Racist Euro's, Panorama Tonight

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18233736

Sol Campbell has told the BBC's Panorama that Euro 2012 should not have been awarded to Poland and Ukraine, due to the racist and violent attitudes of some supporters.

The former England captain advised fans to "stay home, watch it on TV... don't even risk it."

UEFA, European football's governing body, have defended their decision, and said awarding the tournament to the two nations was an opportunity to improve their image and tackle social challenges.

Chris Rogers attended one match in Ukraine where he saw Asian men being kicked and punched, despite supporting the home team.

Panorama: Euro 2012 - Stadiums of Hate is broadcast on BBC One, Monday, 28 May at 20:30 BST and then available online via iPlayer (UK only) at the above link.

#2 Rossy

Rossy
  • 11,769 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sol's right.

Countries who have what amounts to institutionalised racist and homophobic cultures shouldn't be rewarded with major tournaments.

UEFA and FIFA don't give a sh*t about that though. They just see the dollar signs.
Please don't argue back about this as I am 100% correct.

#3 Charlie Endell

Charlie Endell
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Without wishing to sound, er, racist, Eastern Europe is a pretty brutal place - understandable to an extent given what people there have endured over the centuries.

On racism, someone recently pointed out that they're probably where Western Europe was thirty / forty years ago in terms of attitudes. I'm not sure shutting them out (by not allowing tournaments to be held there) will help move things forward; it was the introduction of black players in noticeable numbers that helped to shift attitudes elsewhere (not that it should take that for people to open their minds).

As repellent as it may be, some good may come of getting this out into the open.

Edited by Charlie Endell, 28 May 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play.

#4 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Didn't England host the World Cup in 1966? (Geoff Hurst, Russian linesman and all that)

I've heard 60's England had problems with racism etc. Remember Mr Powell and his infamous speech? It's still a problem if London Riots, Lawerence enquiry etc are anything to go by. Plus a well known England player 'cough' Terry is up on racism charges.

I know parts of Eastern europe have major problems but Engerlund ain't exactly the land of milk and honey is it?

Didn't an asian chap get shot dead in Manchester a few months back for being asian? It's the human race thats the problem not certain countries. We have to work together to combat it.

Some of the nicest people I've met (and slept with) have been Polish. :)

I hear Ukraine is a very different country though...

#5 AlfieMoon

AlfieMoon
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Didn't England host the World Cup in 1966? (Geoff Hurst, Russian linesman and all that)

I've heard 60's England had problems with racism etc. Remember Mr Powell and his infamous speech? It's still a problem if London Riots, Lawerence enquiry etc are anything to go by. Plus a well known England player 'cough' Terry is up on racism charges.

I know parts of Eastern europe have major problems but Engerlund ain't exactly the land of milk and honey is it?

Didn't an asian chap get shot dead in Manchester a few months back for being asian? It's the human race thats the problem not certain countries. We have to work together to combat it.

Some of the nicest people I've met (and slept with) have been Polish. :)

I hear Ukraine is a very different country though...

Why are you rambling on about England?

#6 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Because its the BBC aka England. Sol Campell saying these countries shouldn't be able to host it isn't fair. Thats the point I'm trying to make. Sorry if I rambled a bit. Blame the SNP! :)

#7 DonnyTJS

DonnyTJS
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Because its the BBC aka England. Sol Campell saying these countries shouldn't be able to host it isn't fair. Thats the point I'm trying to make. Sorry if I rambled a bit. Blame the SNP! :)

Why should the SNP take the rap for you spouting ignorant, simplistic píss?

Every country on earth has a racist element within its population. England, like Scotland, has made huge inroads into eradicating the culture of the 1960s and '70s. I marched against the NF in the '70s and lived for five years in Eastern Europe in the '90s. It's a major problem there and the campaigns to kick it out of football are getting nowhere. Your post was one of the most pathetic I've read on this board.

"Agencies are attempting to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself." Glenn Greenwald.

#8 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thats a bit harsh but considered me slapped!

My view is that the english media has been very critical of Russia getting the 2018 World Cup and Poland/ Ukraine the 2012 Euro's and has been painting a picture that isn't fair on the millions of honest, nice people that live in these countries.

Fair enough?

#9 Rossy

Rossy
  • 11,769 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hmmm.

I trust Amnesty International more than your impression of countries because you (allegedly) got yer hole there once.

http://www.amnesty.o...ine/report-2011

Poland's report isn't quite as damning, but it's hardly a bastion of open minded tolerance towards anyone they perceive as 'different'.

I'm not sure why or how you can bring England in 1966 into this.
Please don't argue back about this as I am 100% correct.

#10 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I did have a point but god knows where it went!

Will watch the programme.

I'm hoping for a peaceful month of quality fitba.

World Cup 2010 was ruined by those sodding horns!

#11 swifty's cakes

swifty's cakes
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Isn't John Terry a racist though (allegedly)?

England are on shoogily moral ground here.

#12 Parklife

Parklife
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

What an awful programme.

#13 JasMc1973

JasMc1973
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Celtic cross symbol of racism, did I hear that right?

#14 Charlie Endell

Charlie Endell
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Celtic cross symbol of racism, did I hear that right?

Aye. Well, it's not, but it's been adopted by the far right.

Edited by Charlie Endell, 28 May 2012 - 07:55 PM.

Here is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play.

#15 jimstroma

jimstroma
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Just watched it, canny believe the stewards stood back and let them batter the Asians.