Photo

Why Can't Be Be As Good As The Roi?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 Third Lanark

Third Lanark
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I never used to mind Republic of Ireland but now I want them to lose just like Engerlund. Two reasons;

1. They nicked some of our players.
2. Probably 'cos i'm jealous of their team. For the life of me I cant see how man-for-man they are better than us. Is Given better than Gordon or McG?

Are CB's Dunne and St Ledger really better than Caldwell and Berra/Hanley? They even have a centre back at right back (O'Shea) and in midfield Andrews and Whelan. Would you swap them for Fletcher and Adam? Is Duff better than forrest? McClean may be the new star but is Snodgrass or Phillips really that much poorer?

Only Robbie Keane would get in our team IMO. Maybe we could do with Doyle, but all in all I just cannot see how they do so much better than us; look at the results in their warm-ups - no chance of USA type results for them.

The ONLY explanation must lie in their manager. but that's another topic I suppose.

#2 PASTA Mick

PASTA Mick
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Robbie Keane is the big difference. He scores I lot at this level and Kenny Miller doesn't.

When we played them last year, it was Given and Keane that won them it while their opposites, McGregor and Miller, cost us.

PASTA (Preston and Surroundings Tartan Army)
www.yesscotland.net

#3 wembley67lisbon

wembley67lisbon
  • 10,330 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Dunne, mcgeady, keane, mclean would get in our team.

One readon they are better.

Manager

#4 Crockett82

Crockett82
  • 2,351 posts

Two words, Robbie Keane. 53 goals and counting.

They are like us under Brown but with a world class goal scorer. Scotland have struggled for goals for a couple of decades.

#5 The Laud

The Laud
  • 1,274 posts

I think your last sentence answers your question.

#6 Donaldo87

Donaldo87
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

They play to their strengths as well. They have two great wingers and Robbins Keane plays better with a partner up front. So what do they do? They play two wingers and have a partner for Keane.

#7 ProudScot

ProudScot
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

The most obvious reason that they are better is that they have an entirely different mentality, which is due to their vastly superioir management. They ALWAYS play 2 up front, and their team for today is no different, they play counter attacking football whereas we play stuffy stifling football that doesnt work and hasn't for 10 years but we still won't change it.

Robbie Keane is a factor but we would also have strikers on many more international goals if we played 2 upfront and actually had a go...

#8 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

It's mainly because they don't have a lunatic as manager. They're not that much better than us. Dunne's a total bombscare, pretty much like Caldwell.
Signatures are gay

#9 big_matt

big_matt
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Dunne, mcgeady, keane, mclean would get in our team.

One reason they are better.

Manager

Yep. Those players would definately get in our team.

And the reason Keane is so effective and scores so much is because:
(1) he is a very good player
(2) they have a good manager who sets up the team in a way that allows him to be successful. Keane in our current system under Levein would not score many goals imo. In fact, he wouldn't even get many touches of the ball.

I also agree with the point above about identity. They are a counter attacking team. ie they are happy to defend for longs spells to create counter attacking opportunities. We just defend for the whole game and even when an opportunity is there we don't want to push forward. They play for a 2-0 win (with the two goals coming on fast breaks) but we play for a 0-0. Different mentality (even though both teams spend a lot of time defending).

This does seem to be the question that the Levein defenders can't seem to answer. We keep hearing that our players aren't good enough but other teams with similar players have much more success. Ireland is one of them.

Edited by big_matt, 10 June 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#10 Bzzzz

Bzzzz
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yep. Those players would definately get in our team.

And the reason Keane is so effective and scores so much is because:
(1) he is a very good player
(2) they have a good manager who sets up the team in a way that allows him to be successful. Keane in our current system under Levein would not score many goals imo. In fact, he wouldn't even get many touches of the ball.

I also agree with the point above about identity. They are a counter attacking team. ie they are happy to defend for longs spells to create counter attacking opportunities. We just defend for the whole game and even when an opportunity is there we don't want to push forward. They play for a 2-0 win (with the two goals coming on fast breaks) but we play for a 0-0. Different mentality (even though both teams spend a lot of time defending).

This does seem to be the question that the Levein defenders can't seem to answer. We keep hearing that our players aren't good enough but other teams with similar players have much more success. Ireland is one of them.

Spot on.
Signatures are gay

#11 JECK

JECK
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

They wouldnt have qualified without Robbie Keane

#12 Jaggy Jim

Jaggy Jim
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Just back from a couple of days in Dublin. Very jealous seeing all the flags and colours on buildings and cars and the anticipation from all the locals. Flew home yesterday and the airport was packed with fans heading out to Poland.

Keane is definitely the difference. Man for man I reckon we're easily their equal otherwise.

#13 Jagtag

Jagtag
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

don't agree with McGeady, I have never seen why he is so highly rated. I think he is a very average player and doesn't create or score enough.

I think we do have the players but we never use them in their best positions and we never get men forward to support our 1 striker. The ROI always seem to play 4-4-2 and it works, we will never be that brave.

#14 vanderark14

vanderark14
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

very simple.

they have a world class striker whilst we play one up front every week and its the same player every time. they also have a manager that isn't completely clueless

It’s little wonder to me that the No campaign wants to sandbag the debate at every turn, because if they become embroiled in an open discussion with the Yes campaign and the people of Scotland, their lies will unravel in an instant, just like they did for me and so many new Yes voters.

#15 jimstroma

jimstroma
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Keane is good but No way is he world class.