Wotte Happy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alan

Alan
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

http://www.scottishf...ewsCategoryID=1

Mark Wotte has spoken of his delight after the Scottish Premier League clubs unanimously approved the introduction of an Under-20 League from season 2012/13.....

....The Performance Director, in Italy with Scotland’s Under-16s this week, said: “I am delighted at the decision of the SPL clubs today to approve the introduction of the Under-20 League. This is a fundamental part of the Scottish FA’s Performance Strategy and it will be vital in bridging the gap between the current under-19s and the first-team squads..

I'm voting NO as I believe it's best for me, my family and Scotland. The numbers don't add up. #bestofbothworlds

"We'll give it a go."  Gordon Strachan 15th January 2012. 

#2 MacWalka

MacWalka
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

:wub: :-)) :wink2: :blush: :cheers3: :spin: :rollsmile: :)
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

#3 hannibal smith

hannibal smith
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

:-))

is good news though

Running a Loch Ness Marathon for the Sunshine Appeal  https://mydonate.bt..../alasdairsmith1

www.faircitytartanarmy.com

#4 dipped flake

dipped flake
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Very good news. Gives the younger guys one more year to prove themselves

#5 ibelieve!!!

ibelieve!!!
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

So will this replace the U19's or will they both be run?

Seems a bit pointless having both!
We have a dream..............................

#6 Return of Yermaw

Return of Yermaw
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Many managers seem upset with this. Terry Butcher even said something along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Clearly the last 15 years or so has passed him by or he's a double agent. If Wotte thinks its a good idea, I'm happy to side with him at his point......

#7 Flure

Flure
  • 23,894 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Many managers seem upset with this. Terry Butcher even said something along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

The modern mantra is "If it ain't broke - improve it"!

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#8 jimbers

jimbers
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I still think Under 20 is too low surely it would be better to have an under 23s reserve league whereby you can have up to four over 23s so you can bring players back from injury etc...
add me to bebo http://jimbers.bebo.com &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;im also on Myspace www.myspace.com/jimbers1982<br /><br />

#9 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

I still think Under 20 is too low surely it would be better to have an under 23s reserve league whereby you can have up to four over 23s so you can bring players back from injury etc...

I expect you'll be able to include some over age players with something similar to what you have mentioned there

#10 Diamond Scot

Diamond Scot
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

This was my thoughts on the subject. The difference between u19 and u20 cant be that big. Surely having an u19s and a u23's would make more sense?

#11 A Proud Wee Bonnie Lass

A Proud Wee Bonnie Lass
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I thought this was a good idea but after talking to mates who will be affected by this i'm not so sure. They don't want this, they want to be out playing first-team football as early as possible and I can't see how a 19 year old is really benefiting from playing youth football.

In Scotland there are only a handful of teams who actually have decent youth systems and it's not enough to proivide these players with the competition they need to progress. If you're not starting to make it at 19 when are you? Sure it helps the odd one or two late developers but is that enough of a reason to change the whole setup?

As I say i was originally all for it but now i'm just not sure now - I feel like i'm playing devil's advocate.
If you don't want to see Scots represent England at the Olympics, why are you happy to see English represent Scotland all year round.