Messi. Better Than Ronaldo.

Fact

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Dillinger

Dillinger
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

I worry that there's going to be a touch of the Michael Owen about him, that in four or five years his body will break down. Can't be good for your leg muscles to move with that explosive pace you can see for the three goals. Hope to feck I'm wrong, but its frightening how fast he is.
"But I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land, cap in hand"

#17 aaid

aaid
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

This "he has to win the world cup" attitude is a lot of pish. Iainmacs spot on.

There are two players in world Football history that stand above all others, Pele and Maradona.

You can argue the toss over which of the two were better, my view would be Maradona but that may be tempered as Pele was not really my era.

Pele won three world cups and was the inspirational player in a great team.

Maradona virtually won the World Cup for Argentina single handed in 1986. That's not to say that the rest of the Argentinian team were sunday league players but without Maradona they would have been quarter finalists at best.

1986 was the last time the World Cup was about a single player, this picture sums it up and I think the second goal he scored in this game was better than the one against England.

Watch the video as well to get a sense of what I mean about him single handedly winning the World Cup.

Posted Image

He did the same thing at Napoli, taking an unfashionable provincial club to the Serie A title.

I would agree that Messi is the best player currently playing but he is in that second tier of greats that includes players like Platini, Cruyff, Zidane, Best, Beckenbauer, Puskas, Di Stefano and guys of that ilk.

His to date stands comparison with Di Stefano in the 50s and 60s at Real Madrid where he was the main player in the side that was dominant in World Football at that time.

If Argentina win the World Cup in Brazil and Messi is player of the tournament then he can start to be compared with Maradona.
The owls are not what they seem

#18 GHfaeGTA

GHfaeGTA
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Aaid who is second best Argentinian of all time if it is neither Maradona nor Messi? I am struggling to think of another one anywhere near their level

#19 Dillinger

Dillinger
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Why compare what Messi and Maradona have achieved with Argentina but not Barcelona? Over four years at Barca, Maradona didn't win nearly as much as messi.

#20 silverbear

silverbear
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

I prefer Ronaldo.

Which one?

Messi is by far the best player I've ever seen - Cruyff, Maradona, Eusebio, Pele....
There was a documentary about him on TV repeated again recently.
If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so.
I can't think of enough superlatives to say about him. He's just .. something special!

There was some fantastic footage of him playing when he was only a few years old!!
Even then he was better than Edu. :d
http://www.metacafe....les_and_skills/
"If they played on the street then we would support from the pavement"

#21 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Aaid who is second best Argentinian of all time if it is neither Maradona nor Messi? I am struggling to think of another one anywhere near their level

Cannigia! :lol:
Signatures are gay

#22 aaid

aaid
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Di Stefano

Why compare what Messi and Maradona have achieved with Argentina but not Barcelona? Over four years at Barca, Maradona didn't win nearly as much as messi.

The Barcelona team that Messi plays in is a lot better than the one which Maradona played in.

For me, Messi to date makes a good team even better but hasn't done enough to stamp his mark on an average team. Which in his case would be the Argentina national team.
The owls are not what they seem

#23 fringo

fringo
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Messi still hasn't scored against Chelsea so he can't be that great.
"They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now."

#24 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,848 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I don't think you can compare Messi and Maradona. Different era's. Both were and are a class above their peers. What Maradona did with Argentina and Napoli will never be matched I don't think it's possible in the modern game for 1 player to improve an average team like he did, teams are too organised, fit and rich now for that to happen.
Pick it out Landreau

#25 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Great goals. His third was a peach.

#26 Flure

Flure
  • 24,267 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just watched his third goal and I thought "Very Kenny Miller"!

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#27 Dillinger

Dillinger
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Di Stefano

The Barcelona team that Messi plays in is a lot better than the one which Maradona played in.

For me, Messi to date makes a good team even better but hasn't done enough to stamp his mark on an average team. Which in his case would be the Argentina national team.

The Argentina team Maradona played is better than the current one

#28 Dave in London

Dave in London
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

That is an iconic photo.

I read an interview with the photographer who said that it was actually a wall breaking up after a freekick was passed to Maradona rather than a shot being taken.

It's great though, it pretty much sums up his tournament.

#29 Mox

Mox
  • 898 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

He is the greatest player ever, no doubt about it.

Even when he plays a friendly he still outshines Ronaldo.

#30 stevenmcn

stevenmcn
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

That is an iconic photo.

I read an interview with the photographer who said that it was actually a wall breaking up after a freekick was passed to Maradona rather than a shot being taken.

It's great though, it pretty much sums up his tournament.

Is that photo not from 82 World Cup?