Best Season Following Your Club....

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 GaryTA

GaryTA
  • Banned
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

In terms of results and as Gaz said, "walking out the ground with a smile on your face" then this season has to be up there.

Killie 1 (Pascali) Rangers 0 - Beating them at RP, after they won the league there on the previous visit was class. It also ended their away run undefeated
Killie 1 Ayr 0 - 25,000+ for an Ayrshire Derby and the good guys won. Brian Reid spoiled the day as a spectacle but we got there in the end.

Rangers 0 Killie 1 (Shiels) Admin Saturday, 50,000 rammed into Ibrox for last night of the Proms, only for Killie to turn up, play them off the park and them to start "walking away" at 80mins.

But last but not least

Killie 1 Celtic 0 - After seeing up pumped twice in recent years in the League Cup Final, we finally turned up and thought we played as well as i've seen against one of the ugly sisters in a Final in recent years. What a day, weekend and the best monday club I will ever likely to attend. Pub was bouncing and I finally made it back into work on the Wednesday!

We also won at Tynecastle again (its getting boring) with Dean Shiels scoring the winner to get it right up the natives. The Motherwell game the weekend after we won the cup was class too, with Pasca on pitch with the cup and the well fans showing class that Killie fans will always remember.

Have a good mate who's a Killie fan... Sick of seeing his gloating face when they beat us.

I went mad when that header went in against Celtic. Brilliant.

#17 Squirrelhumper

Squirrelhumper
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Have a good mate who's a Killie fan... Sick of seeing his gloating face when they beat us.

I went mad when that header went in against Celtic. Brilliant.

Bet you never went as mad as I did!

As for winning at Tynecastle, we had a terrible record there for years but think we've won there 5 times in recent seasons.

#18 Doric

Doric
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ps Hearts 8-7 Dons in regards to Scottish cups.
3 of them before Dons were formed so disnae count LOL 7-5 to Dons

Any one know the European trophy score ?
How can we call our selfs patriotic when the majority of Scots want to be ruled by another country?

#19 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I give you 1983 as a Dons fan.

Was it in colour or black & white? :d

For me, probably as recently as 2005-2006 when for the first half of the season I saw Hearts play the best football I have ever witnessed them play wiping everyone in their path helped by one Rudolf Skacel with 8 straight league victories to start the campaign, that was until the end of October when Vlad went McMad and sacked Burley and apppointed Rix, then Ivanauskas, although it didn't really matter as it was Vlad picking the team.

Still, we held it together to finish above Rangers and scamble over the line in the Scottish Cup, and Scotland won the Kirin Cup of course.

A rollercoaster season.
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#20 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Although not entirely successful, 1980-1 will always live in my memory. I got to almost every game home & away through the season. We travelled the land in our mobile brewery minivan, always set off at the crack of dawn (except Plymouth when we set off the night before as soon as the pub shut) even for a trip up the road. Hit the offy as soon as it was open & that was the day sorted.

The joy of being 16, with a gang of lads, when football grounds were proper grounds in derelict parts of towns & every motorway service station had a sign banning football coaches. No replica shirts just a scarf wrapped round your wrist & never knowing what might kick off. I remember 3 or 4000 Town fans on a Tuesday night that year going ballistic when Steve Kindon scored in the first minute away at Burnley (his previous club) & ran from corner to corner flicking two fingers at their supporters behind the goal...10 match ban these days, folk hero back then. For the record we still lost 4-2!

Then there was the home match against Barnsley with nearly 30,000 crammed in for a third division match & the 2-1 away win at top of the league Charlton (20 unbeaten at home or something that year), coming back from 1-0 down & 8 minutes added time that seemed to last 80 & included God knows how many point blank saves from Andy Rankin.

So much different from the ever more sanitised experiences of today, & I'd love to be able to relive it & let my son feel what it was like.

I doubt anybody will still be reading by now but it meant a lot to me :d

Edited by Huddersfield, 21 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#21 Tartan Tarantula

Tartan Tarantula
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

Dont think many can top the 2011/2012 season Ive had!

BVB win the championship and German cup (first time in history), and York City win the FA Trophy, and win promotion back into the football league after 8 very long years. First team ever (I believe) to win a cup competition and achieve promotion. Now theres a quiz question if ever I saw one.

2 teams, 4 trophies. No bad.
HEJA BVB!!!

#22 sbcmfc

sbcmfc
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Funnily enough, as a Motherwell fan, this season has to be right up there too. I've been to more away games than any season I can remember, finishing 3rd, challenging Celtic for 2nd place into November and qualifying for the champions league has been fantastic! There has been a really great atmosphere at a lot of the games too, particularly away from home. Losing my dad who I went to the games with during the season tempered my enjoyment of it somewhat though.

