Photo

An Exclusive Club

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

Every World Cup final since 1970 (we'll shortly have the 12th) has featured 2 of the same group of 7 teams (assuming Germany/West Germany are equivalent) with Spain being the only ones to make a single appearance...

#2 fringo

fringo
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

That was part of the point I was trying to make to GS in an England thread

http://taboard.com/f...timistic&page=6

"Since 1966 (oh dear I said it !  :lol: ) only 6 teams - Argentina, Brazil, Germany (incl West G.), France, Italy, & Spain have won the WC final and 7 even reached the final (with Holland)"

"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now."

#3 George Saint

George Saint
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

That's all very true, but if you look at it in a different way - in the previous four tournaments before this one, there were two new finalists (France and Spain, who both went on to win). Plus, if Netherlands go on to win this World Cup, that will be a seventh different winner. So, in that respect, there is hope for other teams wanting to break the hold of the established teams. Maybe it will be Scotland's turn to do that in 2018. :ok:

In Roy we trust

#4 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

That was part of the point I was trying to make to GS in an England thread

http://taboard.com/f...timistic&page=6

"Since 1966 (oh dear I said it !  :lol: ) only 6 teams - Argentina, Brazil, Germany (incl West G.), France, Italy, & Spain have won the WC final and 7 even reached the final (with Holland)"

Oops, didn't see that one.

Interestingly the 5 finals prior to 1970 featured teams who have never made it back: Uruguay, Hungary, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and England.