Mulgrew A Must

Squad

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Doric

Doric
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Surely Charlie Mulgrew will be called up at last for Slovenia game. If not then I think it must be a personal thing with Levein from their Dundee Utd days.He is getting better every week.
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#2 McManus4

McManus4
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Regularly have to post this to fellow Celtic fans so I have it saved to explain why he hasn't been called up.

Originally Posted by McManus4 Posted Image
Northern Ireland - Feb- Not playing regularly.
Brazil - March - Playing regularly for less than a month.
Wales/Ire - May - Recently converted to CB. Playing well but Undeserving of a call up.
Denmark - Aug - Started season on bench.
Czech/Lithuania - Sep - Vital qualifiers. Not the right time to start changing the centre backs.
Spain/Lithuania - Oct - Injured.
Cyprus - Nov - Injured.

#3 hooray_hamish

hooray_hamish
  • Banned
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Certainly wont do any harm having him in the squad at least.
Scotland jerseys are not a second choice,they don't shrink to fit foreign players.

#4 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

BBC announced during the week that he will be called up, and were raving about him today (when it looked like he was injured they commented "that will harm Leveins plans if its bad")
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#5 McManus4

McManus4
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Certainly wont do any harm having him in the squad at least.

Hopefully to replace Bombscare Berra.

#6 kumnio

kumnio
  • 15,215 posts

Too Scottish.

(awaits Reeky etc)

Let 2014 be the start of a better Scotland.

#7 Doric

Doric
  • 2,255 posts

Regularly have to post this to fellow Celtic fans so I have it saved to explain why he hasn't been called up.

good answer
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#8 Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

No excuse not to try him out now.

A versatile defender who can pass a ball and can be lethal with a dead ball?

Oh wait a minute he's Scottish!! Avril doesn't like that............
Dhe faliminderit!

#9 allyc

allyc
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

we need decent centre half.hopefully he can give good account of himself as the rest of the competition are all in someway suspect.not sure if will though.

#10 hooray_hamish

hooray_hamish
  • Banned
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hopefully to replace Bombscare Berra.

Maybe but Mulgrew is also prone to silly errors i.e Motherwell away last year so there's nothing to suggest he would automatically be the answer just because he is playing well for a very good Celtic side.
Scotland jerseys are not a second choice,they don't shrink to fit foreign players.

#11 McManus4

McManus4
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Maybe but Mulgrew is also prone to silly errors i.e Motherwell away last year so there's nothing to suggest he would automatically be the answer just because he is playing well for a very good Celtic side.

And it won't be his last mistake.

However that is the risk you take when playing a centre back who doesn't just launch it up the park. These mistakes are rare too... Kilmarnock away was the last mistake he made that I can remember. He also has 5 goals and 5 assists.

#12 deecie

deecie
  • 10,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well, Hibs have managed to score a massive 12 goals in 14 home games this season, so naturally, Mulgrew managing to keep a clean sheet against such a prolific strikeforce is deserving of a Scotland call-up.

Lennon is a genius for 'converting' him to a full-back while he was still playing for Aberdeen.

2nd Gen Megadrive

26" Colour HITACHI

#13 Mox

Mox
  • 898 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

As a Celtic fan, don't get me wrong Mulgrew does a job in the SPL, however, he is not what is needed for neither Celtic or Scotland when it comes to making the step up.

His distribution is utterly appalling and for me, a defender shouldn't just be able to defend they should be able to pass the ball and he cannot do that. He has looked good in the mediocre surroundings of the SPL, but he's not for me.

#14 hooray_hamish

hooray_hamish
  • Banned
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well, Hibs have managed to score a massive 12 goals in 14 home games this season, so naturally, Mulgrew managing to keep a clean sheet against such a prolific strikeforce is deserving of a Scotland call-up..

I'd guess that was tongue n cheek but if not that's a pretty ridiculous comment to make.

I don't think anybody is suggesting he be capped based on today,more on the basis of his long ru of good performances over the past year or so. As I said earlier,it wont do any harm to throw him in a friendly to give him a chance to show what he can do.

#15 hooray_hamish

hooray_hamish
  • Banned
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

His distribution is utterly appalling

Eh?