Photo

Scotland Vs New Zealand 1982

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Davied14

Davied14
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

Does anybody have a copy the Scotland 5-2 New Zealand match from the 1982 world cup on DVD that they could burn me a copy of please?

I could provide a copy of the Paris match from 2007 in exchange.

#2 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 29,357 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I've got it.

#3 beefham

beefham
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sad thing is, they would probably give us a right good game at the very least now

#4 Davied14

Davied14
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've got it.

You can't recieve new PM's at the moment Cove. Will I message you through FB instead?

#5 Red Label

Red Label
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sad thing is, they would probably give us a right good game at the very least now

Based on their recent 2-0 loss to New Caledonia, even Old Caledonia shouldn't have too much to worry about.
For Export Only...

#6 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 29,357 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

You can't recieve new PM's at the moment Cove. Will I message you through FB instead?

Can't I?

Yeah, that's fine.

#7 Toepoke

Toepoke
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Put the shitters up us for a while that night too.
In fact the 2 goals they scored ended up putting us out :(

#8 wellyman

wellyman
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Put the shitters up us for a while that night too.
In fact the 2 goals they scored ended up putting us out :(

Those goals did'nt help but i still think when Hansen ran into Miller in the 85th minute against Russia fecked us !!! - Whenever Hansen sits on the telly and makes comments about teams bad defending, my mind always goes back to that night in Malaga :angry:

#9 mcnpauls

mcnpauls
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Those goals did'nt help but i still think when Hansen ran into Miller in the 85th minute against Russia fecked us !!! - Whenever Hansen sits on the telly and makes comments about teams bad defending, my mind always goes back to that night in Malaga :angry:

You're both right: we went out on goal difference, so if we hadn't gieven away those two to New Zealand, we'd have gone through; and we'd been the better team against the USSR, it was 1-1 and it looked like we could beat them, until Hansen changed the match.

It's not a popular thing to say, but I Big Jock's back four against New Zealand was poorly thought out: he stuck with McGrain, who was well past his best, and his dreadful mistake let New Zealand score first, dented our team's confidence and boosted theirs, allowing them to keep pressing and force Alan Evans, who should never have been in the squad, let alone playing, to gift them another goal. Meanwhile, the greatest defensive partnership in Scottish history - McLeish and Miller - were left watching from the bench, while half of our second greatest partnership - Paul Hegarty - was watching it at home on the telly as Evans had taken his place.

Still, the midfield played well and WGS was on particularly great form. I also loved John Robertson's goal from the free-kick, nobody ever seems to remember it, yet it was a cracker.

#10 wellyman

wellyman
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I suppose it is what they call squad rotation today but i believe you play your strongest team at all times, McLeish & Miller should have been starters in all those games, I remember Robertsons free kick as i was having a drink from one of those spanish drink holders that hold red wine or sangria at the time and the stuff went all over my shirt and i could'nt get the stain out.
One thing that always baffled me with Big Jock was why he played Wark out wide in the midfield, at the time Wark was the leading scorer in European football, having scored something like 14 goals for Ipswich town when they won the uefa cup but that was done by him playing a central midfield roll for Ipswich - Suppose it's a case of what could have been !!!!

#11 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

was only a nipper at the time but love going back to the good old days on the telly.

must be really weird knowing that you know your gonna qualify for forthcoming tournament and that you will have a really good team. :blink:

bring back the days when we had the squads of 74/78/82/86 and 90. :ok:
Wallace : why am I a traitor when I swear no allegiance to eng**nd ?

#12 beefham

beefham
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Alan Hansen........enough said

#13 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

eh :blink:
Wallace : why am I a traitor when I swear no allegiance to eng**nd ?

#14 Orraloon

Orraloon
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

must be really weird knowing that you know your gonna qualify for forthcoming tournament

Even in those good old days we didn't "know" we were going to qualify. It was always very tight. I could be wrong but I think 1974 is the only time we qualified before the last game. We always needed to someting in our last qualifer. Granted in those days we were a wee bit more confident that we could do it but it was never a certainty.

#15 Orraloon

Orraloon
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

You're both right: we went out on goal difference, so if we hadn't gieven away those two to New Zealand, we'd have gone through; and we'd been the better team against the USSR, it was 1-1 and it looked like we could beat them, until Hansen changed the match.

It's not a popular thing to say, but I Big Jock's back four against New Zealand was poorly thought out: he stuck with McGrain, who was well past his best, and his dreadful mistake let New Zealand score first, dented our team's confidence and boosted theirs, allowing them to keep pressing and force Alan Evans, who should never have been in the squad, let alone playing, to gift them another goal. Meanwhile, the greatest defensive partnership in Scottish history - McLeish and Miller - were left watching from the bench, while half of our second greatest partnership - Paul Hegarty - was watching it at home on the telly as Evans had taken his place.

Still, the midfield played well and WGS was on particularly great form. I also loved John Robertson's goal from the free-kick, nobody ever seems to remember it, yet it was a cracker.

Aye, that game effectively ended Danny McGrain's international career. He was only 32 at the time too.