Photo

Mackail Smith

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Doric

Doric
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Any one know how many goals has he scored this season? I am concerned about our lack of quality strikers at the moment and Levein seems to see him as our best bet behind Kenny Miller who is also struggling to get the goals.
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#2 northernscum

northernscum
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

CMS is not good enough to play international football, his wee purple patch for Brighton is long gone.
Levein should be looking elsewhere for the man to lead the line in the WCq's.
Snodgrass, Rhodes with Miller

"There are no prisoners of war, only traitors"

Independence day 24/03/2016

#3 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I do not think Levein has ever hinted that CMS will be his top striker.

Kenny Miller when it comes to the games that matter is his number 1, with CMS getting 20 minutes here and there/starts when Miller is injured/starts in friendlies.

Pretty sure come September we will start seeing Rhodes overtake CMS as the number two striker with an aim for him to take over from Miller after 2014.

Edited by wanderer, 07 May 2012 - 08:43 AM.

If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#4 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

CMS is no worse than Miller. Neither would be near the team if we had any half decent options.

I just wish S Fletcher was available.

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#5 northernscum

northernscum
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

CMS is no worse than Miller. Neither would be near the team if we had any half decent options.

Absolute nonsense, CMS had a short spell of good form for his club a few months back. Now he has found his natural level again. He would kill for Kenny Millers club & country record.

"There are no prisoners of war, only traitors"

Independence day 24/03/2016

#6 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

CMS is not good enough to play international football, his wee purple patch for Brighton is long gone.

Indeed.

I just wish S Fletcher was available.

He is :whistling:

#7 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Levein should be looking elsewhere for the man to lead the line in the WCq's.
Snodgrass, Rhodes with Miller

He should be looking at Johnny Russell,he could easily play the Miller role up front alone.As for Rhodes I have questioned before in here,if he could do the same.He plays with another striker up for Huddy.I also think McCormack deserves a chance,even to come on from the bench.If we are a goal down,and he changes the system to a more attacking style.

#8 GhostZapper

GhostZapper
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Jamie Mackie has looked lively for QPR recently - wouldnt be surprised if he was in.

Kris BOyd has started scoring in America as another option, although needs to do a bit more before he gets recalled.

#9 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Jamie Mackie has looked lively for QPR recently - wouldnt be surprised if he was in.

Kris BOyd has started scoring in America as another option, although needs to do a bit more before he gets recalled.

Mackie plays as a winger for QPR.He is a strong lad,how ever he is nowhere near as strong as Russell.The ball would stick more with Russell.Who for me will find a EPL move next year easily.And Kris Boyd is probably still our best natural finisher,and penalty box predator outside Steven Fletcher.How ever he needs to play up front with another striker to get the best out off him.And it looks like Levein simply does not want to change his system any time soon.As and I believe rightly so,we have our best players in midfield.Even against Macedonia I can see us keeping the 4 5 1.We need to work on our counter attacks using it though.The way Walter Smith used it,and play guys with pace that can exploit it and make it work.Big Eck beat them with 4 4 2 IN Glasgow though,just a thought.Even if we did scrap that one 2 1.

#10 Dougal_McK

Dougal_McK
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Any one know how many goals has he scored this season? I am concerned about our lack of quality strikers at the moment and Levein seems to see him as our best bet behind Kenny Miller who is also struggling to get the goals.

Club Goals this season all competitions;

Craig Mackail-Smith
Goals - 10
Starts - 44
Sub - 6

Kenny Miller
Goals - 11
Starts - 46
Sub - 3

Jordan Rhodes
Goals - 38
Starts - 37
Sub - 4

David Goodwillie (includes games played for Dundee Utd)
Goals - 5
Starts - 11
Sub - 14

Ross McCormack
Goals - 19
Starts - 45
Sub - 4

Chris Maguire (includes loan at Portsmouth)
Goals - 5
Starts - 13
Sub - 6

Johnny Russell
Goals - 13
Starts - 37
Sub - 5

Gary O'Connor
Goals - 15
Starts - 30
Sub - 7

Steven Fletcher
Goals - 11
Starts - 26
Sub - 7

Be interesting to see who goes to America given Rhodes could be involved in play offs, the Fletcher situation, O'Connor is struggling for fitness and has yet to sort out his off the field problems but it doesn't leave us with many options.
Craig Levein sucking the life out the Scotland Support since 2010

#11 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Absolute nonsense, CMS had a short spell of good form for his club a few months back. Now he has found his natural level again. He would kill for Kenny Millers club & country record.

Not bothered about their records other than the last year or so and there is little difference. At the moment, they are as bad as each other.

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#12 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 18,454 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Just as well we've got Rhodes then!
Signatures are gay

#13 zahana-oni

zahana-oni
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thing is only 2 of them can really play the lone striker role (Miller/CMS)which is why they always included. I think McCornack is better than CMS but would be hopeless as a lone striker, same applies to fletcher, Russell, Rhodes

#14 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thing is only 2 of them can really play the lone striker role (Miller/CMS)which is why they always included. I think McCornack is better than CMS but would be hopeless as a lone striker, same applies to fletcher, Russell, Rhodes

How would Russell be hopeless up front alone?He can and has played there lots off times,even on loan at Raith.He is strong as a ox,and decent in the air and mobile.Exactly everything that Kenny Miller is,and better than he was at his age.As clearly he is superior in the air.Rhodes is a lot weaker,and looks like he could not handle the role.How ever he has the killer predator touch in front of goals.We have no idea how many Russell would get in that league though.As clearly he is too good for it.Even if he does not win a EPL move.I bet you he will have 8 or 9 championship clubs in for him in the summer.

#15 Dougal_McK

Dougal_McK
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I agree about McCormack and think that is the reason he hasn't been included in squads this year. Rhodes has played that role well for the U21's and Huddersfield have regularly played one up front in away games, he still has to develop but think he can play that role in the future but he may well be unavailable for the USA game. I thought Russell did fairly well in the lone striker role first half against Italy for the U21's but I haven't seen enough of him playing that role to make a real judgement.
Craig Levein sucking the life out the Scotland Support since 2010