You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

New York Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#61 TartanTeddy

TartanTeddy
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Just back from New York at the weekend.

In terms of Theatre. I got better deals at the box office than at the TKTS booth. Ask if they have 'rush tickets' which seems to be the terminology for last minute seats.

I saw a lot of shows, and not knowing your taste I would be scared to recommend any as it might not be your cup of tea. I prefer plays to musicals, but if you are going to see a musical, try to get Book of Mormon tickets before you go. It's by the South Park guys and has just swept the Tony's. It's crude, offensive and very very funny, but tickets are like gold. Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo was excellent, as was Jerusalem (though it closes soon) and the Normal Heart (about HIV, and very dark, but great theatre).

Please look up 'Sleep No More' it's a multi sensory theatre experience. You go into a converted hotel (it's a set made over five flours of three warehouses) where you wear a face mask, and wander around about a hundred different rooms, as you walk around, you will catch actors doing very odd scenes which are loosely based around Macbeth. You can follow them around and catch weird and wonderful scenes or just wander around the haunted house. It's spooky and very weird, but absolutely fascinating - the reviews are all 5 stars and I thought it was immense. If you do go, try to book in at seven, so that you get the full three hours of wandering around. You are both the audience and part of the action - I think around a hundred or so people are wandering aboput with masks on and there are maybe ten to fifteen actors - bits of weirdness, some nudity and strobe lighting - really amazing. Think it was about $80, but worth every cent.

In terms of baseball...

The Mets are pretty much getting about half full gates so StubHub will represent really good value, and it's easy to use. Either as a direct download, or at the Stubhub will call window. There are a lot of tickets going very cheap, and it means you can get far better seats for your buck. Citi Field is also much nicer that yankee Stadium, it has a bit of character as they tried in part to model it on the old Dodgers Stadium. Yankee Stadium, at least to me, is a bit soulless. In saying that, the Yankees are playing far better than the Mets, but that night not really be an issue if you are going to see a game for the experience.

If you go to Citi Field, I would highly recommend the pulled pork sandwiches from Blue Smoke - it's a top notch BBQ place downtown and they have an outlet at the field. There is also a nice beer stand at the top level behind home plate and they do a range of brew house style beers. I'd recommend Goose Island Honkers, or one of the Sam Adams seasonal beers.

You'll enjoy either stadium, but I do think the Mets is a bit more fun (and I have hated them for years, so it's hard for me to admit that!).

Have fun, it's a great city.

TT
Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers. Bill Struth (1875 - 1956)

#62 chaff

chaff
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

Please look up 'Sleep No More' it's a multi sensory theatre experience. You go into a converted hotel (it's a set made over five flours of three warehouses) where you wear a face mask, and wander around about a hundred different rooms, as you walk around, you will catch actors doing very odd scenes which are loosely based around Macbeth. You can follow them around and catch weird and wonderful scenes or just wander around the haunted house. It's spooky and very weird, but absolutely fascinating - the reviews are all 5 stars and I thought it was immense. If you do go, try to book in at seven, so that you get the full three hours of wandering around. You are both the audience and part of the action - I think around a hundred or so people are wandering aboput with masks on and there are maybe ten to fifteen actors - bits of weirdness, some nudity and strobe lighting - really amazing. Think it was about $80, but worth every cent.

That sounds brilliant

YES!

#63 TartanTeddy

TartanTeddy
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

That sounds brilliant

A better description from the NY Times

Sleep No More

TT

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers. Bill Struth (1875 - 1956)

#64 youngmirt

youngmirt
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Were you in the bleachers for that price?

I think I need to be closer to the action than that...so I'm keeping an eye on StubHub for good first base level tickets for a decent price!

No i was in the grandstand level 4 right in line with 3rd base, it was one of the games through the season that they put out $5 tickets so you probably won't get one that cheap.

#65 new hugh

new hugh
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Let us know what it is like and I'll check it out two weeks later :ok:

Not had a chance to visit it yet (been busy all week), and flying back to London tomorrow.
However, I'd thoroughly recommend Turkish Kitchen on Third Avenue between 27th and 28th - every bit as good as the legendary Meze Mangal in Lewisham!
Also on Third Ave, right across the street from Turkish Kitchen, there's La Annam - a superb Vietnamese place that the lady and I went to on Monday night. The portions are HUGE.

