You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

New York Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#16 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Apartment rentals for less than 31 days are illegal in New York. Read a lot about this when planning my NYC trip earlier this year. Loads of stories about people paying up front and getting there to find addresses didn't exist etc..

That's good to know, Tam - thanks :ok:
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

Support the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal
www.tasunshineappeal.com

#17 Rossy

Rossy
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

Two pieces of advice that we got before we went to NYC, and both were right on the button...

- go to The Top of The Rock instead of the Empire State Building. Bigger viewing area, less people and the Empire State is right in front of you.

- use the bus. Subway stations are hot and busy, buses have air-co and are hardly used by tourists. Plus you can see everything as you pass by.

And go across to Brooklyn Heights and the Dumbo area underneath the bridges at night for that postcard view of Manhattan.

Makes me want to go back.... ;)
Please don't argue back about this as I am 100% correct.

#18 derekfaejapan

derekfaejapan
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

- use the bus. Subway stations are hot and busy, buses have air-co and are hardly used by tourists. Plus you can see everything as you pass by.

Using the Subway is essential when visiting New York I'd say...If you can work out the system then it's definitely the quickest way to get about.

#19 HG1

HG1
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Loads of good recommendations already. I've been a few times and on my last visit last month found the NYC pass worthwhile if you're planning to do the big attractions. Gets you access to 6 of the main attractions (liberty island, empire state, top of rock, few museums etc), it avoids lots of queues and saves a few bucks. Costs around $75.

Also found the guide book "Not for tourists" really useful (never heard of it before this visit). A bit different to lonely planet/rough guide etc, nice wee pocket size, splits NY into about 25 districts, and just makes it really easy to find bars, restuarants, shops, attractions etc in each district with a brief description of each. I used it loads of times, saved me a lot of aimless wandering.

Just to reiterate some other folks comments - east village great place at night, loads of good bars/restuarants. Top of rock better than Empire state (if doing both do one at night), Mcsorleys and old town (had a great night there last time) 2 great old pubs. Another good bar is 125th 5th Ave cocktail bar (think I've remembered address correctly), it's a trendy roof top bar, 25 floors up, stunning views especially at dusk when all the lights come on. Not cheap but definitely worth the 30 bucks for a couple of cocktails and the views in my opinion.

I found the china town/soho/little italy area a bit quiet at night. But China town day time is definitely worth a wander just to watch life go by. And you're within walking distance of the really old down town area, city hall buildings etc, and the brooklyn bridge which is worth a walk across (well half way at least).

As someone already said, it's as cool as f*** - enjoy your trip

#20 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

I've booked my flights!!!! LHR to Newark with Continental/United - bit more than KLM/Delta flights, but we've got BMI cards so will get Star Alliance lounge access in Edinburgh, London and Newark.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far - now that we're definitely going, I can start looking back over them and making plans :ok: :spin:

Edited by Tartan Sheep, 06 June 2011 - 09:55 PM.

Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#21 Wolfgang Overthebar

Wolfgang Overthebar
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

have spent a lot of time in new york both for work and pleasure and agree with a lot mentioned - but as additions

- i would say the revolving restaurant at the Marriot Marquis Hotel is worth going to, its just off times square, a bit pricey but great views of manhattan and beyond.

- the Circle Line boat trip is a decent way of seeing the city, the islands and the bridges.

- best comedy club is the comedy cellar in greenwich village. great venue, great comics and you might see some un-announced big names who are trying out material for the Letterman show.

- central park - if in the mood for walking - start at the pool at roughly west 100th and walk down passing the tennis courts, around the reservoir to the guggenheim on the east side. then walk down to the metropolitan museum of art before heading back into the park towards the Bandshell where you might see a decent free concert. then walk down the mall passing statues of Burns and scott amongst others heading for the pond and the ice rink.

but definitley do brooklyn bridge, rockefeller centre

hope this helps - its the greatest city in the world

#22 new hugh

new hugh
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Just to reiterate some other folks comments - east village great place at night, loads of good bars/restuarants. Top of rock better than Empire state (if doing both do one at night), Mcsorleys and old town (had a great night there last time) 2 great old pubs. Another good bar is 125th 5th Ave cocktail bar (think I've remembered address correctly), it's a trendy roof top bar, 25 floors up, stunning views especially at dusk when all the lights come on. Not cheap but definitely worth the 30 bucks for a couple of cocktails and the views in my opinion.

