Photo

The Ballad Of Maddog Mcleod

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Billy maddog Mcleod is a friend and long time member of the tartan army. Unfortunately he has been diagnoses with terminal cancer. He has led a somewhat colourful life and not always on the right side of the law. Anyway the "ballad of maddog Mcleod" is is autobiography and available for download at Amazon. It is a story about Billy's life in general but much of it focuses on his time following Scotland. I'd recommend it for two reasons, firstly it is a damn good read and secondly all the proceeds are going to Macmillan cancer care. Some of you might have seen billy interview in stv news on Tuesday night. If you missed it it's on YouTube. I think the price is £4.00 and (IMO) worth every penny

#2 Davied14

Davied14
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'll buy this tonight. :ok:

Some of the stories mentioned are in Over The Top With the Tartan Army aren't they?

#3 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'll buy that.

Best wishes to Billy.

Edited by jock strap, 01 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Wallace : why am I a traitor when I swear no allegiance to eng**nd ?

#4 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'll buy this tonight. :ok:

Some of the stories mentioned are in Over The Top With the Tartan Army aren't they?

Aye some but not all and certain none of his life ( which is interesting to say the least) away from the football

#5 Flure

Flure
  • 23,921 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00G4BIIXK

Fancy treating yourself to a self-catering break on the majestic Isle of Skye? www.skyeluxurycottage.com

#6 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Canna find it on ebay.

Dinna have a kindle, prefer to read a book.

#7 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Canna find it on ebay.

Dinna have a kindle, prefer to read a book.

I think ( at the moment anyway ) it's only available on kindle. I'll see if I can find out if it's going to be released in hard copy for you technophobes

#8 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think ( at the moment anyway ) it's only available on kindle. I'll see if I can find out if it's going to be released in hard copy for you technophobes

Cheers Tam.

See ye soon :ok:

Edited by jock strap, 01 November 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#9 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Cheers Tam.

See ye soon :ok:

Nae worries Del. Hopefully getting out for a few beers in the next few weeks, keep us posted on yor weekends off

#10 jock strap

jock strap
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Nae bother pal.

#11 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

This autobiography will be a great companion when you want to drop in and join the rather dodgy company of Billy 'Mad Dog' McLeod and his mates for a few shenanigans. The author takes you on a very funny walk though his life which is, at times sad, but usually hilarious and very often bizarre. After an account of his early life, during which time he was able to avail himself of 'Her Majesty's Pleasure', for much of the book you find yourself on tour with Mad Dog and his equally mad collection of pals as they make their way around the World to support the Scotland football team. This is the Tartan Army, which Mad Dog has tattooed prominently on his arm. One of my favourite stories is when they meet a stray dog in Italy. Caesar, the dog, becomes just one of the boys as the group find themselves causing havoc in the south of France. This is just shortly after they have laid a wreath at the grave of Bonnie Prince Charlie in the Vatican City in Rome...yes, I do mean 'in' the Vatican. In fact you get the feeling that the author would have fitted in quite well back at the time of Bonnie Prince Charlie and Culloden. And you are left with the lingering suspicion that if he had the outcome of the battle might have been a bit different. The book is a treasure trove of stories. The narrative flows along very well. You feel that you are sitting there listening to McLeod himself talk in the accent of his local part of Scotland. While many of the antics he recounts are hair raising to say the least, you are strangely drawn to the guy. He may not have been the type of chap your Mother would have been happy you were going out to play with, but it would have been a fast learning curve and you'd have probably ended up the better for it....had you survived to tell the tale! Well Mad Dog has, thankfully, and this book proves it.

#12 Wibble

Wibble
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Tam Ritchie: taxi driver, raconteur, (foreign and domestic) hospital food reviewer and now, book publicist - is there no beginning to this four-fingered deviant's immense array of talents?    :D

'Be sure to wear, some flour in your hair,' - Fanny Craddock TA

#13 ALBANACH

ALBANACH
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Tam, did he fall into the harbour in Torshavn by any chance? I remember helping a MacLeod from Arbroath out of the water the last time there but not sure if its the same fellow.

#14 tam4ritchie

tam4ritchie
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Different McLeod Ali

#15 davetenerife

davetenerife
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

Just bought it on kindle. Will read it on my Bangkok- London-Aberdeen-Stavanger-Oslo-Molde Flights.