Mackail Smith

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I agree about McCormack and think that is the reason he hasn't been included in squads this year. Rhodes has played that role well for the U21's and Huddersfield have regularly played one up front in away games, he still has to develop but think he can play that role in the future but he may well be unavailable for the USA game. I thought Russell did fairly well in the lone striker role first half against Italy for the U21's but I haven't seen enough of him playing that role to make a real judgement.

Novak plays up front with Rhodes.And when there is injury,they play Ward up with him.So I have no idea what your talking about.I watch the football league show,and they always play 4 4 2.In fact they are getting slagged for playing to open.The jury is out on Rhodes for me.Still think he is a decent prospect.How ever do not know if he is Man Utd class.As Scholes was meant to have scouted him.I think Newcastle or Norwich or Swansea would be a good move.

#17 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Ward is more of a winger than a striker. Alan Lee is the other normal strike partner although we have a big debate going on now about if we can fit Rhodes, Novak & Kallum Higginbotham into the play-off starting XI.

We have not theoretically played 1 up front; the management would tell you it was 4-3-3 the times we've tried it, but it never looked much like it to me, so Rhodes has on occasions ended up on his own (or at least very isolated). I agree that he struggles in that role, but I guess a team with a better midfield than ours might find a solution to that problem.

I also agree that I don't see him as Man Utd. standard long-term.

#18 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,842 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Ward is more of a winger than a striker. Alan Lee is the other normal strike partner although we have a big debate going on now about if we can fit Rhodes, Novak & Kallum Higginbotham into the play-off starting XI.

We have not theoretically played 1 up front; the management would tell you it was 4-3-3 the times we've tried it, but it never looked much like it to me, so Rhodes has on occasions ended up on his own (or at least very isolated). I agree that he struggles in that role, but I guess a team with a better midfield than ours might find a solution to that problem.

How's Higgingbottom doing?

He's got stacks of ability!

#19 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Scotland under 21 plays 4 3 3 as well.Suppose its 4 5 1 when you do not have the ball.And 4 3 3 when you are going forward?Best way to use the formation in my opinion.

#20 Tartan Tammy 1314

Tartan Tammy 1314
  • Banned
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Shame he is not Scottish,good player from what I saw at Falkirk.Just hope Mark Millar gets his Swansea move in the summer.

#21 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I don't know what happened with him initially. He played a blinder first game but then got dropped under Clark; Grayson loaned him out then to Barnsley but recalled him once they were safe. He's been outstanding the 2 games since he came back, hence the debate about fitting him into a tema with Rhodes & Novak.

I think he will become our main striker if/when Rhodes moves on (although he has been dropping hints he will stay with us if we go up).

As regards Mackail-Smith; I always thought he looked as though he wouldn't stay the course. It's just a shame he stayed it long enough to screw us last season. There was something about him though that I got a feeling he'd get found out at a higher level.

#22 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,842 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I don't know what happened with him initially. He played a blinder first game but then got dropped under Clark; Grayson loaned him out then to Barnsley but recalled him once they were safe. He's been outstanding the 2 games since he came back, hence the debate about fitting him into a tema with Rhodes & Novak.

I think he will become our main striker if/when Rhodes moves on (although he has been dropping hints he will stay with us if we go up).

Interesting. From seeing him at Falkirk (not all that often i'd hasten to add) i wouldn't say he's cut out to be a main striker. He's more of a number 10 than a number 9. He'll drop deep, link up play, create chances for others as well as score his fair share of goals. He formed a good partnership with El Alagui - Huddersfield should sign them both :lol:

#23 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

That's interesting as well...I've only seen him play twice so been hard to judge but I got a feeling that he might do well sat behind Rhodes & Novak so wonder if that's what Grayson might do.

He's also got a cracking shot on him (he seemed determined to score against Yeovil & deserved a goal) & passed the ball around well on Saturday, linking up especially well with Arfield who he's obviously played with before.

#24 McManus4

McManus4
  • 832 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Interesting. From seeing him at Falkirk (not all that often i'd hasten to add) i wouldn't say he's cut out to be a main striker. He's more of a number 10 than a number 9. He'll drop deep, link up play, create chances for others as well as score his fair share of goals. He formed a good partnership with El Alagui - Huddersfield should sign them both :lol:

Certainly played that way against us in the League Cup semi final at Hampden. Gave us a torrid time.