Ivory On Bagpipes

USA Advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sieve

sieve
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

My pipes are over 200 years old and have ivory on all the drones. Can any well travelled pipers provide any tips on taking them into the USA.

I've travelled all round Europe with them no bother but a friend thinks that I could have them confiscated at the border if I don't have an ivory license. I only just got asked to pipe for the Sunshine Appeal presentation so probably don't have time to get a license.

Don't want to risk taking them if I'm gonna lose them so probably just gonna see if I can borrow a set from someone else, would appreciate any advice though.

I realise this is the wrong forum to ask but I need a fast answer so I can make other arrangements.

Cheers,

Callum

#2 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

My pipe-major and I were talking about this a while back.

I think as long as you can prove that they were made before a "so-and-so" date (exact escapes me, but it not all that long ago) or the Ivory was sourced from a licensed dealer, you do not actually need a license, but I am not 100% sure.

Think its best to make sure (try contacting the Scottish pipe-band association)
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#3 WillfaeSwindon

WillfaeSwindon
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Might want to contact the US embassy for clarification as well.
Jobs we should have chosen #1: Oligarch's wife.

London Scottish AFC - More history than the MK Dons!
www.londonscottishfc.com also add us on Facebook!!!

I want to go for a swim!

#4 mariokempes56

mariokempes56
  • 8,389 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm traveling with a drone also..

#5 magee89

magee89
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Might want to contact the US embassy for clarification as well.

This is your best bet.

#6 sieve

sieve
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Cheers for all the tips guys. US embassy says it's fine as long as I have a document stating their age. Gonna get it done through the Piping College in Glasgow. The embassy guy said they'd be more interested in making sure our sporrans are not made of seal fur.

#7 Notma Ainname

Notma Ainname
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sieve,
You'll need to learn the US Border Patrol March and play it as you go through. They're bound to let you in with no hassle. :wink2:

Bagpipe music is here: http://www.cbp.gov/x...w/dyk_march.xml
Just click on the bagpipe music thumbnail.

Seriously, I found a reference to what is allowed for actual import into the US on the CPB website, ivory over 100 years old is allowed. Clearly you'll be OK with your pipes.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. :beer2:
The world may not be shakin' - yet!

#8 Nobby

Nobby
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

My pipes are over 200 years old and have ivory on all the drones. Can any well travelled pipers provide any tips on taking them into the USA.

I've travelled all round Europe with them no bother but a friend thinks that I could have them confiscated at the border if I don't have an ivory license. I only just got asked to pipe for the Sunshine Appeal presentation so probably don't have time to get a license.

Don't want to risk taking them if I'm gonna lose them so probably just gonna see if I can borrow a set from someone else, would appreciate any advice though.

I realise this is the wrong forum to ask but I need a fast answer so I can make other arrangements.

Cheers,

Callum

Alternatively point out that the elephants were communist or copyright infringers (dumbo) and you should be fine
"It's a racing certainty just call me Nobby two stars" (I refer of course to Brazil 2014)

#9 Doric

Doric
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Cheers for all the tips guys. US embassy says it's fine as long as I have a document stating their age. Gonna get it done through the Piping College in Glasgow. The embassy guy said they'd be more interested in making sure our sporrans are not made of seal fur.

When you going to college Sieve? I am there every Friday for veterans club. You are welcome to come and join us. I am secretary and treasurer.We are looking for new members so could you help spread the word please?
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#10 sieve

sieve
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Doric, I work in the Highlands and my mate isn't heading to Glasgow anymore so not gonna have the chance to get them to the college before I leave. I rang Sandford airport customs and spoke to them directly. 'Officer Garcia' assured me that it wouldn't be a problem as I was taking them over for personal use and not to be sold or given as a gift. She was really helpful and says she'll be on duty when I get in so I'm fairly certain I should be ok without the letter from the college.

I'm actually finishing in the Highlands this Friday so when I get back from the US I'll be in Glasgow for 3 months. I badly need to get back into my practice so I may well join you when I'm around, I'll mention to the couple of other pipers I know. However, at what age do you become a 'veteran'?

Notma Ainname, I've downloaded the Border Patrol March but to be honest I've a big enough challenge getting my old tunes up to scratch never mind learning a new one.....

#11 Doric

Doric
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Doric, I work in the Highlands and my mate isn't heading to Glasgow anymore so not gonna have the chance to get them to the college before I leave. I rang Sandford airport customs and spoke to them directly. 'Officer Garcia' assured me that it wouldn't be a problem as I was taking them over for personal use and not to be sold or given as a gift. She was really helpful and says she'll be on duty when I get in so I'm fairly certain I should be ok without the letter from the college.

I'm actually finishing in the Highlands this Friday so when I get back from the US I'll be in Glasgow for 3 months. I badly need to get back into my practice so I may well join you when I'm around, I'll mention to the couple of other pipers I know. However, at what age do you become a 'veteran'?

Notma Ainname, I've downloaded the Border Patrol March but to be honest I've a big enough challenge getting my old tunes up to scratch never mind learning a new one.....

Thats great I look forward to seeing you at the college. We have a dram if it is one of the vets birthday's. Average age is around 88 btw.
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?