Photo

Matt Phillips Will Start Usa Friendly

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#151 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

I doubt England are all that bothered about Phillips, especially if at 20 he wants to play for Scotland.

England probably have too much self respect to go poaching other countries youth players, so I expect they'd be pissed off.

#152 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

England probably have too much self respect to go poaching other countries youth players, so I expect they'd be pissed off.

Phillips isn't committed to England, same way McGeady isn't to Scotland, that's why they shouldn't care
Pick it out Landreau

#153 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Phillips isn't committed to England, same way McGeady isn't to Scotland, that's why they shouldn't care

Of course they should care. We're stealing their players!

#154 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

Of course they should care. We're stealing their players!

If a player is committed to England then we wouldn't be able to 'steal' them
Pick it out Landreau

#155 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

If a player is committed to England then we wouldn't be able to 'steal' them

Not every player is a big supporter, it's not the same for them.

Going around courting another countries players is both embarrassing and wrong.

#156 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

My point is that the English FA shouldn't care about a player who at the first opportunity jumps at the chance to play for another country.

I've not claimed otherwise
Pick it out Landreau

#157 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Couldn't the TAMB mods just have a template "He's Scottish - No He's No, He's English" thread that they repost every time Levein picks someone that wasn't born, raised and schooled in a Sutherland but 'n' ben, never travelled further south than Perth, fed on nothing except square sausage and Irn Bru and knows the words to all 263 verses of Flower of Scotland?

Would save everyone a lot of time and effort.

I'm beginning to wonder if Levein calls these guys up just to see how many pages of furious keyboard bashing it'll generate on here.

#158 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Just missed two good chances against West Ham.

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#159 Kirk

Kirk
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

And unnecessary
Alba gu Brath

#160 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just missed two good chances against West Ham.

Fantastic ball for their goal though :ok:

#161 Parklife

Parklife
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Couldn't the TAMB mods just have a template "He's Scottish - No He's No, He's English" thread that they repost every time Levein picks someone that wasn't born, raised and schooled in a Sutherland but 'n' ben, never travelled further south than Perth, fed on nothing except square sausage and Irn Bru and knows the words to all 263 verses of Flower of Scotland?

My conclusion is that you can't read.

#162 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Off topic of Matt Phillips - he seems to have came through the Play-Offs without an injury so will more than likely start the match... Any other opinions on our potential line-up? Craig Gordon to get some minutes maybe?? Charlie Mulgrew slotting in somewhere? Goodwillie?!!

#163 wembley67lisbon

wembley67lisbon
  • 10,306 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

He's English eligible for Scotland because of a single grandfather and he's a product of the English youth system if you think what Craig Levein has done is right you need help. We'll agree to disagree. As previously stated picking other countries players is frankly embarassing the SFA should sort themselves out instead of relying on another countries development systems.

:ok:

#164 irnbruman

irnbruman
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Quote from the Blackpool Gazette tonight - "Phillips was frustrated at not being called into Stuart Pearce's England Under 21 squad and decided to accept an invitation tp play for Scotland".

#165 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Quote from the Blackpool Gazette tonight - "Phillips was frustrated at not being called into Stuart Pearce's England Under 21 squad and decided to accept an invitation tp play for Scotland".

I thought he did get called up and had played already for them? Hence all the chatter on here, photos etc...