Photo

Squad Without English Born Players

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

A fair percentage of the posts on here are regarding English born players and how they should/shouldn't get the opportunity to play for us, how they have to consider themselves "Scottish" or not have represented England or another nation at any youth level etc etc.

It is incredibly subjective, therefore lets create a scenario where we, as a rule, don't allow any English born players to be called up...

Lets say there was a friendly coming up, next month for example, and there was an under 21 game on the same night, therefore under 21 players are ruled out.

A likely squad of all Scottish born, over 21 YO players would consist of the following;

GK's McGregor, Gordon, Marshall

DF's Hutton, Berra, Caldwell, Mulgrew, Webster, McManus, Wallace,

MF's Adam, Brown, McArthur, Cowie, Robson, Snodgrass, Burke, Templeton

FW's Miller, Goodwillie, McCormack, Murphy, O'Connor

I've probably forgotten about someone obvious there, apologies...

There's a 23 man squad, now.... as it is a friendly we will have call offs, say 8 (Probably a rough average!?)

So now leave the goalies and take 3 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers out and try and replace them (Without including injured players, english born or under 21's)

The standard of player in those 8 replacements will, hopefully, show what the English born players bring to our squad and why the majority of them (Not all) are good additions to our player pool......

#2 wembley67lisbon

wembley67lisbon
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

See "Scotland Squad" thead :guitar:

#3 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 28,542 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sorry, but "English born" does not mean English.

You should really start a thread called "Squad with just Scottish players"

Vote No and forever lose the right to complain about a UK Govt that does not represent Scotland
Vote Yes in 2014 and get the government we want, every single time

#4 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Sorry, but "English born" does not mean English.

You should really start a thread called "Squad with just Scottish players"

Yep made it that due to the subjectivity of peoples perspective on "Scottish", just for arguments sake....

#5 Marky

Marky
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

This thread is completely pointless. I don't think there is a single person on this board who wouldn't agree that it's possible that employing these tactics could give us a better squad.

That's not the effin' point!!!

#6 WillfaeSwindon

WillfaeSwindon
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yep made it that due to the subjectivity of peoples perspective on "Scottish", just for arguments sake....

no, I think you will find a vast majority of the "no foreigner" camp agree that they want people that wouldnt rather play for a different country.

How about Scotland squad without players who would prefer to be playing for a different country?
Jobs we should have chosen #1: Oligarch's wife.

London Scottish AFC - More history than the MK Dons!
www.londonscottishfc.com also add us on Facebook!!!

I want to go for a swim!

#7 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

no, I think you will find a vast majority of the "no foreigner" camp agree that they want people that wouldnt rather play for a different country. How about Scotland squad without players who would prefer to be playing for a different country?

Yeah fine if thats what you want to call it then try and name one that isn't riddles with Gary MacKenzie esque standard players....

#8 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I think when injuries do take their toll, it shows just how limited our pool really is.... could you imagine going into the Czech/Spain double-header with the squad that made up the Faroes game at Aberdeen?

Nobody is calling for 11 "English born" Scots to make up a team, but without these players, we would be in really deep trouble!
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#9 Garywag

Garywag
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I think when injuries do take their toll, it shows just how limited our pool really is.... could you imagine going into the Czech/Spain double-header with the squad that made up the Faroes game at Aberdeen?

Nobody is calling for 11 "English born" Scots to make up a team, but without these players, we would be in really deep trouble!

That made me look back to see who it was, which then made me look back to see Levein's first ever match and look at his team that day:

Gordon
Hutton
Wallace
Webster
G Caldwell
K Thomson
Brown
Robson
Miller
Fletcher
Dorrans

Subs
Berra
Boyd
Hartley
Adam
Whittaker
Iwelumo (unused)
Marshall (unused)

So we had an entire team made up of players who are Scottish, we actually won that evening amazingily against the team that he decided only 7 months later that we wouldn't be able to beat. It's bizarre the way things have changed since then.
'It's an iron lung, it keeps me from dying.. I WANNA PLAY BASEBALL!!!!!'

#10 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

That made me look back to see who it was, which then made me look back to see Levein's first ever match and look at his team that day:

True, but at the same time, remember we were due to paly the Czechs a few months later in Prague (remember there was calls to even cancel the game) and I have always felt the Czechs didn't want to give anything away and Levein was desperate to get his first win under his belt.... so I would not look to much into that game as an example, as the Czechs did look like they were holding back that night.
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#11 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Which is absolutely pointless as its not what fowk are saying/objecting to!
Signatures are gay

#12 SlayerX

SlayerX
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

Which is absolutely pointless as its not what fowk are saying/objecting to!

Your logic is as hilarious as it is ridiculous,

So, would you accept 11 english born players if they all said in unison "Yes, I am Scottish," ?

By your logic, you would.
I came, I saw, I conquered. ~ Julius Caesar

#13 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

So we had an entire team made up of players who are Scottish, we actually won that evening amazingily against the team that he decided only 7 months later that we wouldn't be able to beat.

And people wonder why I dont think CL will get us near qualifying for Brazil, the guy is so immersed in his own perceived brilliance he can't see what's right in front of him.
Signatures are gay

#14 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Your logic is as hilarious as it is ridiculous,

So, would you accept 11 english born players if they all said in unison "Yes, I am Scottish," ?

By your logic, you would.

No, you are making up stupid scenarios to try to back up your own feeble arguments.

My logic is perfectly erm... logical, that you should be Scottish to play for the Scottish national team and if you are english, then you play for england. Being "eligible for" somewhere does not make you belong to or "come from" that nation.

You are what you are, there is no such nationality as 'eligible'.

Edited by Bzzzz, 22 February 2012 - 06:43 PM.

Signatures are gay

#15 SlayerX

SlayerX
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

No, you are making up stupid scenarios to try to back up your own feeble arguments.

My logic is perfectly erm... logical, that you should be Scottish to play for the Scottish national team and if you are english, then you play for england. Being "eligible for" somewhere does not make you belong to or "come from" that nation.

You are what you are, there is no such nationality as 'eligible'.

The word "Yes" is your only criteria for a player to represent Scotland, you've said it many times on here.

I came, I saw, I conquered. ~ Julius Caesar