Photo

Points For Those Drawn In The Ballot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#31 Jimbo

Jimbo
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Thats beacuse you haven't been sending in proof of attendance. I have loads of home points :lol:

I don`t have to send in proof of attendance anymore :lol:

my point (ha ha get it) was that you seem to be insinuating attendance at friendlies is just a 'jolly'.

In general yes.Nothing at stake in a friendly/glorified bounce game so it seen as a guid swally weekend or weekdays for the lads,result being unimportant

Going to a competitive game doesn't make you any more a deserving fan than going to a friendly does. Home or away.

Never said it did

#32 footsoldier

footsoldier
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

To be honest it wouldn't be fair if he didn't get the point.

But IMO the fairest system (a lot of work for the SSC tho') would be every SSC member that can prove they travelled should get a point - ticket or no ticket! (I think that not getting the point is getting kicked in the teeth twice).

You have to book before you know if you get a ticket. The point should be for making that commitment regardless of whether or not you get a ticket. (AS LONG AS YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE SSC!!!)

The long and the short of this is that you may need 2 points instead of 1, or 5 points instead of 2, to get a ticket in any given game. But on the other hand those who (perhaps) went to Iceland, Macedonia and Amsterdam but lost out all three times would now have three points and would get a ticket for Norway.

The reason the SFA cant do as you've suggested, is simply becuase they cannot be shown to be encouraging travelling with no ticket, or encouraging fans to travel knowing they are going to buy tickets for the Holland end. This would have security issues from Fifa. We all know this happens, SFA know it happens, but they cannot be seen to be encouraging it.

My experience with the SSC so far:

After letting old pre-96 STC membership lapse, (though I still travelled), I called the SSC before Georgia away asking if I could re-join to get official away ticket. No, they said, because list is closed to stop people joining just looking for a home Italy ticket. "OK", says I, "can I join only for an away ticket, and you can ban me from getting a home ticket this year?" No. "Ok, can I just get a ticket for Scotland end?" No, because you're not a member....

So, I travelled to Georgia anyway, and stayed in same hotel as SSC staff, (who could have given Ferguson, et al, lessons on late-night drunkenness - at members expense no doubt).

The day before game. Me: "I called you last month, now I'm staying here, any chance of a ticket?" SSC: No. Come back tomorrow.

Next day: "I'm still here, (in your hotel, drinking in same hotel bar), would it be possible to get a ticket?" SSC: We don't start work til 12 O'clock, so can't talk to you....(the friendly TA spirit!)

Is that someone who does their job properly - ie ensuring that Scotland fans can be accounted for and not encouraged to go without a ticket? As you read elsewhere, there were hundreds minimum of spare tix for Georgia, but they preferred to take them home...

Since then, been at Georgia away, Macedonia, Iceland and Holland - the last 4 away games + dozens before then. Entered ballots for them all, have no points. Great system. I remember in Prague 99, the non-ballot winners stil got points, so it's not a new concept.

When we got notification of ballot for Zero pointers for Holland, I emailed offering to send proof of attendance at all these games, in hope of getting a ticket. No response.

Will I bother joining again...errr no. They are encouraging people to travel unofficially, not discouraging it. If they were polite, or even civil with it, it might help. But, they're not. They seem to take a pride in their ignorance, stubbornness and rudeness to people who pay for their wages (adn no doubt their booze-ups).

Luckily I've never been stuck for a game I really wanted to get into, but it's not the point.(no pun intended). The plot has been lost.
"..but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

#33 Vidal Sassoon

Vidal Sassoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

We're just victims of our own success!? :unsure:

#34 A Proud Wee Bonnie Lass

A Proud Wee Bonnie Lass
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

I was unlucky in the ballot and never got a ticket when I was in Amsterdam so I don't deserve a point. I'd love to get one just for travelling over but if everyone was to get them for that too many people would be entitled for tickets and they would have to start balloting people on 3 points plus.

Dissapointed you don't have more points? Why weren't you following Scotland before we won in Paris then?

