Photo

George Burley Poll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

Poll: George Burley Poll (622 member(s) have cast votes)

Should George Burely continue as manager?

1. Yes (320 votes [51.45%])

Percentage of vote: 51.45%

2. No (217 votes [34.89%])

Percentage of vote: 34.89%

3. Undecided (85 votes [13.67%])

Percentage of vote: 13.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#196 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

Wow. Never said they were further forward, more they were going backwards or is that too difficult to grasp ?

That was MY point that you asked for :rolleyes:

I didnt realise you were so blinking deluded about where our team is going though

Kinda worrying.

Deluded? as I said, you're the man with the sandwich board that thinks everyone else is wrong.

My opinion has been made tho and i will say no more about it

Phew.
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#197 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Reeky will never recognize that you have a valid point regardless of how valid that point may be or how hard you try to explain it to him. Take my advice and don't waste your time.

You can hand him an olive branch, try to joke with him, try to establish some middle ground. No use, he is right and anyone who does not share his undying faith & confidence in Burley is wrong.

Unfortunately Reeky fails to grasp that: Contempt prior to investigation will keep a man in ever lasting ignorance.
Sad but true.

:rolleyes: :wave: :lol:

It's so sad to read the nonsense you post, I feel sorry for you.
Tickets wanted: USA 98, Colombia 96, Malta 97, Denmark 96, Sweden 95, Greece 94, Estonia 93, Norway 92. http://www.scotlandprogrammes.co.uk

#198 ReekySporran

ReekySporran
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

Interesting to note that AM played McManus, Ferguson, Miller and McFadden (no Hutton) in the Georgia game so he was going for a more attacking style, probably in an attempt to get pts before playing Italy, and obviously it didn't work. A lot of people were crying out for a 4-4-2 formation and when he did use it, he now gets criticized.

What I don't understand is having learnt those lessons from the last campaign, and indeed the 3 friendlies earlier this year, GB plays a 4-4-2 against a potentially difficult team in Macedonia (where he did have the services of Miller and McManus) and look what happens.

We have been given a lifeline with the results on Wednesday and now still have a fair chance to qualify, if our performances improve drastically. However, even when Hutton and Ferguson get back we will still have to play a damn sight better and with more astute tactics and confidence if we are going to get a result. GB produced good teams at Ipswich and Hearts, but I've yet to see a Scotland team play a good game under GB, much to my surprise. I hope to heck he can turn things around and give the Argies a tough game in November.

Burley wants to stamp his own style onto the team, he wants to get us to play a more attacking style more often. He got that badly wrong in the first half on Saturday and hopefully he will learn from it. Lawrie Sanchez had a tough start to his NI managerial stint, but he done rather well in the end.

As others have pointed out, playing 4-5-1 is not the way to progress. We just about hit the ceiling as far as that formation is concerned in the last campaign, we now need to find a way of taking the game to so called better opponents and pressing them back, not sneaking a goal and hanging on for dear life.

The problems are that it's a favoured metholodgy for Walter Smith at Ibrox and at Tynecastle, so it's difficult to get the players in such a mindset when they join up for International games.

Either way, if we have to suffer short term pain for long term gain then so be it. Burley might not be the answer, Ally Bear and the Canadian might be right, but we need to give Burley more than 3 competitive games to prove himself.

#199 Winnipeg Exile

Winnipeg Exile
  • Banned
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

Burley wants to stamp his own style onto the team, he wants to get us to play a more attacking style more often. He got that badly wrong in the first half on Saturday and hopefully he will learn from it. Lawrie Sanchez had a tough start to his NI managerial stint, but he done rather well in the end.

As others have pointed out, playing 4-5-1 is not the way to progress. We just about hit the ceiling as far as that formation is concerned in the last campaign, we now need to find a way of taking the game to so called better opponents and pressing them back, not sneaking a goal and hanging on for dear life.

The problems are that it's a favoured metholodgy for Walter Smith at Ibrox and at Tynecastle, so it's difficult to get the players in such a mindset when they join up for International games.

Either way, if we have to suffer short term pain for long term gain then so be it. Burley might not be the answer, Ally Bear and the Canadian might be right, but we need to give Burley more than 3 competitive games to prove himself.

:rolleyes: 2 many beers on the way to Praha? Proclaimers sounding good at the moment? :wave:

You are even making sense today Reeky. I can actually agree with most of this post :lol:

I would like to also see Burley be adaptable. Horses for courses really. Different approach required for Amsterdam than Iceland at Hampden.

Edited by Winnipeg Exile, 17 October 2008 - 02:33 PM.

“I do want to play for Scotland. I never made myself unavailable. I don't want people saying I turned my back on my country because I didn't." “If I am selected I will play”. Steven Fletcher.

#200 Boob-1870

Boob-1870
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Still think its too early to judge him yet. He has made mistakes and playing one up front at Hampden which was his biggest yet, but i cant really think of any available manager or any manger the SFA's salary could pay. We should see improvment hopefully when Ferguson and Hutton are back.

#201 crossan

crossan
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well said Reeky.
Saor Alba

#202 Admin3

Admin3
  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

The Norway game is now history, and so is this poll.