You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

New York Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#31 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

No one has mentioned the helicopter tours. do it. Anyway you should get cheap digs up near Columbia Uni if you get there before the students get back depending on what you fancy. Or stay with the bridge and tunnel crowd in Brooklyn plenty good places there too not just to stay but for live music.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really hate helicopters - did an Edinburgh tour in one a few years ago and wanted to get off almost as soon as we'd taken off. I love flying, but I hated that for some reason. Proper planes or hot air balloons, but not helicopters!
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

Support the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal
www.tasunshineappeal.com

#32 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thought about seeing any more of the US?

Over there next month and taking the train to Washington DC and having a day and half there before getting train back.

Spelling is a lossed art.

#33 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thought about seeing any more of the US?

Over there next month and taking the train to Washington DC and having a day and half there before getting train back.

Not this time. I think we've got more than enough that we want to do in NYC without heading anywhere else, to be honest.
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#34 Dalgety Bay TA

Dalgety Bay TA
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Avoid most of the places around Times Square (Olive Garden, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., all the naff 'O'Connolly's'-type Irish bars etc.) It's not that they are particularly bad, just a bit of a rip-off for what you're getting. You'll end up queuing for a table for ages anyway, and will be surrounded by lots of old people from the midwest saying 'Gee!' a lot.

Having said that, the Heartland Brewery chain, dotted round the city, including one on the ground floor of the Empire State Building, does nice burgers and amazing deserts. Equally, St. Andrews Bar & Restaurant, a Scottish themed place on 46th Street near Times Square, is quite funny with old posters of the Forth Bridge, lion rampant napkins and reviews from the Daily Record pinned up on the wall. Surprisingly they do actually have one or two Scots working there, and to be fair, their turkey club sandwich is actually excellent. The ESPN Zone is good if you're looking for sports and they do nice milkshakes.

An old school mate of mine worked in St Andrews Bar. He was also chairman of the New York Rangers Supporters Club. We went to NY in 2000 and it was only a couple of weeks after MON's first OF derby, where Celtic won 6-2. He was stunned when we walked in the bar as I hadn't said I was coming but I told him that when Celtic pumped Rangers 6-2 I made an effort to see EVERY Rangers supporter I knew!

Re places to eat, I would recommend actually recommend Virgils just off Times Sq. We were there last September and it was excellent. Its a BBQ joint and bar, food was amazing. Booking a table is advised though as otherwise q's can be very long. Reviews of it are really good.

Two pieces of advice that we got before we went to NYC, and both were right on the button...

- go to The Top of The Rock instead of the Empire State Building. Bigger viewing area, less people and the Empire State is right in front of you.

- use the bus. Subway stations are hot and busy, buses have air-co and are hardly used by tourists. Plus you can see everything as you pass by.

And go across to Brooklyn Heights and the Dumbo area underneath the bridges at night for that postcard view of Manhattan.

Makes me want to go back.... ;)

Would agree on TOTR. We did ESB on first visit about 11 years ago so did TOTR this time. Sunday afternoon before we were due to fly home, virtually no q's, decent presentation on Rockerfeller and some great great views, the ones of Central Park especially. Think one guide book I read said that there is just one building, which blocks a view of the Chrysler Building (?) and if it wasn't for that it would be the totally perfect view of NY from up high,

I've booked my flights!!!! LHR to Newark with Continental/United - bit more than KLM/Delta flights, but we've got BMI cards so will get Star Alliance lounge access in Edinburgh, London and Newark.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far - now that we're definitely going, I can start looking back over them and making plans :ok: :spin:

Appreciate you have booked now but was there much difference between going via London and doing it direct from Edinburgh with Continental? We did it that way last time, took off at 9.25 from Edin, was in my hotel in mid town Manhatten 2pm NY time.

Other tip depending on where you are staying - airport express bus outside Newark was quick, easy an inexpensive way to get into midtown Manhatten. If your staying away from midtown might be worth the airport train to Penn. However if your coming back by bus and its say a Sunday/weekend, have a check to make sure there is nothing on locally. We were coming back a Sunday and it was a Mexican day, cue loads of street closures, large q's for airport bus and quite a lot of traffic jams. We were on the point of getting taxi to Penn and then train out as our expected bus was 45 mins late. All worked out ok though but the q's trying to get into Manhatten at that point stretched all the way out to the tollbooths in NJ!

#35 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Appreciate you have booked now but was there much difference between going via London and doing it direct from Edinburgh with Continental? We did it that way last time, took off at 9.25 from Edin, was in my hotel in mid town Manhatten 2pm NY time.

