You are viewing the Archive Board. To visit the new board CLICK HERE

Photo

New York Travel Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#76 nek

nek
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

to boston is always an option, $15 4 hour bus journey down if you managed to get better priced flights to there (aer lingus from dublin usually decent)
how do you know which cows on holiday? the one with the wee calf

#77 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Ok, we're off over at the end of march. Manhatten. Anybody got any info on what's happening at the moment. Only there for four days so looking for ideas. Apart from the usual.

#78 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

Specalist punk rock record shops, anyone?

#79 new hugh

new hugh
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Specalist punk rock record shops, anyone?

Generation Records on Thompson Street near West Houston, and Bleecker Street Records just round the corner in Greenwich Village over on 6th, are probably your best bets for punk vinyl. You could also try Academy Records - they've got a couple of branches in Manhattan and also Brooklyn. I stick to the East Village one as that's the hip-hop spot, but I think the 18th Street one might sell punk.

Edited by new hugh, 19 March 2012 - 05:12 PM.

"Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is."

#80 mcsheep

mcsheep
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Just back from NYC and had a great time.
I had a quick read over this thread before the off and took a few pointers.

We went to Blue Smoke for grub and it was great, a quality rib sampler on the menu that did the trick. Their own Ale was pretty decent as well.
We also tried a place called Spice (there are a few in Manhattan, we went to the one just off Union Sq) that was very good as well, did a lot of Thai food (cracking massaman curry) and the place was pretty full with a good atmosphere.

We also managed to pick up Ice Hockey tickets to see the Rangers, as you go in the main entrance, there is a queue on the right hand side on game day for any cancellation tickets that come back for sell outs, waited over an hour but managed to get two tickets together in decent seats at cost price.

We also did Top of the Rock to get a load of good snaps, including central park and ESB as mentioned in the thread.

We got the NYC pass, which allowed a bit of queue dodging and also had a load of money off vouchers, which saved us a few bob inclduing cash off on a helicopter tour which was great and I'd highly recommend. You can also book a particular time for the Status of Liberty/Ellis ISland for upcoming days, if your able to plan that far forward it would save a half hour plus in the regular queue and you can dash up the reserved queue at the time you booked.

We stayed in Hotel Indigo in Chelsea, on E28th between 6 & 7 Avenue, which was very central. Folk in hotel were great, booked a trip for us and made dinner reservations at places in town as well as managing to give us a late checkout.

We also walked the Highline (an old goods train track that has been converted in to a walkway). Some really nice views, loads of seats and at places it actually felt pretty quiet for being in a big city. Failing all that it is the quickest way to walk 10+ blocks as you don't get stopped at the lights every block or two.

#81 frew

frew
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm just back as well (only 4 days) and will be going back. I had a great time. I tend to just wonder about and see where I end up. On the way from the airport into NYC the taxi driver asked if we were staying for a month. To be honest if you stayed a month you still wouldn't have not seen half of it. What a place.

I think renting an apartment for a month would be the way to go. If you split it with friends it could be doable.

#82 fetish

fetish
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Just about to book up for September 2013 for my 40th. Gonna go direct from Edinburgh to Newark with United from Thursday to Monday for just over £500. I know this thread is a year old but cheers for the info. 6 of us (3 couples) going so we might send the ladies out for cocktails while we go to a wee sporting event.

#83 Fish Gills Mcginty

Fish Gills Mcginty
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm heading across next month, I'll be going to see Twilight Sad and Errors on the Monday night.
Is it easy enough to get from the Musichall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn back to my hotel in Manhattan after a gig? Any advice greatly received
Like 'en?

#84 Jags4ever

Jags4ever
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just back from 6 days in NYC. Good place , tons to do. Did all the main touristy things - Empire State , Liberty etc. Best was the Staten Island ferry , went across and back 3 times just watching the boats go by plus you get to see Liberty Island and a cracking view of Manhattan.

If you wanna catch any football visit Football Factory at Legends (33rd St under the Empire State) , excellent setup and made very welcome the 3 times I was in there for the 2 Scotland games and NFL Sunday. Decent selection of beers and pretty much central.

Brooklyn to Manhattan , use the Subway N line , thats the one I used anyway.

#85 Lion Rampant

Lion Rampant
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thinking about booking a trip there for over New Year as a wedding gift for my soon to be wife. It's quite expensive over that time but both our hands are tied in terms of holidays and always fancied the idea of New Year over there in any case.

I can shave a bit off the cost of the trip by staying down in hotels beside Battery Park and was wondering if anyone has stayed down in that area and if it was a decent place to base yourself?

We'll be going with our 2 year old so going out for a big New Year bash is off the cards but some of the hotels down that way will have views of the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty so that appeals

Saw a few trip advisor comments saying it can be quite quiet down that way at night and it can sometimes feel unsafe, which is a worry. I normally take most of the stuff on trip advisor with a pinch of salt tho.

#86 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm going to New York with the wife in September. We managed to get tickets for the US open mens tennis quarter finals so can't wait for that. 

All I know is our hotel is close to times square as the wife booked it all.

It’s little wonder to me that the No campaign wants to sandbag the debate at every turn, because if they become embroiled in an open discussion with the Yes campaign and the people of Scotland, their lies will unravel in an instant, just like they did for me and so many new Yes voters.

#87 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

I can shave a bit off the cost of the trip by staying down in hotels beside Battery Park and was wondering if anyone has stayed down in that area and if it was a decent place to base yourself?

I stayed down in Pearl Street near the Brooklyn Bridge first time I went (about 400m from Battery Park).

Much quieter in the evening than the more touristy parts of Manhattan (as it is more of a business area).  I didn't ever feel it wasn't safe (had a young teenager with me).

Easy enough to get around on the subway from there to other parts of Manhattan.

Spelling is a lossed art.

#88 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Has anyone here ever bought any of the City passes on offer?

Is it easier to just pay for each attraction as you go? The passes claim they offer great discounts and there is one that allows you to chose which attractions you go to as opposed to others that are restricted to 4 of 6 attractions.

It’s little wonder to me that the No campaign wants to sandbag the debate at every turn, because if they become embroiled in an open discussion with the Yes campaign and the people of Scotland, their lies will unravel in an instant, just like they did for me and so many new Yes voters.

#89 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Has anyone here ever bought any of the City passes on offer?

Is it easier to just pay for each attraction as you go? The passes claim they offer great discounts and there is one that allows you to chose which attractions you go to as opposed to others that are restricted to 4 of 6 attractions.

I bought one the first time I was there and found the financial saving was not too much.  What you do gain is time, as you will not need to queue up at each place to buy tickets.

If you are only planning one or two of the places just go early each day before the crowd builds up e.g. 8:00 for Empire State Building.

Spelling is a lossed art.

#90 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

I bought one the first time I was there and found the financial saving was not too much.  What you do gain is time, as you will not need to queue up at each place to buy tickets.

If you are only planning one or two of the places just go early each day before the crowd builds up e.g. 8:00 for Empire State Building.

Thanks

We ended up buying the select pass where we select the places we want to visit. The saving wasn't that much but the chance to jump the queue is enough to buy it.