You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

Celtic Cup - Your View

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Celtic Cup - Your View (227 member(s) have cast votes)

Now that details have been announced, do you think the Celtic Cup is a good idea?

1. Yes (110 votes [48.46%])

Percentage of vote: 48.46%

2. No (117 votes [51.54%])

Percentage of vote: 51.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 bruce778

bruce778
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

No, they all play a similar style of football to ourselves and so we don't learn anything new from playing them really! They are also 3 very unglamorous opponents from a fans' point of view and so will hardly attract big crowds to Hampden as we saw from the NI game.
The only advantage I can see is that we are better than the three other teams and it would help us in the world rankings and thus our seedings for qualification and potentially tournaments. (He says having just drawn 0-0 with NI :wink2: ). There's hundreds of countries in the world, I don't see that we should be narrowing ourselves down to these three countries, no disrespect to them, but it seems a bit short sighted.

#17 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

That's a definite no from me, got nothing against playing any of the teams once in a while but we need to be playing top quality teams and also teams that we will find similar in style to teams in our qualifying group.

Just hope that the SFA look at the opinion of the fans and dump this in the bin where it belongs.

#18 WeeBarrysGotAnMBE

WeeBarrysGotAnMBE
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Am I the only one looking forward to this? Some decent affordable away trips and a bit of excitement. :wink2:

#19 todd

todd
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

You realise that the engurland fans will refer to it as the four asses cup, on account of the competitions ridiculous name coupled with the fact that they aren't taking part! So thats another reason to vote no. :wink2: :spin:

#20 newtownards

newtownards
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

3 very unglamorous opponents from a fans' point of view and so will hardly attract big crowds to Hampden as we saw from the NI game.

do you think Scotland are a glamorous side?
Northern Ireland reigning British champions!

#21 newtownards

newtownards
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

You realise that the engurland fans will refer to it as the four asses cup, on account of the competitions ridiculous name coupled with the fact that they aren't taking part! So thats another reason to vote no. :wink2: :spin:

Maybe its time for Scotland to stop giving a pmup what England fans think,

Also, surely you can see the advantage this competition has for sticking two fingers up to Team GB!
Northern Ireland reigning British champions!

#22 tartan diamond

tartan diamond
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

You realise that the engurland fans will refer to it as the four asses cup, on account of the competitions ridiculous name coupled with the fact that they aren't taking part! So thats another reason to vote no. :spin: :lol:

or they could break it down to F.A. cup :wink2: i'm not for it, will go and support the team but think it's a really bad idea for off the field purposes

#23 Flure

Flure
  • 24,362 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

or they could break it down to F.A. cup :blink:

Do keep up. :ok:

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#24 buckfast warrior

buckfast warrior
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

its a pish up in dublin :blink: with the welsh :ok: irish :ok: and Northern Irish :beer2:

I am all for it, why not?
The Warrior is back

#25 gordiewell

gordiewell
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

People who are interested, have voted, and are coming back to see how the result is panning out. Well partly that and partly journo hacks working on their next exclusive... :blink:

You ain’t wrong, particularly if the overwhelming result is a ‘no’

#26 gordiewell

gordiewell
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

Potential for a nasty atmosphere in the fixtures against ROI and NI... huge. can you imagine what the atmosphere would be like if McGeady plays against us?

Chances of us fielding our strongest team.. none

Chances of us fielding a B team because of call-offs... probable

What we will learn in international terms from playing these teams... very little

TV revenue to be gained from the fixtures... cruciall, for all the countries involved, good

A good pish-up for fans who don‘t care whether we ever qualify for any major tournament, income for the SFA, from Setanta probably, but ultimately a complete waste of time.

#27 buckfast warrior

buckfast warrior
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:31 AM

aye if McGeady was to play against us of course we'd be hostile,

it would be well Policed I think the Garda will have all avenues sussed,

it would be friendlies with passion sick of wasting my money for run outs
The Warrior is back

#28 bruce778

bruce778
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

do you think Scotland are a glamorous side?

No, what's that got to do with it?

I could see why we would be popular choices for friendlies for other countries particularly given the size of our support, our reasonably high standard of play and our style of play.

#29 scotsguy40

scotsguy40
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:45 AM

I think it's a good idea if it was a bi annual event inbetween the Euro's and world cups. Cheap flights, cheap digs and easy points for qualifiers.

Who cares aboot McGeady, he made his choice, let him wire in. Who care's wit NI's anthem is, we've got oor own.

It would be a good swally with Celtic Cousins!

#30 jumbocummings

jumbocummings
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

I'm all for it as a one off tourney or something that will be infrequent.

But it's a definite backward step if it becomes a regular event which I don't think it will be as boredom, other events, etc get in the way.
FTPAFTQ