• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Bobby Russell's Lovechild
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

Steven Fletcher wants Scotland return, says Mick McCarthy

Steven Fletcher's former manager Mick McCarthy insists the striker wants to end his Scotland exile.
Wolves' top scorer has not been selected by Scotland boss Craig Levein since he shunned a call up by text message in February 2011.
And Levein has repeatedly said that Fletcher needs to make the first move for there to be a reconciliation.
"Fletch wants to play and would be more than happy to sit down and resolve it," McCarthy told BBC Scotland.

"But I certainly don't want to be giving advice to Craig Levein because he's a good manager.
"It seems to me that it's not such a big deal but a big deal has been made of it.
"The more Steven Fletcher plays well and scores goals in the Premier League, it makes it harder for Craig because people are going to put pressure on him."
Fletcher has netted 10 goals for the Premier League's bottom side, who sacked McCarthy in February.
And the 24-year-old remains on the list of players under consideration for a place in Great Britain's Olympic squad .
"Sadly, it looks like Wolves are going down and Steven Fletcher will be courted by teams in the top half of the table because he's a top player," added McCarthy.
"I was his manager and I was concerned about a player of his ability not playing at international level. He should be recognised as a Scottish international."

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild, 18 April 2012 - 05:27 PM.

Mighty 'Well!!!!

#2 northernscum

northernscum
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter

Steven Fletcher wants Scotland return, says Mick McCarthy

Steven Fletcher's former manager Mick McCarthy insists the striker wants to end his Scotland exile.
Wolves' top scorer has not been selected by Scotland boss Craig Levein since he shunned a call up by text message in February 2011.
And Levein has repeatedly said that Fletcher needs to make the first move for there to be a reconciliation.
"Fletch wants to play and would be more than happy to sit down and resolve it," McCarthy told BBC Scotland.

"But I certainly don't want to be giving advice to Craig Levein because he's a good manager.
"It seems to me that it's not such a big deal but a big deal has been made of it.
"The more Steven Fletcher plays well and scores goals in the Premier League, it makes it harder for Craig because people are going to put pressure on him."
Fletcher has netted 10 goals for the Premier League's bottom side, who sacked McCarthy in February.
And the 24-year-old remains on the list of players under consideration for a place in Great Britain's Olympic squad .
"Sadly, it looks like Wolves are going down and Steven Fletcher will be courted by teams in the top half of the table because he's a top player," added McCarthy.
"I was his manager and I was concerned about a player of his ability not playing at international level. He should be recognised as a Scottish international."

Nothing new here i'm afraid.

"There are no prisoners of war, only traitors"

Independence day 24/03/2016

#3 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nothing new here i'm afraid.

Yup, Fletcher has to kiss Levein's ass if he wants to play.

#4 the_fadiator

the_fadiator
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I heard the interview and McCarthy pretty much said he doesn't know the detail.

With all I've read on this, I get the impression that Fletcher does not wish to play for Levein again. That at least matches his view that he wants to play for Scotland, just not yet.

All that said, none of us know the reality, as much as people on here debate about knowing Levein and Fletcher's positions on the matter.

#5 Garywag

Garywag
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

because he's a good manager

What do you know McCarthy? :lol:

Edited by Garywag, 18 April 2012 - 06:09 PM.

'It's an iron lung, it keeps me from dying.. I WANNA PLAY BASEBALL!!!!!'

#6 SlayerX

SlayerX
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Yup, Fletcher has to kiss Levein's ass if he wants to play.

So, when you pick up and call someone it's deemed as kissing X's ass?

All he has to do is pick up the phone. No one ever chocked to death on pride.

This isn't club football, with club football you play for the manager, international football you play for the country.
I came, I saw, I conquered. ~ Julius Caesar

#7 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

So, when you pick up and call someone it's deemed as kissing X's ass?

Levein claims the problem is that he thinks Fletcher is unavailable, why is a phone call needed?

#8 BremnerLorimerGray

BremnerLorimerGray
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image
Chino Army. Scotlands only Chino based supporters club. We don't do Kilts, We do Chino's

And what about you, my fair lady? Can i trouble you for a quick Lewinsky?

#9 Louie

Louie
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Didn't Mick McCarthy fall out with Roy Keane and say he wouldn't pick him again for Ireland? I'll let everyone make their own mind up whether Roy Keane or Stephen Fletcher were better players but not sure we should read too much into what Mick MCCarthy says or appears to have said. I'm sure he would only have taken Roy Keane back if Roy Keane made the first move and apologised (like Tevez at Man City). Might be wrong on this ......

Edited by Louie, 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#10 SlayerX

SlayerX
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Levein claims the problem is that he thinks Fletcher is unavailable, why is a phone call needed?

To declare his immediate availability.
I came, I saw, I conquered. ~ Julius Caesar

#11 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Didn't Mick McCarthy fall out with Roy Keane and say he wouldn't pick him again for Ireland?

Roy Keane walked out on his country about 3 days before the start of the World Cup, the guy is a kunt.

#12 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

To declare his immediate availability.

But Levein knows that he's available.

#13 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

But Levein knows that he's available.

He might not.

He didn't know about Goodwillie's assault case either or how to put a kilt on correctly last year.

Edited by Cove_Sheep, 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.

Vote No and forever lose the right to complain about a UK Govt that does not represent Scotland
Vote Yes in 2014 and get the government we want, every single time

#14 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,823 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

He might not.

He didn't know about Goodwillie's assault case either or how to put a kilt on correctly last year.

I'll get non-proud, Reeky and Slayer moaning at me if i make the joke i'm thinking of............

#15 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'll get non-proud, Reeky and Slayer moaning at me if i make the joke i'm thinking of............

They'll moan at you anyway, so just do it.

Vote No and forever lose the right to complain about a UK Govt that does not represent Scotland
Vote Yes in 2014 and get the government we want, every single time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Again