Photo

Roy Hodgson In Talks With England

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#46 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hodgson I think could be a good appointment for England, but not a great appointment.

Looking on Twitter, his time at Liverpool keeps getting mentioned alot and there are a lot of high profile names out there not happy about him being linked with the job.

Part of me feels this is the FA taking the safer and cheaper option ('Arry would be to in your face for the FA to handle).
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#47 GhostZapper

GhostZapper
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

i think Hodgson is a good appointment - he took Switzerland to 3rd in the World Rankings, has big tournament experience, and is a decent guy!

I think its ridiculously unfair that the various supporters groups are condeming the appointment before he;s even got the job. GIve the guy a bloody chance!

#48 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I don't get involved with any of the England supporters groups because being blunt I'm not that interested, but at club level there seems to have been a warm reception for this (should it go ahead). For me he's got the pedigree, & won't bring the baggage that 'arry would have done.

#49 DonnyTJS

DonnyTJS
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm curious to know why you think Venables and Robson were risky choices yet Hodgson is a safe choice?

I wouldn't say either of them were particularly successful England managers either.

Both took the team to semi-final penalty shoot-outs. Only one England manager has done more.

"Agencies are attempting to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself." Glenn Greenwald.

#50 Nobby

Nobby
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Both took the team to semi-final penalty shoot-outs. Only one England manager has done more.

Who was that and when was it ?
"It's a racing certainty just call me Nobby two stars" (I refer of course to Brazil 2014)

#51 CTV

CTV
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

He is a decent guy but tactically is he past his sell-by date? I also doubt that the big names/egos in the England dressing room will have much time for him. He sank without trace on that front with Liverpool (home defeat to Northampton, anyone?) He always struck me as someone to get another 30 percent out of struggling or average teams, rather than someone to run a team that expects success and actually start delivering when they are expected to win.

As for the media, he said this about Inter Milan:-

"There were autopsies after every game," he said. "They went through judicial processes all week, tearing apart every single aspect of the game and every single aspect of the performance - something I had been spared all of my life and I wouldn't mind being spared from it for the rest of my life, if I'm truthful."

If he didn't enjoy that, he is going to have problems with the England experience.

Edited by CTV, 30 April 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#52 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 12,457 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

True, that would certainly be considered a major success for most countries, but England?

Robson was slaughtered in the press for virtually his entire tenure:-
Euro 84 - Failed to qualify
Mexico 86 - Scraped through their group with one decent performance.
Euro 88 - Lost every game
Italia 90 - Fluked 2 wins against Belgium & Cameroon to reach the semis

Venables played all his competitive games at Wembley, and apart from a great game against the Dutch was very fortunate to get as far as the semis.

#53 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Snigger...
Signatures are gay

#54 Orraloon

Orraloon
  • 8,890 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I don't think it matters much who they appoint as manager. They are pretty shyte and even a lot of folk in the media are starting to realise it. This close to a tournament the media have usually decided that England have already won it, and they only thing worth discussing is who will they play in the final. Not this time. They are already looking for excuses and it looks like excuse number 1 is going to the ineptitude of the FA in appointing Roy Hodgson. The "golden generation" are pretty much past it and lets face it they were never very "golden" in the first place.

They will still cling to the hope that wonder boy Rooney can prove to everybody that he is the best player in the world and after resting for the first 2 games he will win the tournament single-handedly in true Roy of the Rovers fashion. They all know deep down though, that his scoring record in major tournaments isn't much better than Tom Boyds.

#55 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think its ridiculously unfair that the various supporters groups are condeming the appointment before he;s even got the job. GIve the guy a bloody chance!

Apart from Fulham and Switzerland, the guy has been a failure wherever he has been (even then, I do not remember his Swiss side playing attractive football.... I remember we drew 1-1 with them in a terriable game at Aberdeen, and at the finals apart from a game against Romania, the Swiss were very boring to watch... drew with the Yanks, and think they got beat by Columbia(?))

Inter in the mid 90's were nowhere near the power-houses they are today.... he took over a sleeping giant and had next to no league success, and should have won the UEFA cup, but bottled it on the night and get his tatics wrong in the final.... Blackburn he inhertited a good team that still had most the team that won the league in it, but once he started adding his own touches to the team, he as good as sent Blackburn down (didn't he refuse to resign stating that if Ferguson could do it at United he could do it at Blackburn if given time?).... after this he became a bit of a journeyman untill he ended up at Fulham.

So you can understand why elements at the English media do not like him.
If you still use tippex

#56 naked fitba

naked fitba
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I really rate and like the guy and maybe now I will want him to struggle.

would he really take that job?

afew times when we have changed manager I would have taken Roy Hodgson in a heartbeat
peely wally.because I'm worth it.

#57 stevenmcn

stevenmcn
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Apart from Fulham and Switzerland, the guy has been a failure wherever he has been (even then, I do not remember his Swiss side playing attractive football.... I remember we drew 1-1 with them in a terriable game at Aberdeen, and at the finals apart from a game against Romania, the Swiss were very boring to watch... drew with the Yanks, and think they got beat by Columbia(?))

Inter in the mid 90's were nowhere near the power-houses they are today.... he took over a sleeping giant and had next to no league success, and should have won the UEFA cup, but bottled it on the night and get his tatics wrong in the final.... Blackburn he inhertited a good team that still had most the team that won the league in it, but once he started adding his own touches to the team, he as good as sent Blackburn down (didn't he refuse to resign stating that if Ferguson could do it at United he could do it at Blackburn if given time?).... after this he became a bit of a journeyman untill he ended up at Fulham.

So you can understand why elements at the English media do not like him.

Might not be the greatest manager, but certainly has more experience than Redknapp. I can't really understand all the clamor to give him the job.

#58 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Might not be the greatest manager, but certainly has more experience than Redknapp. I can't really understand all the clamor to give him the job.

Speaking to an English mate, he doesn't like Rednapp, but wants him in as he would put a few players in their rightful place, as just now England need a manager who will rule with an iron thist, and not someone who will let the players away with murder and walk all over him.
If you still use tippex

#59 stevenmcn

stevenmcn
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Speaking to an English mate, he doesn't like Rednapp, but wants him in as he would put a few players in their rightful place, as just now England need a manager who will rule with an iron thist, and not someone who will let the players away with murder and walk all over him.

This would be the same Redknapp who has had Bale playing all over the place recently before realizing he is actually better on the left. I also don't think Redknapp would be able to cope with not having a transfer window to strengthen his squad.

#60 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

This would be the same Redknapp who has had Bale playing all over the place recently before realizing he is actually better on the left. I also don't think Redknapp would be able to cope with not having a transfer window to strengthen his squad.

TBH looking at the 3 main contenders for the England job, Hodgson, Redknapp and Pearce, you could find a list as long as your arm for all 3 saying why they should not get the job.... for a long time now England have been spoiled for choice when it came to picking a manager, and now they have reached a stage when there is no out-and-out contender, and no matter who they pick, you are going to upset a large %-age of the fans.
If you still use tippex