Why does it always come down to this? Some fans can't afford to go to away games or have no one to go with. (Both apply to me) If I could have it my way I would have been going to away games for the last decade but its not been possible. That doesn't make me any less of a Scotland fan than those on 10 points.

There should be something done for people who lose out in a ballot. Maybe if you lose in a ballot you should be in front of those who won in the ballot for the next game. Not sure how feasible this would be to organise but it's certainly a bit unfair.

From a selfsish point of view, I like this idea :unsure:
If you don't want to see Scots represent England at the Olympics, why are you happy to see English represent Scotland all year round.

#35 GhostZapper

GhostZapper
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

My experience with the SSC so far:

After letting old pre-96 STC membership lapse, (though I still travelled), I called the SSC before Georgia away asking if I could re-join to get official away ticket. No, they said, because list is closed to stop people joining just looking for a home Italy ticket. "OK", says I, "can I join only for an away ticket, and you can ban me from getting a home ticket this year?" No. "Ok, can I just get a ticket for Scotland end?" No, because you're not a member....

So, I travelled to Georgia anyway, and stayed in same hotel as SSC staff, (who could have given Ferguson, et al, lessons on late-night drunkenness - at members expense no doubt).

The day before game. Me: "I called you last month, now I'm staying here, any chance of a ticket?" SSC: No. Come back tomorrow.

Next day: "I'm still here, (in your hotel, drinking in same hotel bar), would it be possible to get a ticket?" SSC: We don't start work til 12 O'clock, so can't talk to you....(the friendly TA spirit!)

Is that someone who does their job properly - ie ensuring that Scotland fans can be accounted for and not encouraged to go without a ticket? As you read elsewhere, there were hundreds minimum of spare tix for Georgia, but they preferred to take them home...

Since then, been at Georgia away, Macedonia, Iceland and Holland - the last 4 away games + dozens before then. Entered ballots for them all, have no points. Great system. I remember in Prague 99, the non-ballot winners stil got points, so it's not a new concept.

When we got notification of ballot for Zero pointers for Holland, I emailed offering to send proof of attendance at all these games, in hope of getting a ticket. No response.

Will I bother joining again...errr no. They are encouraging people to travel unofficially, not discouraging it. If they were polite, or even civil with it, it might help. But, they're not. They seem to take a pride in their ignorance, stubbornness and rudeness to people who pay for their wages (adn no doubt their booze-ups).

Luckily I've never been stuck for a game I really wanted to get into, but it's not the point.(no pun intended). The plot has been lost.

Imagine the other 11-12,000 emailed them saying they could prove they were in Paris and could they have a Holland ticket? or the other 3,000 in Skopje that didnt get a ticket, or the 1000 in Iceland that didnt get a ticket.

Youve got have some kind of rules to stick to, otherwise it becomes a farce. Everyone knows the rules when they join.

Prague would have got you the one point needed for the Holland game.

#36 McFootSoldier

McFootSoldier
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

This is not fair. 1/10 of a point for people that are unsuccessful in the ballot. If you are unlucky enough to miss out 10 times, at least you'd have a point.

Think an extension of this would plug one of the gaps in the wall.

Assuming the SSC have a record of who is successful and unsuccessful in ballots, put a flag on everyones record with their last ballot success U1/U2/U3/S, every time you go to a ballot those with higher U's are given priority and so on. When you win a ballot your flag is reset to S until next time.

Assuming a computer database is used and not a big hat with bits of paper in it !

#37 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 28,555 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Great system. I remember in Prague 99, the non-ballot winners stil got points, so it's not a new concept.

Given the points system didn't exist back then, ballot losers were not awarded points.

What the STC did then was guarantee those people tickets for Wembley.

Vote No and forever lose the right to complain about a UK Govt that does not represent Scotland
Vote Yes in 2014 and get the government we want, every single time

#38 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Great system. I remember in Prague 99, the non-ballot winners stil got points, so it's not a new concept.

Yeah, but back then you only had something like 8,000 members in the travel club... so it was never really a big deal back then.