(rangers in turmoil, Motherwell, hearts and killie have best season in 20 years, coincidence??)

2001-02 we had some unbelievable performances, if I remember correctly we beat the entire top 6, and none of the bottom 6 until we thumped livvy on the last day.

But probably 94-95 was the best, I was older than in 1991, so appreciated it a bit more. We had a great team, that played great football, and finished 2nd in the SPL, I think only hearts have done so since. I honestly forgot what it was like to see the away end at fir park cheer a goal!!

(Celtic in turmoil......)
I want to do a poo at Paul's!!

#23 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

BVB win the championship and German cup (first time in history), and York City win the FA Trophy, and win promotion back into the football league after 8 very long years. First team ever (I believe) to win a cup competition and achieve promotion. Now theres a quiz question if ever I saw one.

Whiich part of Scotland do these two come from???

Well done York City, Luton lose another play-off ^_^
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#24 Tartan Tarantula

Tartan Tarantula
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

The well hidden parts :cheers3:
HEJA BVB!!!

#25 Kirk

Kirk
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

In terms of results and as Gaz said, "walking out the ground with a smile on your face" then this season has to be up there.

Killie 1 (Pascali) Rangers 0 - Beating them at RP, after they won the league there on the previous visit was class. It also ended their away run undefeated
Killie 1 Ayr 0 - 25,000+ for an Ayrshire Derby and the good guys won. Brian Reid spoiled the day as a spectacle but we got there in the end.

Rangers 0 Killie 1 (Shiels) Admin Saturday, 50,000 rammed into Ibrox for last night of the Proms, only for Killie to turn up, play them off the park and them to start "walking away" at 80mins.

But last but not least

Killie 1 Celtic 0 - After seeing up pumped twice in recent years in the League Cup Final, we finally turned up and thought we played as well as i've seen against one of the ugly sisters in a Final in recent years. What a day, weekend and the best monday club I will ever likely to attend. Pub was bouncing and I finally made it back into work on the Wednesday!

We also won at Tynecastle again (its getting boring) with Dean Shiels scoring the winner to get it right up the natives. The Motherwell game the weekend after we won the cup was class too, with Pasca on pitch with the cup and the well fans showing class that Killie fans will always remember.

Cheers saved me some time :)

its been a good one.
Alba gu Brath

#26 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Morton, season 1995 / 96, 1st division finishing 3rd

Started going to games the season before when 'we' got promoted to the 1st division. Never missed a game 95/96 home or away with my grandad, was an absolutely amazing time, some great performances ending with a 2 - 2 at home on the final day of the season to Dundee Utd who went onto the play off on goal difference. Best moment was beating St Mirren 1 - 0 at Love Street on a Tuesday night, can still see Peter McCormack scoring a left foot screamer :lol:

Shame I fell away from Morton about 3 seasons after that, but is still my 2nd best year of football (euro 08 tops it)
Pick it out Landreau

#27 scottcross

scottcross
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

I think Colchester did the double in 92 ,could be wrong though.

#28 Jonathan

Jonathan
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

I think Colchester did the double in 92 ,could be wrong though.

Are we allowed Scottish teams? Rovers won the League Cup and First Division in the same season.

Christian Dailly has a massive cl0ck, and i have seen it!!!!

http://www.thesportingfife.com

#29 Huddersfield

Huddersfield
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'm pretty sure Huddersfield won the West Riding Cup one of the years we got promoted.

#30 hannibal smith

hannibal smith
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

And why?

Mine was this season.

Okay so a lot of it was really bad. We got gubbed by Celtic twice, finished an average 5th and there was turmoil off of the pitch.

But...

I have never left the ground with a bigger smile on my face on so many occasions.

Victory at Ibrox.
Beating Hibs 4 times in one season, including Easter Road.
Beating Celtic and Hibs (my 2 most hated clubs) at Hampden in incredible circumstances on the route to a Scottish cup.

Amazing.

Thank you Hearts.

i think scottish cup aside this has been a pretty average season for hearts, yes we beat hibs 4 times but they are especially poor this season and we won at ibrox, but so did a lot of team

in terms of excitement it would be hard to top 2006 with all the class players that came in from european championship and european cup winners to actually looking like we could challenge for the title, we gave a good Hibs team some absolute doings that season and of course Mad Vlad meddling in things when it was going too smoothly.
the games at Rugby Park and Tannadice and the first edinburgh derby right at the start of that season were the most exciting football i think i have seen hearts play

Running a Loch Ness Marathon for the Sunshine Appeal  https://mydonate.bt..../alasdairsmith1

www.faircitytartanarmy.com