Photo

Nigels Silly Nannies V Ukraine

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 giblet

giblet
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

For a country with "low expectations", they seem to have woken up a bit this morning. This is much more like it! Hodgson saying Rooney is "their Pele", Sky talking about who they will play in the quarter finals. Makes it a lot easier to support Ukraine.

I actually think they will get a least a draw tonight and set up a quarter against Spain. I then expect the Spanish to give them the horsing of their lives.

Must be worth a cheeky bet on Rooney getting sent off tonight?
    • ​​"On 18th September 2014 between the hours of 7am and 10pm, absolute sovereign power will lie in the hands of the Scottish people."  J Sillars 2014

#2 hannibal smith

hannibal smith
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

what do they need to do get get Italy in the QF?
better the France result or if France win, knock in more goals than they do?

Running a Loch Ness Marathon for the Sunshine Appeal  https://mydonate.bt..../alasdairsmith1

www.faircitytartanarmy.com

#3 hairy de janairy

hairy de janairy
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

sooner engerlund are out the better..rooney coming in tonight fresh champing at the bit..reckon he will score a few..the euros is fairly open i reckon..who would hv bet that netherlands go out without a point!
a fear that engerlund can sneak thru a few more rounds..think i might start betting for them to hedge my emotions..starting with tonight 2-0 win rooney to score..( maybe time yet for him to be top scorer)

#4 ParisInAKilt

ParisInAKilt
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'd expect Italy or Spain to beat them but it will be close

Assuming they get through which won't be easy
Pick it out Landreau

#5 Lion Rampant

Lion Rampant
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

what do they need to do get get Italy in the QF?
better the France result or if France win, knock in more goals than they do?

Pretty much.

#6 big_matt

big_matt
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'd expect Italy or Spain to beat them but it will be close

Assuming they get through which won't be easy

I agree with this.

Should they get through tonight, people are thinking that Spain/Italy will give them a beating. I think they would be tight games (especially the way England will be set up).

#7 Tartan_Don

Tartan_Don
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

France 2 - Sweden 1
Ukraine 2 - Ingerlund 0

Cheers :beer2:
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

#8 Dave in London

Dave in London
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Very worried.

This is the biggest game in Ukraine's history, they're at home and will have 90% of the stadium roaring them on.

I'd take a scrappy 0-0 right now.

#9 giblet

giblet
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

think you will be okay tonight, Ukraine team are not good. I think they were lucky to beat Sweden.
    • ​​"On 18th September 2014 between the hours of 7am and 10pm, absolute sovereign power will lie in the hands of the Scottish people."  J Sillars 2014

#10 silverbear

silverbear
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Very worried.

This is the biggest game in Ukraine's history, they're at home and will have 90% of the stadium roaring them on.

I'd take a scrappy 0-0 right now.

Apart from the 2006 World Cup when they reached the QF?
"If they played on the street then we would support from the pavement"

#11 Dave in London

Dave in London
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Apart from the 2006 World Cup when they reached the QF?

No, I'd say them playing in a do or die game in the biggest event their country has ever hosted is bigger.

#12 Dave in London

Dave in London
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Presumably you assumed that I assumed it was the biggest game as they were playing England?

#13 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

This is much more like it! Hodgson saying Rooney is "their Pele",

No he never

#14 Lion Rampant

Lion Rampant
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Presumably you assumed that I assumed it was the biggest game as they were playing England?

Probably not, I think it's fairly valid to think that a World Cup Quarter Final would be up there as one of the biggest games in their history. On the face of it you'd be hard pushed to argue that a group game in the European Championships is anywhere near a WCQF in importance but there are other factors to consider.

I think when you take into account the circumstances then it's definitely one of the biggest in their history and could propel them to a QF or SF of a major tourney in their own back yard.

Can see both points, but would maybe see the WCQF as a slightly bigger deal at the moment.

#15 Dave in London

Dave in London
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Probably not, I think it's fairly valid to think that a World Cup Quarter Final would be up there as one of the biggest games in their history. On the face of it you'd be hard pushed to argue that a group game in the European Championships is anywhere near a WCQF in importance but there are other factors to consider.

I think when you take into account the circumstances then it's definitely one of the biggest in their history and could propel them to a QF or SF of a major tourney in their own back yard.

Can see both points, but would maybe see the WCQF as a slightly bigger deal at the moment.

Nah.