• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Flure

Flure
  • 24,362 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

One thing that probably hasn't changed since 2007 is the mental driving

I mind one particular taxi journey.

The driver was driving us along, peering through his seriously cracked windscreen, talking on his mobile phone.

When his other mobile rang.

He fished about in his pocket with one hand, talking on his other phone, steering with his knees.

Then he was speaking on both phones at one - then we passed a church and he blessed himself.

Damn near joined him!!

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#17 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

I loved Tbilisi, I met a girl there in 2007 on tjat trip and went back for 10 days. Had an all day trip by taxi to a town where the river splits. Think it's called Mtskehta. Went up to jvari monastery up on the hill that overlooks the town. I couldn't see out the windscreen through the cracks. He stopped for fuel and poured it into some rocket pack style tank he had in the boot that really didn't look safe.
Spent a lot of time in the Beatles bar, great place. The owner was great and kept giving me free food. Hope he is still there.
It's the one trip I'm looking forward to most.

#18 Bristolhibby

Bristolhibby
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

The driver was driving us along, peering through his seriously cracked windscreen, talking on his mobile phone.

He fished about in his pocket with one hand, talking on his other phone, steering with his knees.

Then he was speaking on both phones at one - then we passed a church and he blessed himself.

Damn near joined him!!

LOL!

Reminds me of the mental taxi drivers in Bari. Get a taxi in town post game and our guy is driving his Fiat Multipla like he is being chased by the Carabinieri. After doing about 65 through narrow streets and me and the old man, belts on in the brace position he clocks some TA walking. Screeches the breaks and without asking picks up about 5 Dundodians. We are all crammed in bricking it as he hand breaks up to our hotel. Throw him some Euros and then thank god that we were alive.

Mad bastard!

J

#19 Flora MaDonald

Flora MaDonald
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

then we passed a church and he blessed himself.

I was all set to go before I read this..... :lol:

#20 MSP

MSP
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Where do Georgia usually play their international matches?
Ellenbank Bar Dundee TA.
But I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land........cap in hand.

#21 kumnio

kumnio
  • 15,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Tbilisi

luzhniki_stadium_4.jpg

Let 2014 be the start of a better Scotland.

#22 jimstroma

jimstroma
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Tbilisi

luzhniki_stadium_4.jpg

Should be no issues getting a ticket for this game for anyone :ok:

#23 Capital Saint

Capital Saint
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

I think you might be confusing the cable car with the funicular.

Both are new, and working well. The cable car goes up to the narikala fortress (the big spectacular lit up one that dominates the old town skyline). Saves you an almost 45 degree angle walk!

The funicular goes up to the park that scottcross mentioned. Good views on way up and a decent thing to do during day as you work through the hangover. Mtatsminda park, as its known, is a slightly weird place but kids love it. There's also a new restaurant up there which is supposed to be excellent but haven't been yet.

One thing that probably hasn't changed since 2007 is the mental driving, although there is now a universally observed law on seatbelts. Only for front seat mind, you'll regularly see kids running along the back seat with not a toss given by parents.

Damn near joined him!!

Oh yes, the driving was just as bad as the last time. However,, the best bit (or worst) was in 2007 when the guy I met over there was driving us to a restaurant. On the way, he stopped to put petrol in his car. I coudnae believe my eyes when I saw the guy at the pump in front of us lighting up a fag whilst he was filling up!

#24 datoch

datoch
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

Kumnio,

That's not Dinamo Arena, it's Luzhniki in Moscow 

Dinamo:

1623598_10201066589096954_452012023_n.jp

Edited by datoch, 27 February 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#25 kumnio

kumnio
  • 15,271 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

feckin google pic search has a lot to answer for.

Let 2014 be the start of a better Scotland.

#26 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Was speaking to stadium manager at Dinamo and he thinks the only qualifier guaranteed to be at Dinamo Arena (55,000 capacity) is the Germany game.

The other venue is Mikheil Meskhi Stadium, also in Tbilisi, which holds just over 25k.

#27 Gothenburg83

Gothenburg83
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hope it is Mikheil Meskhi Stadium looks much better!

#28 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

We had to collect our tickets there last time. Walked way up chavchavadze ave in the pissing rain and got soaked. Took over an hour to get back to the Beatles bar in a taxi.
The Boris Paichadze eas big but no atmosphere. Did they not pipe the crowd through the PA last time to make it sound louder?
I'd be happy with the Mikheil Meshki.

#29 Khana Lagur

Khana Lagur
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Kumnio,

That's not Dinamo Arena, it's Luzhniki in Moscow 

Dinamo:

1623598_10201066589096954_452012023_n.jp

That's what I was thinking  :blink:  cos I remember there was a guy who invaded the pitch in Tbilisi. He had to dreep down a ten feet wall.

#30 Flure

Flure
  • 24,362 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

That's what I was thinking  :blink:  cos I remember there was a guy who invaded the pitch in Tbilisi. He had to dreep down a ten feet wall.

Oh! i don't remember that!  :blink: 

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com