When I joined in 2000 there was something like 12,000-15,000 members.... then about 4/5 years ago it jumped to above 20,000.
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#39 Cove_Sheep

Cove_Sheep
  • 28,555 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, but back then you only had something like 8,000 members in the travel club... so it was never really a big deal back then.

When I joined in 2000 there was something like 12,000-15,000 members.... then about 4/5 years ago it jumped to above 20,000.

Clark, the points system didn't come into being until the Faroes/Iceland away games under Berti Vogts.

Vote No and forever lose the right to complain about a UK Govt that does not represent Scotland
Vote Yes in 2014 and get the government we want, every single time

#40 wanderer

wanderer
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Clark, the points system didn't come into being until the Faroes/Iceland away games under Berti Vogts.

Yeah I know, but just saying you can not compare the SSC now to the travel club in 1999.... wasn't the whole system remarketed in 2003 and relaunched as the SSC so that points would count towards games where needed?
If you still use tippex
If you think Puma Clyde is the greatest trainer of ever
If Argentina 78 was your favourite world cup
If Watership Down makes you cry

come join Wanderer's Secret Society

#41 DavyP

DavyP
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

What I think might be worthwhile the SFA considering is giving points to all those who applied to the ballot and can prove they travelled to Holland.

If you want points for travelling to Holland (which I also did and was SSC ticketless) then I want a point for every home game which is an away game to me....

Just accept it...the ballot was fair and square and those who were lucky enough to be successful deserve their point on merit...

DavyP
Cyprus TA
Thank feck nobody has knicked the rail lines out of Greenock

#42 kumnio

kumnio
  • 14,439 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Points available for the friendly in Japan later this year, everyone can get one :unsure:

Let 2014 be the start of a better Scotland.

#43 Ilovefitba

Ilovefitba
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Just accept it...the ballot was fair and square and those who were lucky enough to be successful deserve their point on merit...

I still think there is an inherent unfairness in losing out in a ballot.

I had been to lithuania, ukraine, france and czech rep before the macedonia game so had 4 points. I lost out in the ballot amongst 4 pointers. I went anyway and got in the home end but that's a by the by.

So a fellow 4 pointer who got lucky in the ballot is now on 6 points (assuming we both went to iceland and amsterdam) while I am on 5 (lithuania game dropped off). So they are more likely to get Norway tickets than me. Where's the fairness in that? So win in a ballot and you get lucky twice. You get the ticket at the time and you get an unfair advantage in the future.

maybe i am just bitter that I have lost out in both of the ballots I have been in - Macedonia and Iceland in 2002 :lol: anyway fingers crossed my 5 points gets me a norway ticket :unsure:
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.

#44 Garywag

Garywag
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

I'm on 6 points now, would have been 7 had I not missed out on the Macedonia ballot and I assume I lose my 1st point from Ukraine when Norway comes around or something so will remain on 6 which I assume (hope) will be enough for a play off ticket should we get there although i'm kinda hopeful that there is no away friendlies during that time as I very much doubt I can afford any more

It was really annoying missing out on Macedonia when my other mate in the ballot was successful and I would have encouraged me getting and the others who missed out getting a point as well but I have accepted that it's not going to happen and just dealt with it. It's not caused me any trouble anyway as I was obviously fine for Holland and should be fine for Norway.

I got lucky that my 1st game was Ukraine away and they had such a huge stadium that everyone got a point. Those wanting to get points on the board need a game like that or an away friendly to get them going. It's just unfortunate that Holland are the only team in our group this time around with a big stadium whereas last campaign there was Ukraine, France and Italy in which I managed to get tickets and points for all 3.
'It's an iron lung, it keeps me from dying.. I WANNA PLAY BASEBALL!!!!!'

#45 Jimbo

Jimbo
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm on 6 points now, would have been 7 had I not missed out on the Macedonia ballot and I assume I lose my 1st point from Ukraine when Norway comes around or something

Yep,point lost when Ukraine drops off the ladder come the Norway game

I'm on 6 points now, would have been 7 had I not missed out on the Macedonia ballot

Excuse my density but how did you miss out on the macedonia ballot? :unsure:

Edited by Jimbo, 06 April 2009 - 03:39 PM.