Photo

Time To Pull The Plug

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doric

Doric
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Another year of embarrasment. We can't compete. Surely it is now time for us to be repaced by an up and coming rugby nation and put us out of this annual misery.

How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#2 the_fadiator

the_fadiator
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

I'd say it's time to demand better, starting with a third pro team so young players can get exposed to pro rugby at an earlier stage

https://www.facebook...orScottishRugby

#3 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'd say it's time to demand better, starting with a third pro team so young players can get exposed to pro rugby at an earlier stage
https://www.facebook...orScottishRugby

Didn't really work out with the Border Reivers. And that's our rugby heartland.
The dawn of the superclubs seems to have really harmed the Scottish game...

#4 Dave78

Dave78
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Not to mention the professional era...

#5 the_fadiator

the_fadiator
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Didn't really work out with the Border Reivers. And that's our rugby heartland.

I'd maybe go for the Caledonia Reds. Is the alternative the status quo or shutting them and redistributing the funding to semi-amateur clubs? I'm not sure what the ideal option is, but Scotland are behind the original five nations teams at all levels and not enough young players are getting to play at a high enough level early enough. The professional era's been a mess. Something needs to change or we're going to always be in the wooden spoon battle and struggling to get out the group stage of the World Cups.

#6 allyc

allyc
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

There was talk for long enough about a two tier six nations....

#7 weekevie04

weekevie04
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

I don't know enough about rugby, but a Six Nations B league or something would be good.

1 up, 1 down and the 2nd bottom vs 5th in a neutral playoff. Might add some life into it and gives the likes of Romania and Georgia (didn't they nearly beat Ireland in the last WC, or the one previous) a chance to test themselves more often against the top tier rather than the likes of us and Italy stinking the place out near enough every year.

#8 McVinceSCT

McVinceSCT
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Romania were close to beat us in the last World Cup (i think).

Escargot Balloon!!!

#9 TartanTeddy

TartanTeddy
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

The money invested and generated in Ireland, England and Wales dwarfs the money invested i rugby in Scotland. 

Sean Lineen gave a talk a few years back and said Munster generated more income than all of the Scottish clubs and the SRU put together. They also have huge support through media and advertising to raise public interest in the game.

Glasgow are starting to see the benefits of moving to Scotstoun but it's not going to create a raft of new players overnight. But it will lead to a stronger national team in a few years. And there are a few good prospects coming through already.

Better funding and more support for schools and club rugby would make a huge difference.

TT

Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers. Bill Struth (1875 - 1956)

#10 Bristolhibby

Bristolhibby
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

At the end of the day football is the game in Scotland. It isn't in Ireland and Wales.

England is an anomaly but because of the playing population numbers it can do well in both.

We suffer a bit down here in the West Country. Rugby dominates and football struggles.

You have Bath, Gloucester, Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth. Football wise there nothing.

J