A Scot In Tbilisi

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Hi Paul

The area around the ground isn't well served with bars, only a few restaurants, but the lockdown you speak of is surprising. Bear in mind that that was three years before I came here so perhaps things were different. There will be nothing like that this time I suspect.

It will be a lot hotter this time, so I'd expect that carry outs and the various beer parks beside the philarmonic hall will be base camp. I walked past there today and was visualising hundreds of TA assembled round there. Cannae wait!

I was at the Georgia v Liechtenstein match last night. 2-0 Georgia but really can't see much threat from them. Giorgi Chanturia, now of CFR Cluj, made a scoring debut and he looks very promising. Ananidze is also showing signs of coming somewhere close to fulfilling potential. But those two aside, we SHOULD have more than enough to take 6 points.

#47 SY Cove

SY Cove
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I remember there was a sports bar near the stadium, think I remember someone saying it was owned by Shota Averladze.......... I could be wrong

We were in that before the game last time and I am sure we weren't allowed alcoholic drinks, that was a decent place though

Is it still there Bonehead??

#48 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Doesn't ring a bell. There IS a sports bar of sorts beside the other ground - Mikheil Meskhi Stadium aka Lokomotiv though.

#49 SY Cove

SY Cove
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Just found the SFA's guide to Tbilisi from the last trip, heres what they said about the place….

World Sport Café (5 V. Maiakovski

St, across from the Mushaedi Garden)

– Georgian football fans will address you

something like this: “Shot’landieli? Shota

Averladze! Rangers! Celtic! Glasgow…”

and good on Mr Averladze and his brothers

for providing this pub just 200 yards from the

entrance to the National Stadium. Although

closed at the time of our visit we are assured

it will be open on the day of the big match.

www.info-tbilisi.com/sportcafe/

#50 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

There is a bar right outside Dinamo now called "11 pints" - might be same place with a different name.

#51 datoch

datoch
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

There is a bar right outside Dinamo now called "11 pints" - might be same place with a different name.

That's not the same place

Sports cafe moved, it was located next to Dinamo Arena parking lots on Mushtaidi park side

Edited by datoch, 19 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#52 Big Bob

Big Bob
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Can anyone tell me the best area to stay at and is there any hotel that they would recommend .

#53 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

STAY in - Old Town, Mtatsminda, Sololaki, Marjanishvili, Rustaveli, Vere, Vake

Don't stay in - Saburtalo, Didube, Dighomi, Anywhere near the Train Station, Varketili, Ortachala

#54 Big Bob

Big Bob
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the information will look in those areas