We hit Blue Smoke on Friday night which was every bit as outstanding as I remember. :ok:
"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is."

#66 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Not had a chance to visit it yet (been busy all week), and flying back to London tomorrow.
However, I'd thoroughly recommend Turkish Kitchen on Third Avenue between 27th and 28th - every bit as good as the legendary Meze Mangal in Lewisham!
Also on Third Ave, right across the street from Turkish Kitchen, there's La Annam - a superb Vietnamese place that the lady and I went to on Monday night. The portions are HUGE.

We hit Blue Smoke on Friday night which was every bit as outstanding as I remember. :ok:

None of those are too far from my hotel :ok:

Spelling is a lossed art.

#67 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Just read back over this thread to remind myself of all the great advice...as our trip is now under four days away :ok:

Two shows, Yankees v Athletics (front row of third tier between home and first), two meals, SOL and Ellis Island trip and Empire State tickets booked, lots of plans for other things to see and do, a list of restaurant options as long as my arm...and a fabulous (if slightly hot/humid) weather forecast.

Cannae wait :spin:
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

Support the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal
www.tasunshineappeal.com

#68 Jie Bie

Jie Bie
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Just read back over this thread to remind myself of all the great advice...as our trip is now under four days away :ok:

Two shows, Yankees v Athletics (front row of third tier between home and first), two meals, SOL and Ellis Island trip and Empire State tickets booked, lots of plans for other things to see and do, a list of restaurant options as long as my arm...and a fabulous (if slightly hot/humid) weather forecast.

Cannae wait :spin:

I know you are already doing Empire State, but I'd highly recommened doing Top of the Rock as well.

Great views of Central Park and the ESB, plus you are out on the roof itself, not indoors. Great photo taking opportunities.

We booked online in advance and there wasn't much of a wait. If you decide to go make sure you do the same as the queue for tickets looked shocking.

PS: Also if you get a chance make sure you walk the High Line Park.

Edited by Jie Bie, 03 November 2011 - 11:01 AM.

"The UK state can be said to have served somebody well over the last thirty years; it just hasn’t been the vast majority of its own citizens."

#69 Tartan Sheep

Tartan Sheep
  • 526 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I know you are already doing Empire State, but I'd highly recommened doing Top of the Rock as well.

Great views of Central Park and the ESB, plus you are out on the roof itself, not indoors. Great photo taking opportunities.

We booked online in advance and there wasn't much of a wait. If you decide to go make sure you do the same as the queue for tickets looked shocking.

PS: Also if you get a chance make sure you walk the High Line Park.

Just realised I never bothered to respond to this post - sorry!

We did Top of the Rock as well as ESB - went up in the evening so we got daytime views and the sunset. Perfect :ok:

Also walked the High Line down to Greenwich Village which was superb.

In fact, the whole trip was fabulous...even the extra day and "interesting" route home which we had to have thanks to Hurricane Irene!!
Hebrides Bar Tartan Army

Support the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal
www.tasunshineappeal.com

#70 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Off to visit in March. Can't wait.

#71 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sorry if this has been metioned before but can you use a UK debit card in the cash machines and do they have chip and pin all that works with the UK tech.

#72 johnnie x

johnnie x
  • 7,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Chip and pin wasnt introduced last time i was there (2009) it was give over the card and sign electronically on a machine. kind of like those machines the parcel delivery folk use and you cant read what you have written :lol:

Debit cards are fine, just make sure you tell your bank before you go.

Regan, Ogilve, Doncaster, Longmuir and Ballantyne, a quintent quartet trio of tossers - who are somehow still in a job

#73 Rossy

Rossy
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

I remember it being about half/half between pin/signature when I was there.

Remember and carry ID though, as you'll probably get asked for it if you have to sign.
Please don't argue back about this as I am 100% correct.

#74 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Just had a check of flight and hotel prices for the end of May, you know just in case Scotland end up playing there - HOLY F'CK, how expensive? :shocked:
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#75 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just had a check of flight and hotel prices for the end of May, you know just in case Scotland end up playing there - HOLY F'CK, how expensive? :shocked:

I tried all the options and there are no 'cheap' flights