Photo

A Scot In Tbilisi

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Brassrubber

Brassrubber
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Gori was a great day trip to the cave town where we walked aboht shouting WILMA and singing the flintstones song much to the bemusement of a minibus full of intrepid american historians.when we returned to Gori town to visit Stalins birthplace his bedroom wastaped off due to an earlier TA minibus party climbing into his bed for a photo opportunity!.We then headed north into the country towards south osseitia for a superb meal in the middle of nowhere.It was very sad to see dead bodies a few weeks later in Gori town square on tv after the Russian invasion.
Scotland's Capital City

#32 datoch

datoch
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

Was speaking to stadium manager at Dinamo and he thinks the only qualifier guaranteed to be at Dinamo Arena (55,000 capacity) is the Germany game.

The other venue is Mikheil Meskhi Stadium, also in Tbilisi, which holds just over 25k.

I think it heavily depends on Georgia qualifying chances by that time

#33 datoch

datoch
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

The Boris Paichadze eas big but no atmosphere. Did they not pipe the crowd through the PA last time to make it sound louder?
I'd be happy with the Mikheil Meshki.

No need to pipe Georgians through PA :) We're noisy without that :)

It's roof which creates that loudness effect  on Dinamo ;)

#34 bh1877

bh1877
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Good to hear good stories, generally, but specifically about Tiblisi.

I haven't been to an away game since Berti's 6-0 mauling in the Amsterdam Arena due to family commitments but my daughter has been attending games with me since she was about 5 and will be nearly 14 about the time of the Georgia away game.  I was thinking this may be a good trip to go on from the point of view of a country you wouldn't normally go to, educational, different, not a massive away support of eejits only going for the drink and maybe half a chance of a ticket, if not officially, then in the away end.

Sounds like about £450 for a flight but pretty cheap when you get there.  I've had previous trips to Zagreb, when gallacher scored and Prague, when we were winning 2-0, that were similar.

What's your thoughts? 

#35 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

You should get cheaper than 450 quid flights for a start. Look into airbaltic, pegasus and turkish airlines. You prob wont be able to book for a while.

You would get a ticket for the game absolutely nae bother and your prediction of what the trip might be like sounds very close to being on the money.

Costs are indeed cheap when you get here although moderately priced accommodation isn't in massive supply. For the other TA guys, they can probably make do with a hostel but you'd probably want something more comfortable for your daughter's first trip. I can give you a couple of suggestions there.

Hilarious suggestion that Georgians need artificial noise to create atmosphere! 

#36 bh1877

bh1877
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Bonehead

#37 Bonehead

Bonehead
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

I just did an interview about Georgia and its football team for Scotzine.

You can read it here - http://www.scotzine....cation-threats/

#38 datoch

datoch
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Bonehead,

Nice interview!

#39 fringo

fringo
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

I just did an interview about Georgia and its football team for Scotzine.

You can read it here - http://www.scotzine....cation-threats/

Interesting insight - worth a read. :ok:  

"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now."

#40 EricTheCheeseman

EricTheCheeseman
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

I'll echo the positive comments about Tbilisi. One of my best trips. The punters were fantastic, and of all the random things that can happen on a trip, my most random was in Georgia.

One morning at about 5am, 5 of us found a wee dark, dinjy bar that was open. There was a barmaid, and there was 2 auld Georgian jaikeys in a dark corner. Our mate Stevie clocked an old piano, and decided to attempt chopsticks... at this point, one of the auld jaikeys shuffled over to the piano, asked Stevie to move.... and preceeded to do this....

(I apologise for the bampot backing singers)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f4a3rosKXyY

#41 jimstroma

jimstroma
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Very good video Eric :ok: Always enjoy finding a wee local pub and a sign song on away games.

#42 EricTheCheeseman

EricTheCheeseman
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

Cheers Jim...like I said..TA backing singers can sometimes take the gloss of a good tune ;-)

#43 macy37

macy37
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

I'll echo the positive comments about Tbilisi. One of my best trips. The punters were fantastic, and of all the random things that can happen on a trip, my most random was in Georgia.

One morning at about 5am, 5 of us found a wee dark, dinjy bar that was open. There was a barmaid, and there was 2 auld Georgian jaikeys in a dark corner. Our mate Stevie clocked an old piano, and decided to attempt chopsticks... at this point, one of the auld jaikeys shuffled over to the piano, asked Stevie to move.... and preceeded to do this....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=f4a3rosKXyY

Superb!!

#44 Tartan_Don

Tartan_Don
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Absolutely cracking
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

#45 PaulfiliiAlani

PaulfiliiAlani
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

• Hi Bonehead

Before the draw, which I was lucky enough to attend at Hampden, my mate and i had put Georgia atop a wish list for a return visit. Will be more than 2 of us booking but might be just the two of us from the '07 venture.

Saw your earlier answer ref impending father hood impecuniating nightlife knowledge but a different kind of question; in October 2007, after the match came out about 945 or whatever the bars all seemed to have been closed as a precaution(!), think we eventually got into a backshop of a diner near our hotel (Varazi) but any thoughts other than just cairry-oot up in cae we land at the hotel early?

See you in '15

Edited by PaulfiliiAlani, 04 March 2014 - 08:03 PM.

Leon Spinks - Footsoldier

The Tartan Army - defeating acts of terrorism since 1314