- - - - -

What If 'we' Vote No?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#196 John D

John D
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Wonder what , if anything, the half of the Netherlands population who aren't from Holland feel/think about their national team being referred to by lots of the media and their supporters as Holland?

:mellow:  if I said I was joking , would you take me seriously?

#197 Alan

Alan
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

If people were to vote yes then
Lots of crowing and rubbing it in people's faces.
There would still be a European monetary crisis.
Scotland like the UK would still have lots of debt.
Spending on the public sector would still be very large and a pressure on government expenditure.
Any money from oil would need to be used to plug the public funding gap so no oil fund would be available (admited by A Salmond esq).
There would still be a health crisis in Scotland with NHS straining under care for elderly, fat, unfit and those who smoke and drink to excess.
We would still have a ned culture.
We would still have Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, Green and SNP (the party of Scotland) parties.
There would be competing demands from health, education, social services, emergency services, armed forces, infrastructure etc etc on government.
Scotland's footballing culture would still under perform and be under skilled.
Glasgow would still have some of the worst housing and life expectancy in the western world.
Aberdeen would continue to outperform the UK with it's continual oil boom and quality of living.
Politics would still be dominated by those who were social workers, trade unionists or solicitors.
Business, political and legal hierarchies will continue to be dominated by 2 universities (Edinburgh and St Andrews).
Alan Cumming, Bryan Cox and Sean Connery would still live abroad.

I'm voting NO as I believe it's best for me, my family and Scotland. The numbers don't add up. #bestofbothworlds

"We'll give it a go."  Gordon Strachan 15th January 2012. 

#198 peever1745

peever1745
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Alan if we vote yes wouls not all corporate tax and icome tax collected in Scotland not go into the Scottish treasury? Oh and Alan Cumming pays UK tax. Are you happy then living off hand outs from another country?
A difference of opinion does not make one a bigot.

#199 Alibi

Alibi
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Alan if we vote yes wouls not all corporate tax and icome tax collected in Scotland not go into the Scottish treasury? Oh and Alan Cumming pays UK tax. Are you happy then living off hand outs from another country?

We had a discussion in the pub last week about the referendum. Most of the guys I was with are Scottish Italians (all born in Scotland) and to a man they are fiercely pro-independence. We were joined by a father and son who are Rangers supporters and who hold the sort of views that seem to be quite prevalent amongst their ilk - the Salmond is a fat B, we can't survive on our own, oil is a worthless asset and anyway it doesn't belong to us, Rangers would go bust (OK, I added that bit for comic effect...) sort of stuff. The son, who is apparently an economics student, started mouthing off about Scotland being subsidised (which I of course refuted with sound evidence). However it occurred to me that defending our current dependence status is a no-win situation. If we are subsidised, how can you possibly defend maintaining that status? How can you defend wanting to be a benefit junkie? If we are not subsidised, then their assertion and argument fails. Their point of view cannot be justified.

Regarding Alan's post above, I agree with quite a lot of it, but with independence at least we can try to do something about the problems that affect Scotland. At present we are prevented from doing more than tinkering.

#200 Deedee

Deedee
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Wonder what , if anything, the half of the Netherlands population who aren't from Holland feel/think about their national team being referred to by lots of the media and their supporters as Holland?

My (pacifist) other half has to be restrained from throwing objects at the tv every time she hears it.
Can you hear Talvin Singh?

#201 scotlad

scotlad
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Spending on the public sector would still be very large and a pressure on government expenditure.
Any money from oil would need to be used to plug the public funding gap so no oil fund would be available (admited by A Salmond esq).
There would still be a health crisis in Scotland with NHS straining under care for elderly, fat, unfit and those who smoke and drink to excess.
We would still have Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, Green and SNP (the party of Scotland) parties.
There would be competing demands from health, education, social services, emergency services, armed forces, infrastructure etc etc on government.
Glasgow would still have some of the worst housing and life expectancy in the western world.
Aberdeen would continue to outperform the UK with it's continual oil boom and quality of living.
Politics would still be dominated by those who were social workers, trade unionists or solicitors.
Business, political and legal hierarchies will continue to be dominated by 2 universities (Edinburgh and St Andrews).

Should you not really have posted this in the alternative 'What If We Voted Yes' thread, Alan? Or are you saying that, regardless of how we vote, you don't think anything will change anyway?
It's only funny until someone gets hurt... then it's hilarious

#202 perthTam

perthTam
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

As this is the current situation we find ourselves in within the UK, do you not think we should try something different from the current set up?

Spelling is a lossed art.