Close - 230 Fifth Avenue. And I agree - the cocktails are superb and the views are incredible. Good recommendation. That's also quite nearby ShakeShack, a brilliant burger and milkshake place in the middle of Madison Square Park in the shadow of the Flatiron building. Queues are long, but it's worth it. It's great in the summertime.

a few more recommendations....

Canal Street in Chinatown is good for wandering round the markets to see if you can pick up a fake Rolex. It's a bit like Camden - just mental busy with loads of people trying to sell you bags, watches, shoes, etc.

Would also recommend Brother Jimmy's, nice ribs joint around 17th Street near Union Square.

For breakfast, 71 Irving Place at - wait for it - 71 Irving Place near Union Square does superb coffee, bagels and croissants. I also like the Cafe Metro chain - bacon and egg bagels are brilliant.

Wolfgang recommended the Circle line boat trip. Never done this myself - how is it? I heard it lasts for hours on end, and gets a bit boring after a while. Good recommendations on heading to Central Park / Metropolitan museum though. That's a great part of town.

Also, if you're heading to Macy's remember to take your passport as all tourists get an 11% discount - just head up to customer services and show them your passport!

The Museum of Sex on Fifth Avenue around 30th Street is also a pretty amusing way to spend a spare hour or two. also get something in the gift shop (We went for 'The bunny rabbit Colouring Book').

Would also recommend Bryant Park at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue - great place to just chill out on a summer's day and people watch. And it's behind the New York Public Library - be sure to get a picture with the big lion statues in front of the library (you'll recognise them from the opening shot of Ghostbusters....)

Edited by new hugh, 07 June 2011 - 07:57 AM.

"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is."

#23 new hugh

new hugh
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

Heading to NY at the end of next week - this thread's got me in the mood! :ok:
"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is."

#24 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

First thing to buy in New York is an unlimited ride subway ticket - about $30 for 7 days.

How are you getting from the airport to hotel? If you are thinking about a taxi you might want to look at some of the "limo" services by the likes of Dial 7.

Top Of The Rock does a ticket allowing 2 visits (one for daytime and one for dusk/evening) if your looking to get "different" photos of New York.

Spelling is a lossed art.

#25 kebab shop trawler

kebab shop trawler
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

If you're down Wall Street area, then a hidden gem of a street is Stone Street. Not too far from South Street Seaport (which incidentally I thought was pretty poor).

http://www.scenebyla...one-street-nyc/

Loads of great bars and restaurants with huge outside seating areas but because all the buildings are so tall around its always in the shade, nice and cool on a summers evening.

these shoes were new when i bought them

#26 Wolfgang Overthebar

Wolfgang Overthebar
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

New Hugh mentioned the Circle Line has a reputation for being a bit boring. he is right and i should have been more specific. they advertise two trips - one is an entire loop of the island and that can be a bit boring. however there is another one which starts at their 42nd street dock and basically heads south down the hudson around ellis island, liberty island anad then up the east river to about the united nations building -and then heads back to its start point. lasts about an hour and an a bit but is very entertaining.

definelty agree with the small park by the the library - great place for a sandwich and watch people go by and look in awe at the Chrysler Building.

#27 IJM

IJM
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Wolfgang recommended the Circle line boat trip. Never done this myself - how is it? I heard it lasts for hours on end, and gets a bit boring after a while. Good recommendations on heading to Central Park / Metropolitan museum though. That's a great part of town.

I did the Circle Line a couple of years back - it was about 2.5 -3 hours - found it quite enjoyable as you see some parts that are not seen so much by tourists.

For example, the area around the far NW corner of Manhattan Island is quite green & leafy - not what you normally expect of Manhattan (apart from Central Park).

Worth considering if you have the time available.

#28 qos_75

qos_75
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Out of interest, where did you book that? I just looked at their website and the quote is considerably higher than "just over 100 a night"....

We booked with Booking.com and it worked out at 114 per night, for four nights from Tuesday 14 August. That said, we booked it at the start of December 2010, so that may account for it being more expensive now.

#29 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

We booked with Booking.com and it worked out at 114 per night, for four nights from Tuesday 14 August. That said, we booked it at the start of December 2010, so that may account for it being more expensive now.

Ahhhh - aye, that would explain it!
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#30 doonhameronthedon

doonhameronthedon
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

No one has mentioned the helicopter tours. do it. Anyway you should get cheap digs up near Columbia Uni if you get there before the students get back depending on what you fancy. Or stay with the bridge and tunnel crowd in Brooklyn plenty good places there too not just to stay but for live music.
Beware the Phog