You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

New York Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#91 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

How much should you tip when in New York?

Is it 10% of the bill or higher?  :blink:

It’s little wonder to me that the No campaign wants to sandbag the debate at every turn, because if they become embroiled in an open discussion with the Yes campaign and the people of Scotland, their lies will unravel in an instant, just like they did for me and so many new Yes voters.

#92 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

How much should you tip when in New York?

Is it 10% of the bill or higher?  :blink:

HIgher. usually 15-20% in NY

I awoke in the night with a fever .....

#93 biffer

biffer
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

General tip - if you're going to the baseball, go to the Mets not the Yankees. The Mets. Citi field is a better stadium and the Mets fans are proper fans. Yankee stadium is a dead, soulless, corporate sellout and their fans are assholes.

I awoke in the night with a fever .....

#94 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

General tip - if you're going to the baseball, go to the Mets not the Yankees. The Mets. Citi field is a better stadium and the Mets fans are proper fans. Yankee stadium is a dead, soulless, corporate sellout and their fans are assholes.

I looked in to this, I was hoping they'd be at home the same day we are at the US open since they are close together. The Mets are away from home during our time there. The Yankees are at home to the Red Sox though, I've been told thats a big rivalry.

It’s little wonder to me that the No campaign wants to sandbag the debate at every turn, because if they become embroiled in an open discussion with the Yes campaign and the people of Scotland, their lies will unravel in an instant, just like they did for me and so many new Yes voters.

#95 Coggs

Coggs
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Anyone know how to get Knicks basketball tickets? 

#96 Angus_Young

Angus_Young
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Stubhub mate but they aren't cheap.  Think you will pay around $70 - $100 for pretty average seats.    As mentioned above about the Baseball it's the same for the Basketball.  Brooklyn have a team and I think you could get in for as little as $20 on some nights.

#97 Angus_Young

Angus_Young
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm heading across next month, I'll be going to see Twilight Sad and Errors on the Monday night.
Is it easy enough to get from the Musichall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn back to my hotel in Manhattan after a gig? Any advice greatly received

Subway mate

Get the 'L' to Bedford Avenue

http://www.musichall...com/directions/

get the subway sussed and New York is a very easy city to get about in.  We walked most of the time mind you.

#98 Angus_Young

Angus_Young
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

|Apologies some of this may already be covered.

Anyone taking kids check out the Liberty Science Centre.  Will take up most of a day and will keep the little uns occupied.  Probably ages 8-12 would be ideally suited for

http://lsc.org/

Evergreen for breakfast, Katz Deli for Lunch and Carmines for dinner  All of them were amazing although Katz Deli is a bit of a rip of due to the Man V Food plug.

Anyone going to a show, head to Times Square but instead of queuing at the Tkts Booths look out for the street vendors who work direct for the Theaters.  We went to Avenue Q and got our tickets for $55 each.  Tckts Booths were looking for closer to $70 and the venue itself over $100.  Basically you pay the guy, he gives you a receipt and you go up to the Theatre for the tickets.  Obviously the earlier you go the better seats you will get.

All the usual places have been mentioned but we really enjoyed Madame Tussauds.  I know everyone has probably been to one somewhere but the American History floor was really good.  History lesson for folk that can't be arsed reading a real book about it  :wave:   Also if you want to get up somewhere high for free go to the revolving restaurant at the Renaissance on Times Square.  We did this instead of going up the Empire State and spent the dosh on cocktails instead.

Only other tip I could give is try and pre-plan your days so you can fit in as much as possible.  Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street and Soho can all be done in the same day for example and is within walking distance of each other.

Truly amazing place.

#99 TartanTeddy

TartanTeddy
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

You can pick up tickets outside, and if you use the advantage of not really needing to be in for tipp off, you can probably get a good deal from the scalpers (touts) outside. I do this for baseball, miss the first innings and you can get $100 tickets for about $20-30. 

Madison Sq Gdns is worth the visit, but have heard the Nets new stadium is a great place to watch a game and it's in the heart of Brooklyn. So you can go to some nice trendy Williamsburg bar and restaurant and then head down for the game. 

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy, 15 September 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers. Bill Struth (1875 - 1956)

#100 fetish

fetish
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just back yesterday after spending 4 nights in NY.

Tips

Newark to 42nd Street on the Newark Express Bus. 3 pickups at the airport at each terminal and 3 stops on 42nd Street at Port Authority (west), Bryant Park (middle), and Grand Central (east).
Book online before you go at $28 return
Ideal for any hotel between 34th and 50th St which is only half a mile up or down.
Only took about 30 mins in afternoon traffic.

Subway travel is great but instead of 6 of us buying $30 7 day passes we bought 2 metro cards for $1 each and put about €80 in total on the cards over the 5 days. You can swipe 4 people through at a time on the one card.

If you are fit and healthy then walk as you see so much more. Manhattan is only 2.3 miles wide so if going crosstown I'd walk every time. Up and downtown get the subway for more than 20 blocks ( a mile and quarter)

Food
Loved Emma's Stardust Diner - staff (who want to be in show biz) sing while you eat and drink.
Comfort Diner- 50s style diner on West 45th St for breakfast
Cranberry Deli - West 44th Street for a take out lunch

If doing the Brooklyn Bridge walk and want pizza then Grimaldi's is supposed to be the place to go........it was queued out the door but someone had suggested Juliana's next door was nicer, it had no queue and the pizza was fantastic.

Sights
Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty free
Intrepid Museum to see a space shuttle, Concorde, submarine, Blackbird jet.
Empire State Building - go during the day and see the city but go early and there are hardly any queues. A walk past later that same day and the queue was out the door. $5 for the audio tour is worth it
Top of the Rock - go at night after esb as you will already know the buildings and layout of the city but it is lit up.
Take the running trainers and go out early for a run round Central Park.

Passes, we used the select pass where you pick the tours and sights you want and get a discount on multi purchase.

If going to TotR at night find out when sunset is and book the tickets before you go on TotR site (no discount) for the 15min segment before the sun is due to set (sunset times on weather.com)

9/11 memorial. Can book and print these online. Free tour but $2 per person online to save a bigger queue and you know your times lot before travelling. If you buy on the day they suggest a $10 donation per person.

When you walk past a restaurant bar shop or whatever that looks good but you have no need for it at that time but fancy going back take a note of the street and the two avenues as you will forget and never find it again.

#101 fetish

fetish
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Oh aye and for all foreign trips get a Clarity credit card from Halifax. No fee withdrawals from ATMs and just the interest for cash withdrawals. No foreign currency fees for purchases and a great exchange rate.

#102 Coggs

Coggs
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

You can pick up tickets outside, and if you use the advantage of not really needing to be in for tipp off, you can probably get a good deal from the scalpers (touts) outside. I do this for baseball, miss the first innings and you can get $100 tickets for about $20-30. 

Madison Sq Gdns is worth the visit, but have heard the Nets new stadium is a great place to watch a game and it's in the heart of Brooklyn. So you can go to some nice trendy Williamsburg bar and restaurant and then head down for the game. 

TT

Cheers poppet. Will look into that.  Got an apartment sorted in Williamsburg.  Now just to decide what to do for hogmanay. 

#103 jimstroma

jimstroma
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Staying in New York for 3 nights, June next year, on way to Florida. Some great tips on this thread :ok:

#104 Graham of Montrose

Graham of Montrose
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

In the early stages of planning a trip for our silver anniversary next September.

Some very good info and tips on here.

The blood is strong.