Remember Bannockburn - Flag

Picture?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 19,335 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Embdy got a decent pic of, or even better one of, the "remember bannockburn" flags from the 70s? mind them at the 77 game but cannae find a decent pic or example to produce a replica... 

Cheers for any help in advance. 

Signatures are gay

#2 portbhoypaddy

portbhoypaddy
  • Banned
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

What has the battle of bannockburn got to do with a game of football?

If you compare the advantages in resources that Scotland enjoys over Norway - better location, easier access to market, world-class technology across a range of sectors, a whisky industry with world renowned premium brands, top universities, easier geography, a huge global diaspora willing us to do well and a great global brand - we should be considering Norway as our start point, not our end point. The fact that our aspirations are so low is a sad indictment of what the Union has done for Scotland.

#3 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,512 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

Pot an kettle spring to mind considering some of your 'club' ditties.
Wallace : why am I a traitor when I swear no allegiance to eng**nd ?

#4 arbroath55

arbroath55
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

At Bannockburn we fielded a home grown team including a lot of amateur players who were just proud to wear the jersey. Our boys had little experience of European football whereas the opposition had been playing in Europe for several centuries.

The opposition team were not only fairly well paid professionals but also included a few overseas players, their training facilities, equipment and overall preparation were better than ours.

However we were on home soil in front of a passionate home support and though the opposition reckoned we`d just play it up to the big man up front and charge forward our team captain was a bit more tactically astute

So in the same way that the opposition to this day wear a gold star on their jerseys to commemorate their greatest day on the field we display a golden flag with the date of ours  

#5 Kirk

Kirk
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

At Bannockburn we fielded a home grown team including a lot of amateur players who were just proud to wear the jersey. Our boys had little experience of European football whereas the opposition had been playing in Europe for several centuries.

The opposition team were not only fairly well paid professionals but also included a few overseas players, their training facilities, equipment and overall preparation were better than ours.

However we were on home soil in front of a passionate home support and though the opposition reckoned we`d just play it up to the big man up front and charge forward our team captain was a bit more tactically astute

So in the same way that the opposition to this day wear a gold star on their jerseys to commemorate their greatest day on the field we display a golden flag with the date of ours  

I like it.

Alba gu Brath

#6 portbhoypaddy

portbhoypaddy
  • Banned
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Pot an kettle spring to mind considering some of your 'club' ditties.

Does it ? Ok then.

Would you care to answer the question for him instead then?

If you compare the advantages in resources that Scotland enjoys over Norway - better location, easier access to market, world-class technology across a range of sectors, a whisky industry with world renowned premium brands, top universities, easier geography, a huge global diaspora willing us to do well and a great global brand - we should be considering Norway as our start point, not our end point. The fact that our aspirations are so low is a sad indictment of what the Union has done for Scotland.

#7 Goozay

Goozay
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Top whataboutery.

#8 portbhoypaddy

portbhoypaddy
  • Banned
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Top whataboutery.

Whataboutery over what?

I do notice that between yourself, Buzz and PC Hamish Macbeth, nobody has been able to answer my question so I'll ask again.

What has the battle of Bannockburn which happened in 1314 got to do with a football match in 2013?

#9 hannibal smith

hannibal smith
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Whataboutery over what?

I do notice that between yourself, Buzz and PC Hamish Macbeth, nobody has been able to answer my question so I'll ask again.

What has the battle of Bannockburn which happened in 1314 got to do with a football match in 2013?

:-))

Running a Loch Ness Marathon for the Sunshine Appeal  https://mydonate.bt..../alasdairsmith1

www.faircitytartanarmy.com

#10 Goozay

Goozay
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Whataboutery over what?

Remember Bannockburn flags were a pretty common site at Scotland games up till the 1980s. The original poster was looking for a photograph of one.

You're using that to try to defend Shellick fans association with Athenry and the diaspora in general.

There's a reason why club talk is avoided at Scotland games and why Old Firm chat is disliked - it's tedious and predictable.

#11 portbhoypaddy

portbhoypaddy
  • Banned
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Remember Bannockburn flags were a pretty common site at Scotland games up till the 1980s. The original poster was looking for a photograph of one.

You're using that to try to defend Shellick fans association with Athenry and the diaspora in general.

There's a reason why club talk is avoided at Scotland games and why Old Firm chat is disliked - it's tedious and predictable.

I never mentioned club football once, I asked a simple question. One which you failed to give a reasonable answer to.

#12 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,863 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Why you asking for an answer to a question you already know? :-))

Edited by ParisInAKilt, 25 July 2013 - 07:16 AM.

Pick it out Landreau

#13 hannibal smith

hannibal smith
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

are we not allowed to mention it or wave flags about it at the football?

i feel really stupid for having sung 'Flower of Scotland' now  :unsure: 

Running a Loch Ness Marathon for the Sunshine Appeal  https://mydonate.bt..../alasdairsmith1

www.faircitytartanarmy.com

#14 Goozay

Goozay
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

I never mentioned club football once, I asked a simple question. One which you failed to give a reasonable answer to.

It's a leading and loaded question that you know the answer to.

#15 portbhoypaddy

portbhoypaddy
  • Banned
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

It's a leading and loaded question that you know the answer to.

Something seems to have struck a nerve with you certainly.