You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

Berlin Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#1 johnnie x

johnnie x
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Had a look at the other Berlin thread but that was mainly stag dooooo information.

Was there in 2000 between a couple of games at the euros but can't remember much apart from the Reichstag.

So any handy hints or places to go, things to see?

Heading off at the end of aug so Just missing the beer festival :worried:

Cheers

Regan, Ogilve, Doncaster, Longmuir and Ballantyne, a quintent quartet trio of tossers - who are somehow still in a job

#2 Newryrep

Newryrep
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

me and the mrs done the flat tyre bike tour , covers most of the main spots

#3 The Boss

The Boss
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

The Olympic Stadium is quality.

Wouldn't bother getting a tour bus or that, everything is easy enough to find yourself and the public transport is free (well your meant to pay but when we were there nobody did, and it was just a case of walking on and off the tube, no barriers for tickets...this may have changed now, twas 3 years ago after all)

#4 John D

John D
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

If it's hot and you fancy a dip try Wahnsee in the south west or Tegelsee in the northwest, both have beaches.

There's a wee island, pfauen insel, in wahnsee that has a castle on it, a pully ferry takes you across.

Of Private Schools and Paedophiles. We know these people run these Isles .

Scary as fuk isn't it

#5 Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Works for me. :ok:

#6 Junebug

Junebug
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

I did the free walking tour when I was there and I really enjoyed that, definately better than any bus tour I've been on.

Incidentally I'm heading there in October and looking for hotel ideas or which area is best to stay in.

#7 deecie

deecie
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

I was there in June, and i've still never bought a train ticket :ph34r:

I've done the bus tour before, and as somebody else said, its not really worth it. Everything is really close together and very walkable.

They've changed the queuing system for the Reichtag and I couldn't figure it out anymore, so not sure how you get in there.

Berlin has some great museums, The DDR museum is pretty cool, everything is in Engllish and you can pick up all the exibits and sit in Old Cars and go into a prison cell and other stuff, the Topography of Terror is also a must-see, but it's very graphic, and somewhat disturbing.

If you want to see the wall, just go to Ostbahnhof, and you can see the Eastside gallery. In June they had some bars set up behind it too where you could sit and chill out.

The tiergarten is nice, but huge, you could easily get lost in it.

The Olympic Stadion is good, if you go get the audiotour though, without it you're just wondering about looking at statues. Union Berlin's ground is really good too, its hidden away in a forest.

Don't stay in the Nollerdorfplatz area. Just take my word for that one.

East Berlin is infinitely better than West Berlin.

I'll add some more later.

2nd Gen Megadrive

26" Colour HITACHI

#8 wanday

wanday
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

the walking tours all started at zoo station when I was there. The third reich walking tour was excellent, ended up at Hitler's bunker which isn't easy to find. Fantastic place if you're interested in history. The museum had a history of Germany, they've got Napoleon's hat and coat. Was in there for hours.

#9 scotlad

scotlad
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'm glad this thread was started! I'm planning a wee trip over to Berlin myself in September and was planning on taking in a Union Berlin game (they are at home on the Sunday I am there). Does anyone know if their ground is easy to get to from the centre of Berlin? The hotel I am staying in is in Mitte.
It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious

#10 deecie

deecie
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

I'm glad this thread was started! I'm planning a wee trip over to Berlin myself in September and was planning on taking in a Union Berlin game (they are at home on the Sunday I am there). Does anyone know if their ground is easy to get to from the centre of Berlin? The hotel I am staying in is in Mitte.

Yeah. U1 goes there. It's just a 5 minute walk from the station, it's signposted the whole way though.

2nd Gen Megadrive

26" Colour HITACHI

#11 scotlad

scotlad
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

Yeah. U1 goes there. It's just a 5 minute walk from the station, it's signposted the whole way though.

Superb. :ok:

Is the public transport really free, or are they just a bit lazy when it comes to checking tickets - like the Newcastle Metro system?

#12 deecie

deecie
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Is the public transport really free, or are they just a bit lazy when it comes to checking tickets - like the Newcastle Metro system?

It's very much like Newcastle, I don't think tickets are that expensive if you do buy them though. You may have trouble gettin Union tickets though.

2nd Gen Megadrive

26" Colour HITACHI

#13 Junebug

Junebug
  • 790 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

My friends lived there for a year, never paid for a ticket and I think he's been caught twice. So take from that what you wish!

#14 scotlad

scotlad
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

It's very much like Newcastle, I don't think tickets are that expensive if you do buy them though. You may have trouble gettin Union tickets though.

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem at all paying for tickets, especially if it is a good public transport system.

That's a shame about Union Berlin tickets though, I was just planning on turning up at the ground and buying one. I had heard that adult tickets start at 10 Euros, so it shouldn't surprise me that they are hard to come by!

#15 deecie

deecie
  • 10,247 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Don't get me wrong - I have no problem at all paying for tickets, especially if it is a good public transport system.

That's a shame about Union Berlin tickets though, I was just planning on turning up at the ground and buying one. I had heard that adult tickets start at 10 Euros, so it shouldn't surprise me that they are hard to come by!

The Berlin train network is second to none. It's just, I (like everybody else) enjoys a freebe every now and then...

Contact your hotel before you go and they should be able to sort you out with Union tickets.

2nd Gen Megadrive

26" Colour HITACHI