Photo
- - - - -

Race For Life, Where Does The Money Go?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 sonofoi

sonofoi
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

Not looking to be controverstial as its a worthy cause. My wife & daughters did the Falkirk race for life yesterday and raised a magnificent £420 between them!
The organisers mentioned that last years event raised £170 000 & their target this year was £167 000.

I went to the park to support them & it was a sea of pink and I reckon their target would have been reached. Each runner/walker has to pay an entry fee and then obviously raise sponsor money.

On they day there was stewarding, organisers, and para-medics etc, so say hypothetically the running costs/wages etc are £10-20000. This one event has raised a clear £150 000.

Multiply that with all the other races for life and other donations etc theres a helluva lot of money being raised for research to find a cure for this terrible disease, so where is the cure? Is progress being made? Is it cureable? Does all the money raised go towards research?

As I say am merely curious as its quite over whelming seeing all these people there doing the event for a reason.
Scots Wha Hae. Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled, Scots wham Bruce has aften led. Welcome to your gory bed or to victorie! I fought the law and I won!

#2 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Is it right that only women can enter it? If so, why?
being a robot in my digital domain... enter my world, feel my pain

#3 sonofoi

sonofoi
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

This one yesterday in Falkirk was women only, one of their pink women only events but I'm sure there are similar males only & unisex events!
Scots Wha Hae. Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled, Scots wham Bruce has aften led. Welcome to your gory bed or to victorie! I fought the law and I won!

#4 andreimack

andreimack
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

From the website.

01. Why is Race for Life for women only?

Race for Life is the only women-only event of its type organised by Cancer Research UK. We restrict entry to women due to the wishes of our participants. It is one of our most successful events because it is a unique opportunity for women to come together in a non-competitive and celebratory atmosphere.

But Race for Life has many male supporters and they can get involved by volunteering on the day and support our participants. To find out more about how you can volunteer at an event near you, please visit the volunteering page on our website or call our hotline on 0871 641 2272.
(killiefaetheferry @ 14:23 27 May 2010) Let's just say I'm middle aged now, and when I were a lad, girls didn't have tattoos. That was for sailors and circus freaks.

#5 Longshanks

Longshanks
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

From the website.

Race for Life is the only women-only event of its type organised by Cancer Research UK. We restrict entry to women due to the wishes of our participants. It is one of our most successful events because it is a unique opportunity for women to come together in a non-competitive and celebratory atmosphere.

But Race for Life has many male supporters and they can get involved by volunteering on the day and support our participants. To find out more about how you can volunteer at an event near you, please visit the volunteering page on our website or call our hotline on 0871 641 2272.

I dont understand.....
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker

#6 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

If it was open to both males and females, a lot of the women who enter wouldn't
Pick it out Landreau

#7 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

From the website.

All a bit vague and unconvincing. Would a no-women event be tolerated?

#8 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

If it was open to both males and females, a lot of the women who enter wouldn't

Would it raise more money though? I would have thought that should be the first and last consideration.

#9 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

All a bit vague and unconvincing. Would a no-women event be tolerated?

I'd be surprised if it was
Pick it out Landreau

#10 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Would it raise more money though? I would have thought that should be the first and last consideration.

I drove past the Glasgow event last month and was surprised by the amount of 'older' women taking part. Maybe the organisers see a women only event as being more accessible to women who wouldn't normally take part in these types of events. Whether it makes more money or not I'm not sure. It seems really popular
Pick it out Landreau

#11 Kernaghan

Kernaghan
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

I drove past the Glasgow event last month and was surprised by the amount of 'older' women taking part. Maybe the organisers see a women only event as being more accessible to women who wouldn't normally take part in these types of events. Whether it makes more money or not I'm not sure. It seems really popular

I sort of understand that reason. If it's a question of competitiveness then I would have thought they could stream it so people were running with other people of similar ability. If some women simply don't want to run alongside men in any circumstances then I don't really think I understand why.

I'm sure this event would raise more money if it was open to all. If that's correct then the organisers are putting the concept of a glorified hen night ahead of actually raising funds to help treat cancer.

Also, it turns out there is a men-only run, which was set up as an afterthought, is run infrequently and receives next to no publicity (I'd never heard of it). Point is, I don't want there to be a men-only run.

#12 Louch

Louch
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:27 PM

so women would rather run amongst themselves than cure cancer? donated 20 quid to various people doing them this year.
not everyone views the world through the eyes of the TAMB.
- Reeky Sporran 21/04/2011

Only eats CoS soup with British soldiers

#13 tartanlass

tartanlass
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

I sort of understand that reason. If it's a question of competitiveness then I would have thought they could stream it so people were running with other people of similar ability. If some women simply don't want to run alongside men in any circumstances then I don't really think I understand why.

The whole point of the race for life is that it isnt a competition, its about walking, jogging or running with friends while raising money. I would have no problem with men doing it but streaming it based on ability etc takes away from the reason many woman do it.....a day of fun celebrating loved ones who survived cancer or remembering those who didnt surrounded by people in the same position.

I think thats probably one of the reasons men arent involved.....race for life isnt a competition and itsnt about how quickly you finish!!!!

The money for Race for life goes predominantly to the research, funding of doctors and nurses for breast cancer and cervical cancer probably another reason it is woman only??

Just my thoughts, i may be wrong.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......its learning how to dance in the rain

#14 neilly71

neilly71
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

I'm sure this event would raise more money if it was open to all. If that's correct then the organisers are putting the concept of a glorified hen night ahead of actually raising funds to help treat cancer.

Also, it turns out there is a men-only run, which was set up as an afterthought, is run infrequently and receives next to no publicity (I'd never heard of it). Point is, I don't want there to be a men-only run.

Its doing good, so get over it.

Rangers are dead, long live The Rangers!

#15 Smithy

Smithy
  • 400 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

There was a program on the BBC recently about the London Marathon. Although the marathon is run by a charity, something like £25 in every £26 raised was for expenses. Some of the big charities pay something like £300 per person to the london marathon as their entry fee.

For the events outside London I presume most of the admin costs are paid from sponsership. Most of the first aid and stewarding would be by volunteers, local police force and local council would give a healthy discount as it's for charity etc etc. Think there was some councils in London said the marathon cost them something like £150k but they only charged the charity something like £3k.