Other tip depending on where you are staying - airport express bus outside Newark was quick, easy an inexpensive way to get into midtown Manhatten. If your staying away from midtown might be worth the airport train to Penn. However if your coming back by bus and its say a Sunday/weekend, have a check to make sure there is nothing on locally. We were coming back a Sunday and it was a Mexican day, cue loads of street closures, large q's for airport bus and quite a lot of traffic jams. We were on the point of getting taxi to Penn and then train out as our expected bus was 45 mins late. All worked out ok though but the q's trying to get into Manhatten at that point stretched all the way out to the tollbooths in NJ!

There was a huge difference, to be honest. Flights for both of us from LHR came to about 950 - while flights from EDI/GLA were coming in at about 800 per person for the dates we wanted to go! Our EDI to LHR flights were booked on BMI miles so only added about 100 overall (for taxes) so the inconvenience of having to go via LHR was more than balanced out by the saving (especially as we'll have lounge access)

We haven't booked a hotel yet (that's in the plan for this weekend) but will almost certainly be staying in midtown Manhattan so looks like the bus will be a good option for us. We are flying back on a Sunday night, though, so will make sure to check there's nothing on before deciding to get the bus back to Newark. Thanks for the tip :ok:
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#36 joecraigfanclub

joecraigfanclub
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Out of idle curiousity, has anyone gone to New York on an organised hotel and flight package from the likes of Expedia or Travelocity. Might be going with the burd later in the year and am looking to price it up.
He perfectly encapsulates that mixture of dourness and hope which characterises the committed Scotland fan.

#37 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hotel booked. Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street - #27 NYC hotel on TripAdvisor - booked on HHonors points so only costing us taxes of approx $300 for 8 nights :ok: :ok:

So...should we get the bus or the train from Newark then?
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#38 Jie Bie

Jie Bie
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Out of idle curiousity, has anyone gone to New York on an organised hotel and flight package from the likes of Expedia or Travelocity. Might be going with the burd later in the year and am looking to price it up.

Me and the girlfirend booked up through lastminute.com for our new years trip last year. We got direct flights from GLA and six nights in Club Quarters Rockefeller Centre for 1800.

Think it broke down at 450 each for return airfares and 150 per night for our hotel room (all taxes were included). Pretty decent for midtown Manhattan, and CQ at the Rockefeller Centre was a good hotel too.
"The UK state can be said to have served somebody well over the last thirty years; it just hasn’t been the vast majority of its own citizens."

#39 Jie Bie

Jie Bie
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hotel booked. Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street - #27 NYC hotel on TripAdvisor - booked on HHonors points so only costing us taxes of approx $300 for 8 nights :ok: :ok:

We got the train and it seemed like the best bet. Think its about half an hour from the airport to Penn Station.

When we arrived into Manhattan we tried to get a taxi to our Hotel but the whole place was a bit of a mess due to all the snow everywhere. Ended up just getting the subway, and although it was a bit of a pain with our suitcases we got there ok.

Edit: Although based on where your hotel is I would recommend you just walk it from the station, provided your suitcases aren't too heavy or have those wee wheels.

Edited by Jie Bie, 12 June 2011 - 02:22 PM.

"The UK state can be said to have served somebody well over the last thirty years; it just hasn’t been the vast majority of its own citizens."

#40 Dalgety Bay TA

Dalgety Bay TA
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

There was a huge difference, to be honest. Flights for both of us from LHR came to about 950 - while flights from EDI/GLA were coming in at about 800 per person for the dates we wanted to go! Our EDI to LHR flights were booked on BMI miles so only added about 100 overall (for taxes) so the inconvenience of having to go via LHR was more than balanced out by the saving (especially as we'll have lounge access)

Aye, defo a no brainer then! Me and wife got flights for about 400 each direct from Edin but I did book Jan 2010 for a Sept 2010 flight.

Would say train looks best bet, Penn Station is on W34th so you will be out station and practically at hotel.

#41 TA Ealing

TA Ealing
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

I would recommend this place: http://www.rubbbq.net/ Amazing BBQ place. God I want to go back
Hebridies Bar Tartan Army!

#42 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Never been but really want to go.

Mods, delete this thread before I do something stupid with the credit card..........
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#43 new hugh

new hugh
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

I would recommend this place: http://www.rubbbq.net/ Amazing BBQ place. God I want to go back

Nice one - may check it out next weekend! :ok:
"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is."

#44 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Never been but really want to go.

Mods, delete this thread before I do something stupid with the credit card..........

It's only stupid if you book to go somewhere you don't want to go... ;)
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

www.tasunshineappeal.com

#45 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

It's only stupid if you book to go somewhere you don't want to go... ;)

You're not helping <_<
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk