Photo

Football Unites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 saltire1320

saltire1320
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

Football is the one sport that can either divide or unite a nation. All over Spain last night they partied. From Bilbao in the Basque Country to Barcelona in Catalonia; to La Coruna and Vigo in Galicia. The scenes are incredible and I am so envious.
Yes, Spain is a divided nation but last night they were united as never before.

Barcelona

The images from across the country are amazing. The Spanish squad will touch down in Madrid this afternoon and you can imagine just what awaits them.

We can only dream.
Just Say i

#2 Flure

Flure
  • 22,957 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Football is the one sport that can either divide or unite a nation. All over Spain last night they partied. From Bilbao in the Basque Country to Barcelona in Catalonia; to La Coruna and Vigo in Galicia. The scenes are incredible and I am so envious.
Yes, Spain is a divided nation but last night they were united as never before.

Barcelona

The images from across the country are amazing. The Spanish squad will touch down in Madrid this afternoon and you can imagine just what awaits them.

We can only dream.

Yep. Somehow TeamGB is more attractive for us now.

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#3 saltire1320

saltire1320
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

:lol: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

you know how to make someone feel very very ill
Just Say i

#4 Brassrubber

Brassrubber
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I was in Palma City the night Barcelona played Real Madrid and it was fantastic great rivalry and passion without any aggression all done with a smile - would have loved to be in mainland Spain on holiday now but the thought of our neighbours still being in it for the latter stages was just too much to consider . We will have a great time there next October no matter where the game is played :lol:
Scotland's Capital City

#5 Flure

Flure
  • 22,957 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

I was in Palma City the night Barcelona played Real Madrid and it was fantastic great rivalry and passion without any aggression all done with a smile - would have loved to be in mainland Spain on holiday now but the thought of our neighbours still being in it for the latter stages was just too much to consider . We will have a great time there next October no matter where the game is played :lol:

I hear that they're considering taking us to Tenerife!

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#6 Brassrubber

Brassrubber
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image
Favourite for Team GB captain models Team GB suit so he diz
Scotland's Capital City

#7 Flure

Flure
  • 22,957 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Posted Image
Favourite for Team GB captain models Team GB suit so he diz

Good grief. Should he no' be holding a number in front of himself in that photo?

#8 zappafan

zappafan
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

1.5 million people marched in the streets of Barcelona for independence on Saturday....

http://www.smh.com.a...0711-105p2.html

I know there was more than the 4 per sq meter that the Police estimated, because I was there, and it was literally impossible to move.

Edited by zappafan, 12 July 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Cumbie Neil

Cumbie Neil
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

1.5 million people marched in the streets of Barcelona for independence on Saturday....

http://www.smh.com.a...0711-105p2.html

I know there was more than the 4 per sq meter that the Police estimated, because I was there, and it was literally impossible to move.

And if the same ruling happened in Scotland, folk would quietly mumble about it and do hee haw :lol:

#10 iainmac1

iainmac1
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

I was always under the impression that the majority of people in Catalonia viewed themselfs as such and didn't class themselfs as Spanish. But from that article the deputy leader of the seperatist party said ''This is ridiculous,'' he said. ''We will end up with more Spanish flags being waved for the Spain-Holland [World Cup final] match on Sunday than Catalan flags on the Saturday demonstration.'' And by seeing videos from Las Ramblas there was big celebrations in the streets of Barcelona and there are plenty videos of mass celebrations on the internet. So do they also view themselfs as Spanish as well or are these two seperate groups of people or are they jumping on the bandwagon :lol:
diegosta.com

#11 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

It'd be interesting to see how Scotland would react to a UK team winning the World Cup, if there had never been a separate Scotland international team or league (which is probably a similar position to that of Catalunya).

I think there would be quite a lot of support, especially if there were Scots in the team.

I also think Scottish football would be a very different place with the Old Firm being unable to dominate as much in a UK league. In fact the Old Firm rivalry might not exist with the same intensity and a club Rangers may have evolved as a symbol of Scottish identity in the UK Premier League (like Barca).

All hypothetical of course and I'm glad it's not the case (although I could live without the Old Firm dominance).

#12 zappafan

zappafan
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

I was always under the impression that the majority of people in Catalonia viewed themselfs as such and didn't class themselfs as Spanish. But from that article the deputy leader of the seperatist party said ''This is ridiculous,'' he said. ''We will end up with more Spanish flags being waved for the Spain-Holland [World Cup final] match on Sunday than Catalan flags on the Saturday demonstration.'' And by seeing videos from Las Ramblas there was big celebrations in the streets of Barcelona and there are plenty videos of mass celebrations on the internet. So do they also view themselfs as Spanish as well or are these two seperate groups of people or are they jumping on the bandwagon :lol:

They estimate around 70,000 people on the streets of Barcelona celebration the Spain win compared to 1.5 million at the demonstration the day before. When you considering the huge movement of non-Catalans to Barcelona during and after the Franco years it's really not a large amount compared to (literally) millions the day before.

The other thing that complicates this issue is that, of course , Catalunya don't have a seleccio right now (before some idiot jumps in and tells me they do, they only play friendlies and cant compete officially). SO, with the large number of Catalans who made up the Spanish squad, some people view this is basically Catalunya winning the mundial and not Spain.

#13 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

The impression I get is that a large minority of Catalans are committed independistas and non-Spanishers, a smaller minority are Spanishers-only (many of them migrants from further west no doubt) and a majority in between has mixed feelings - they view themselves as Catalan and Spanish, in varying measures, and don't object to being a part of something called "Spain" - though they don't like that something being as Castillian and Madrid-dominated as it is. And it matters a lot exactly what status Catalonia has within Spain - a semi/largely-autonomous region is acceptable, a province isn't.

I think you can't easily map the Catalonia-Spain situation onto the Scotland-Britain one. They're really quite different.

And I still want to know what kind of football setup the independistas envisage in a future Catalonia.
being a robot in my digital domain... enter my world, feel my pain

#14 zappafan

zappafan
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

The impression I get is that a large minority of Catalans are committed independistas and non-Spanishers, a smaller minority are Spanishers-only (many of them migrants from further west no doubt) and a majority in between has mixed feelings - they view themselves as Catalan and Spanish, in varying measures, and don't object to being a part of something called "Spain" - though they don't like that something being as Castillian and Madrid-dominated as it is. And it matters a lot exactly what status Catalonia has within Spain - a semi/largely-autonomous region is acceptable, a province isn't.

I think you can't easily map the Catalonia-Spain situation onto the Scotland-Britain one. They're really quite different.

And I still want to know what kind of football setup the independistas envisage in a future Catalonia.

And I still think hypothesising over football is trivial compared to the larger issues at stake for these people, which you clearly don't understand.

#15 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

And I still think hypothesising over football is trivial compared to the larger issues at stake for these people, which you clearly don't understand.

1. I'm trying to understand. If you could point out where I'm wrong I'd appreciate it.

2. This is a football message board so whilst hypothesising about football is indeed trivial in the grand scheme of things, there is a place for it and that place is here.
being a robot in my digital domain... enter my world, feel my pain