Photo

Return To Three Center Backs

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 SlayerX

SlayerX
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Under Craig Brown we played with three at the back for many years, and we did succeed with it, we played decent football and more importantly we did qualify for a couple of tournaments. It's by common consensus that our weakest position is defence and our strongest is midfield so if only stands to reason that we switch to three center backs and six in midfield (including two wing-backs). We only have to look at Wigan to see how effective three at the back can be, since they've reverted to three center backs Gary Caldwell has been solid.

We aren't good enough to play with a flat back four, so if people do want Mulgrew in the team then perhaps this is how to accommodate him, we can see how Caldwell has flourished.
I came, I saw, I conquered. ~ Julius Caesar

#2 rasputin

rasputin
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Do we have pacy full/wing-backs available to us just now?

It only works when you have fast guys at left and right back.

“Should Scotland be an independent country?” Yes or No.   YES, Tha, Aye

#3 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Not many teams play 2 out and out forwards anymore so I don't know if 3 centre backs would work. The general feeling is defense is our weakest position but I'm not so sure anymore, I think better defenders would struggle in our team because we defend deep at times, struggle to keep possession and invite pressure on ourselves. Although maybe we defend deep because we are poor at the back?

In saying that maybe it would work if it allowed us to play 2 forwards and get width from Bardsley and Wallace for example? Although it wouldn't be a formation that would suit Forrest
Pick it out Landreau

#4 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

defence and our strongest is midfield so if only stands to reason that we switch to three center backs and six in midfield (including two wing-backs).

But knowing us the wing backs would become full backs, the 5 in defense drop deep, meaning the midfield has to drop deeper, leaving Miller more and more isolated.

We need a change of attitude not a change of formation IMO and although Wigan have had some success, its debatable whether we would see similar results
Pick it out Landreau

#5 McToot

McToot
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

But knowing us the wing backs would become full backs, the 5 in defense drop deep, meaning the midfield has to drop deeper, leaving Miller more and more isolated.

We need a change of attitude not a change of formation IMO and although Wigan have had some success, its debatable whether we would see similar results

I've a feeling you're right there and it would turn into a 5-4-1. A bit like gers played at old Trafford a few years back. At the time that's how I thought we'd approach the Czech game.

We played 3 centre halfs v Slovenia in 2005 when we won 3-0.

#6 Return of Yermaw

Return of Yermaw
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:49 AM

Did we not have a 3-5-2 thread fairly recently? In any case you can set your watch to the invariable Jonathon Wilson quote or reference in such tactical threads.

#7 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

When more and more teams play with 1 central striker you want to go to a system which employs 3 centre backs?

Seems a strange idea to me.

If we played our current formation properly it would be hugely effective. Unfortunately we tend to play it as a 4-5-1 rather than a 4-2-3-1.

#8 Davied14

Davied14
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

It would work if we had ball playing centre back who could come forward with the ball to join in the play (one of the reasons Rangers 3 at the back last season worked in Europe was because Papac & Bougherra could do this) but as others have said leaving 3 players to mark 1 creates mismatches in other areas of the field.

We would be better having a deep midfielder sitting in front of the defence preventing them from being exposed (like Dailly vs Holland in 2003 and Hartley vs France in 2007).

#9 brant grebner

brant grebner
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

IMO I thnk fully this would work.

Here's how we should line up

Posted Image

Obviously we can debate over wich players to play in the positions but the way the players are set up and the names of the positions are the most important.

Here's how the tactics would work and how we would score a goal:

Posted Image

If the arrow is yellow we have ball.

Goalie passes to defensive leader who passes to left-wing back who passes to left-footed midfielder who passes to goalscorer (sneaky striker makes a run) goalscorer passes to playmaker who passes to trequartista-back who passes to goalscorer - GOAL

or

Goalie passes to defensive leader who passes to left-wing back who passes to left-footed midfielder who passes to goalscorer (sneaky striker makes a run) goalscorer passes to trequartista-back who passes to playmaker who passes to goalscorer - GOAL

If arrow is red then they hav ball and we all run back to tackle.

If we do this well enough we should score at least 2 more goals a game as long as the players we pick can play the right position and get played in that position.

#10 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Brant you must be shit hot at football manager :wink2:
Pick it out Landreau

#11 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,457 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Gordon

Caldwell...Mulgrew...Berra

Hutton.......................................Wallace

Brown.........Fletcher

Maloney

Fletcher...McFadden

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#12 brant grebner

brant grebner
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Brant you must be shit hot at football manager :wink2:

I am, but this is international football we are talking about so I don't see the relevance.

i'm sure that mr levein has though about playing this way before, but has probably rejected it becuase he dint think it was possible, but I think it is and here's how:

Posted Image

Goalie: Gordon/Bell/McGregor
Trequartista-back: Hutton/Whittiker/Bardsley
Left-wing back: Whittiker/Bardsley/Fox
Left running back - Danny Wilson/ Mulgrew (charles)
Defensive Leader - Grant Hanely/Gary Caldwell/ Kenneth
Right running back: Caulker

Holding midfielder: Darren Fletcher/ Scott Brown
Playmaker: James Morrison/ Dorrans/ Ferguson
Left-footed midfielder: Bannan/Adam/Robson

Sneaky Striker: McFadden/Iwelumo/Mackie/Forrest/Naismith
Goalscorer: Boyd

#13 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Iwelumo? he has to be the sneakiest Scotland goalscorer ever!!! :-))
Signatures are gay

#14 brant grebner

brant grebner
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Iwelumo? he has to be the sneakiest Scotland goalscorer ever!!! :-))

I don't get the hate for Iwelumo that Scotland fans always come out with.

Yes he missed an open goal, but there were 50,000 Scotland fans at that game and he was the only one to get himself in to the position of being able to miss an open goal.

Perhaps other Scotland fans should take a look at themselves and think again like Braveheart did when he saw the spider.

I've learned so much tactics from reading this website: http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/4197420.stm

For example:

Football is all about scoring and stopping goals.
But there are many different tactics that can be used in pursuit of these aims - and that's where the manager earns his crust.
It might be better to play more defensively to hold on to a lead.
Or, if the team is losing, a more attacking set-up that allows the players to push further forward may be required. "

Posted Image

Sven explains his thoughts on formations to Mr Hargreaves

I wish I could of been a fly on the wall at that meeting

#15 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,504 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Who said anything about hating him cos he missed "that" sitter?

I hate him cos he's one vowel short of the full set!
Signatures are gay