Photo

What Were Everyone's Thoughts On Trip?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 colin standrews

colin standrews
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Got back around 6 this morning. Think my brain is in hibernation mode! Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the trip? I though the atmosphere on match day seemed a little subdued? Perhaps just with everyone being spread around the city rather than a central focal point.
Great weather, good beer and a not too bad game of footie though, well except for the result of course!
We'll do it the right way.....the Scottish way!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Dillinger

Dillinger
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

First thing ill think about with that place is the burds. They were fecking phenomenal! And dolled up on a Tuesday night of all nights...

Rest of the trip was class, some quality banter.

Had already prepared myself for the result so football wise I wasn't as sorely disappointed as I've been in the past.
"But I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land, cap in hand"

#3 kiltedblue2

kiltedblue2
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Aye a good trip, was a bit too hot for me, especially wi my white skin, have to
thank the boys at Passport Travel, hotels were excellent and Jimmy Eddie and
Brian looked after us all like parents. Got back this morning at 7 am went straight
tae bed, now got the washin machine on getting all my gear washed, 4 pairs of kilt
hose absolutely mingin, must have been the wellies :whistling: :whistling:

Oan yonder hill thurr stood a coo, its no therr noo! it must a shiftit!

#4 TA Jetset

TA Jetset
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hope you put the wellies outside to air Colin!!

Aye a good trip, was a bit too hot for me, especially wi my white skin, have to
thank the boys at Passport Travel, hotels were excellent and Jimmy Eddie and
Brian looked after us all like parents. Got back this morning at 7 am went straight
tae bed, now got the washin machine on getting all my gear washed, 4 pairs of kilt
hose absolutely mingin, must have been the wellies :whistling: :whistling:

#5 irnbru

irnbru
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

still here still very hot in benidorm
did not think alicanta was ready for us
not many bar staff spoke english
pubs run out off beer
nightmare to get in missed the first 10 mins
got to ground at 8.10pm

#6 fudger7

fudger7
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

still here still very hot in benidorm
did not think alicanta was ready for us
not many bar staff spoke english
pubs run out off beer
nightmare to get in missed the first 10 mins
got to ground at 8.10pm

Gotta agree with you, I mean ffs, it's spain, but your using finger pointing and sign language to order a drink. Getting into the stadium was painfully slow and coming out was worse. People waiting at the players exit which happened to be a bottleneck and I'm surprised no one was injured in the crush it caused. That said, had a great time, consumed way too much alcohol and have sore sides now, laughing at/with all the boys who stayed at hotel castilla, cheers to you all. By the way, anyone know if old Joe got a ticket after leaving his in Zurich! :)

#7 Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

Brilliant!

So we should expect people to speak English I think your saying? Am still in Alicante and enjoying saying dos cerveza por favor! Took about 2 seconds to work that out!

#8 fudger7

fudger7
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

Brilliant!

So we should expect people to speak English I think your saying? Am still in Alicante and enjoying saying dos cerveza por favor! Took about 2 seconds to work that out!

Never said that mate, but if you work in a tourist resort doing a job that involves direct spoken contact with tourists then I'm afraid it's an essential skill to have a basic understanding of main languages, well done you for working your spiel out in two secs, so why can't they do the same with english?not looking for a full blown conversation on quantum physics here! Not everyone is as clever as you, was sitting with a guy who constantly said " merci" to the barman after each round!

#9 dipped flake

dipped flake
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Brilliant!

Every country I go to I always find out how to say please, thank you and how to order a beer (well apart from Saudi Arabia which has no word for please and 'officially' no beer)
Just think it's common courtesy and nobody in the SSC has any excuse as they are all printed in the wee welcome packs you get with your ticket.

#10 Spirit of bannockburn

Spirit of bannockburn
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

:beer2Ņot home until monday,the place is still jumpin(benidorm) :guitar: :sing: :cheers3 :beer2:: :beer2:
"You bled with Wallace now bleed with me"

#11 fudger7

fudger7
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

I think it's great that you do that and totally agree with you. I'll five you an example to illustrate the point I was trying to make, our hotel gave us a number for a taxi firm to call for our return journey from the stadium, it was hopeless. I spoke to three people on the phone and got nowhere. Went for a pizza and had to just point at the screen to show what we wanted. Be honest here guys...how many foot soldiers can say " can I have a taxi please from the duke pub in plaza de Los luceros to San juan" or " 12 inch chicken and sweetcorn pizza without onions on a thin crust please" in fluent or even broken Spanish. My point is merely that if you work in the tourist industry, get the skills. Does your window cleaner turn up each week and borrow your sponge? No, he's got the tools for the trade. By all means learn the lingo, and hats off to you for it, but that doesn't hide the fact that for a popular tourist resort there was a more pronounced language barrier than I've came across on other trips.

Edited by fudger7, 12 October 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#12 Bingo Foot Soldier

Bingo Foot Soldier
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

I just home the folk in Ayr and Portobello have a good command of the European lingoes for the tourists coming .

#13 Lamia

Lamia
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

Got back around 6 this morning. Think my brain is in hibernation mode! Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the trip? I though the atmosphere on match day seemed a little subdued? Perhaps just with everyone being spread around the city rather than a central focal point.
Great weather, good beer and a not too bad game of footie though, well except for the result of course!

Unpumping believable. No wonder Brits abroad get a bad name. I have been to loads of tourist destinations where there was limited English spoken and we certainly don't make any effort in Scotland to cater for non-English speakers!

I honestly can't get over this attitude. Never expected to see the like on a TA board!

As for beer and getting into the ground we had no issue there either. We got to the ground at around 8.10 too and walked straight in!

Loved Alicante! Great chill out time just a shame how the football turned out!

From which we'll rise, over love, over hate through this Iron Sky that's fast becoming our mind. Over fear into freedom. - Paolo Nutini

#14 Bingo Foot Soldier

Bingo Foot Soldier
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

Unsure if Alicante is a tourist hub . Possibly the sea front but the town was not overly tourist .

#15 Lamia

Lamia
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Unsure if Alicante is a tourist hub . Possibly the sea front but the town was not overly tourist .

I would agree with that. Most people seem to be Spanish even on the beach!

From which we'll rise, over love, over hate through this Iron Sky that's fast becoming our mind. Over fear into freedom. - Paolo Nutini