The best football insight and debate is generally offered by journalists with the occasional ex-player such as Nevin, O'Neil and Strachan contributing the same level of analysis. Journalists also tend to offer some sharp subtle humour as well and not the forced blokey or jingoistic "jokes" we have seen so far. The Guardian podcasts are a fine example of they type of stuff the BBC and ITV should be offering.

Instead we get the same ex-players trotted out as "personalities", with nicknames shoe-horned onto them to keep it all suitably blokeish. The foreign players tend to be more tactically astute and of course less jingoistic but they have to toe the line and resort to bland cliches after a while to keep in line with the overall tone and production.

However in saying that, you only need to look at Saturday night TV and the relatively large ratings that talent and reality TV shows get and conclude that the networks are delivering the format and insight that your average viewer wants. Job done as far as they are concerned. The rest of us should seek our analysis elsewhere.......

#13 MacWalka

MacWalka
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

I'm annoyed that the BBC haven't made more use of Tim Vickery. He's generally a very good journalist and was involved in a lot of the interesting build-up programmes on TV and radio prior to the tournament but I haven't seen him since.

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

#14 wanderer

wanderer
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Much prefer ITV to BBC.

Regarding Strachan, remember at Euro 2012 he looked so drained and uninterested.... yet he has that buzz about him this time (loved his Sean Connery story on the first day  :-)) ).

Though Ian Wright can be a complete twat, entertainment wise I think he is good to watch and have no real problem with him there.

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#15 johnnie x

johnnie x
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

I wonder how much the BBC has paid in junkets to millionaire ex pros?

Regan, Ogilve, Doncaster, Longmuir and Ballantyne, a quintent quartet trio of tossers - who are somehow still in a job